Thread: Where to wear it in New England

Where to wear it in New England

Summer is coming and I really, really want to get out more. There have been plenty of helpful posts about CDers being accepted in gay bars and gay-welcoming communities. Then, there are the gay bars that may be less accepting.
    I want to spend time dressed in some of the gay-friendly communities in New England, including Ogunquit (Maine), Provincetown and Boston/Cambridge. I've seen Jacques in Boston mentioned a few times. I've walked around Ogunquit but it was pretty dreary during the winter.
    For those of you who live in or have visited New England, are there bars and restaurants where you have felt particularly welcome? Or, not so welcome?

I'm going to do this myself this summer...You find a good place, I'll come with you!

Banned Read only
    You do not have to confine yourself to a gay bar unless that is your thing. Mainstream places are plenty welcoming.

New England is probably much like anywhere else.... the truth is that it's probably just fine to dress as you please just about anywhere. Because I live here, I usually don't go out much unless I go to a TG event. But honestly, you would be fine walking around Boston, or sightseeing anywhere.... In Western Mass, where I spend most of my time, Northampton is a very friendly city. Much more geared toward gays and lesbians, but accepting of all.
    I agree with Jennifer, though.... Any place would be just fine. Just find your inner girl, take a big breath, and head out. Its a big world out there! Good luck!
    Hugs, Dea

Aspiring Member
    Call the contact number for the Sunshine Club in Hadley, MA which is just across the river from Northampton. I'll bet you'll get some great advice! You can also call the Stonewall Center at UMass in Amherst, another stone's throw away!

Cheryl

Go to Paula Youngs wigs factory store in west bridegewater mass, the ladies are so helpful you'll have a ball tryingon dozens of wigs and get a new look for a great price so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You ought to be able to go anywhere in P-Town
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I have gone everywhere for years with no problem,mainstream is best once you are comfortable in your own skin. Portland,Salem Ma,all of Boston[except the sport's bars,generally] Providence,RI,Newport,RI.. More places than there is time for but many places to catch a cool breeze on a hot Summer night..enjoy!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Silver Member
    Styxx and Blackstone's in Portland
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

I'll second the recommendation for Northampton; a wonderful town and very accepting

Third shout out to Northampton - as a once longtime resident it supremely non judgemental. Highest density population of lesbians in the US I understand. I think there's a drag night at Diva's nightclub down pleasant street, lots of restaurants, and you can find a few places to stay overnight including the Hotel Northampton. Enjoy!

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I'll update as my travels progress.

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    I reside in Portsmouth, NH and spend my weekends in Boston, MA so I'm very familiar with the area. Maine St in Ogunquit is a good place as are clubs like Machine, An Tua Nua and Jacques in Boston. All of Provincetown is great. The only place I've had a problem was at the 313 club in Manchester. Was asked to leave after using the women's bathroom.

I know some folks who frequent 313 in Manch and find it just fine. I haven't been there but I'm told the rule is that your "plumbing" determines bathroom choice. Make of that what you will.... To a Barely out girl, I don't know what's more stressful, using the ladies room or the men's room en femme. It's how they do things there though, I guess.
    "I want you all to call me Loretta." - The Life of Brian

Anywhere in P-town or Ogunquit are perfectly fine. Boston/Cambridge have a ton of places that are super accepting and I'd recommend you look up Sister of Boston on Yahoo Groups (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_boston/). They offer events pretty much every week and have a lot of places they have reviewed and been to.

Joanna

before i retired i lived and worked in hudson ny and used to go to the red dot there.a restaurant/bar with a large gay clietele as well.if you like browsing antique stores there are about 50 of them there.
    where has all the glamour gone?
    marlene dietrich is my idol

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Laura View Post
    I know some folks who frequent 313 in Manch and find it just fine. I haven't been there but I'm told the rule is that your "plumbing" determines bathroom choice. Make of that what you will.... To a Barely out girl, I don't know what's more stressful, using the ladies room or the men's room en femme. It's how they do things there though, I guess.
    The difference is that I pass remarkably well (I get female pronouns without makeup or forms and I use the female bathrooms everywhere else without issue) It matters to some of us (my transgender friends won't use the bathroom there) and the place is owned by a conservative douche who doesn't know the difference between a full time transgender patron and one of their clownish drag queens.
    Last edited by gender_blender; 05-17-2013 at 06:59 AM.

First, let me put in a pitch for Club 313 in Manchester, NH. My group, Sisters of Manchester meets there the 1st and 3rd Saturday's of every month. We've been going there for over 3 years and always have a wonderful time. New owners took over about a year ago and both of them are very enthusiastic supporters of the TG community. The new bathroom policy is to use the one you are comfortable with.

Many, if not most places in the greater Boston area are pretty safe bets. Sisters of Boston go out somewhere every Friday night. Give them a look.
    Sally

Board-Certified Shaman LaSirenaBella's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula_56 View Post
    Go to Paula Youngs wigs factory store in west bridegewater mass, the ladies are so helpful you'll have a ball tryingon dozens of wigs and get a new look for a great price so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I second this recommendation. They were so kind to me and my SO at the Paula Young store. I think they would've let us stay there all afternoon, if I didn't feel like I was imposing on them.

Quote Originally Posted by gender_blender View Post
    It matters to some of us (my transgender friends won't use the bathroom there) and the place is owned by a conservative douche who doesn't know the difference between a full time transgender patron and one of their clownish drag queens.
    Gee. WHO determines what's 'clownish'? I suppose YOU know the difference between us ordinary 'clownish' non-passing CDrs and a real full time TGr like yourself. The nerve of that conservative douche to set a rule that applies to EVERYONE based on their plumbing and not on 'looks'. I guess I will just have to go back into my closet as a second class citizen in the TG/CD population.

Quote Originally Posted by Patti Remick View Post
    Gee. WHO determines what's 'clownish'? I suppose YOU know the difference between us ordinary 'clownish' non-passing CDrs and a real full time TG like yourself.
    If you will read your own bold face type you will notice she was referring to the Drag Queens (they perform there every weekend). And to be truthful, several of them actually do put on a female clown face and do not try to appear as a real woman. Also, many of the performers are self avowed gay men, not TG (but not all of them).
    Sally

providence has a few bars the Dark Lady is my favorite. Taunton has Bobbys place and new Bedford has le place. They are all very accepting of crossdressers