Thread: Transgender WHY

Transgender WHY

Hi,

Why is there a cd section and a Transexual section here.
    There is a very big middleground ?
    There are more tg`s than ts`s I would have thought on this forum, and TG`s can and do take low level hormones so why are they being classes as TS ?

Julie

Let me clarify something for you.

Transgendered - Appearing as, wishing to be considered as, or having undergone surgery to become a member of the opposite sex. In other words, CD's, TS etc are all under the transgendered umbrella

http://www.answers.com/transgendered&r=67
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

I am aware of the TG umbrella, but there is a world of difference between a cd and a ts, opposite spectrum poles.

So tell me then , I am not a cd and not a TS so which section do I make a header ?

Julie

Thank You Beauty, no not upset, although "let me clarify something for you" did not sit too well.

The site is superb, but although we are all under the TG label I feel the labelling is a little awry.

I am not the only one who thinks that, there have been a few here who wish to write under the Transexual section but there first thought is well hey "I am not a Transexual". So it stems the flow a little.

Additionally there are 3 girls here to my knowledge so their must be more, who have grown Breasts , love them, happy with them and keeping them, they are are going no further, they classify themselves as TG not a Transexual.

Also their are many Doctors and therapists around the Uk now who are seeing more and more married TG`s seeking Hormone assistance not to transition but to identify themselves and mark themsleves as happy Tg`s.
    Now I know all this label stuff can be a little difficult , but it just begs the question that a super site has such a wide gulf and is not catering for perhaps the majority ground, ie TG.

Lets make a poll on this and see ?

Julie

Hi Julie ~
    I understand what you are saying. Sometimes though, we can get caught up too much in labels and what is expected of us and where specifically we fit in. Its like we feel we must drop into a certain identity or category, in order to be understood.

There are many forums that exist for strictly Transgendered and Transsexual persons. I am a member of 3, and I have found that as excellent as they are, most have a caste system. They have distinct sections for all aspects, dealing with the needs of the Transgendered and Transsexual persons. You pick and choose what sections apply to you specifically.

This forum is very unique. It allows everyone to be themselves and to post among understanding and accepting people, in many cases. I noticed in your previous thread here, you had a large number of replies, so this particular venue must be working for you. After all this is a crossdressing forum. This forum has a provision for TG/TS and I am thankful for that. Most CD forums don't even make that distinction or welcome the TG/TS at all.

My $.02

Kim
    Last edited by Kim E; 12-16-2005 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Ah, well true on your point as well ref the TS section being an ammendment, perhaps the same section should be chaged to Transgender rather than Transexual ?

Julie

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seekertree
    I am not the only one who thinks that, there have been a few here who wish to write under the Transexual section but there first thought is well hey "I am not a Transexual". So it stems the flow a little.
    Julie,

Are you suggesting that as a transexual (all be it pre-op) I should not post in the CD area of this forum.

I reply to posts as and when the fancy takes me, and I put posts in the area I feel is most appropriate. I can't say I've ever given the issue your raising the slightest thought. Perhaps thats because I started off as CD, never expecting to get to the stage that THIS forum has played a very large part in, where I am now (nearly) the woman I always longed to be - I'm hoping for my op within 6 months.

Anne

Confusing isn't it? Personally, I don't like the label 'transexual', since, when you use the word to muggles, they confuse sex with gender. When telling people, I don't want them to consider sex, because they seem to confuse that with sexual preference and the act of sex. That's not what my transition is about, it's about my body and who I am. Transgendered seems to just 'sound' better, but that's just my opinion.
    As to renaming the forum, I don't think that would help. Generally, if you live in your born gender role, whether you change your body or not, though you are trangendered, you'd probably be closer to CD, and if you transition, whether you change your bosy or not, you'd be closer to TS. Again, just my opinion on a blurry subject.
    I think the easiest option is, post where you feel you want to.

Take care
    Maria
    xxx

Departed
    By using the definition of transgendered as described to me by an experienced gender therapist when she was explaining the four groups that make up the gender continuum I'd say TG best describes me - I have one foot in each camp. I need time as a male and I need time as a female. And I've thought about adding a transgender section many times but every time I did I ended up realizing it was unnecessary and would only cause confusion.

If what I want to discuss is something common with transsexuals, I post it here. If it's something more common to crossdressers I post in the MTF section.

There's times when I'm going to post something I have to think "What's the best section to post this in? I'm having a tough time with this so it could go in the Mental Health section but it's something common to many of us so it could go in the Lounge but it's related to crossdressing so I could post it there but it also has some things transsexuals go through..." And when I make a decision where it best fits someone else will come along and say "What's this doing here? It belongs in the ____ section!" Adding a TG section would just cause more confusion.

I know where you're coming from. I'm not being insensitive. I just feel this site doesn't need anymore sections. There's a section for every issue you want to address except maybe why you keep slicing off the tee. But take that to the Lounge and I'm sure you'll get plenty of tips. FORE!

Quote Originally Posted by seekertree
    Ah, well true on your point as well ref the TS section being an ammendment, perhaps the same section should be chaged to Transgender rather than Transexual ?

Julie
    But how would that make any sense? Being transgendered is like the other Julie and the website I provided said that this is transexuals, crossdressers etc. So I can't see changing this section to transgendered would actually benefit anyone really.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Julie, please don't get hung up on labels.

There are arguments around the world what means what. For example, I identify as transgendered, and as a crossdresser. Some say you can't be both, some say you can, blah, blah, blah.

It would make no sense to have a section labeled transgendered separate from male to female crossdressing, when so many crossdressers identify as being transgendered.

Also, it would make no sense to have a section labeled transgendered separate from transexuals, when so many TSs identify as being transgendered.

Note also that even though I am a CD I am not prevented from responding to posts in the TS section as TSs are not prevented from posting in the male to female section.

Maybe you could enlighten us on what you'd like to post in a different sections that would not be appropriate in the male to female section. I can't think of much that has not been discussed there.
    DonnaT

I think most people view the term transsexual to mean something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by WikiPedia
    Transsexual men and women make or desire to make a transition from their birth sex to that of the opposite sex, with some type of medical alteration (gender reassignment therapy) to their body.
    That is also why transsexuals are often divided into two groups - pre-operative and post-operative; ie. there is an implied intent to fully change sex even if the person has not yet.

Transgendered - again in common parlance - seems to be more of an umbrella term covering everything from someone who like to wear panties now and then to someone who from childhood behaved in a manner contrary to their birth sex and has subsequently had gender reasignment surgery.

The labels themselves are not very important, but it does make sense for there to be seperate sections for discussion of things transsexual - for example the choice of which GRS surgeon would have little or no interest to most users of this forum and it would just get lost in the noise. Transsexuals are a small subset of the transgender spectrum and do have some issues that are not really relevant to the wider community represented here, hence a seperate section. As the others said though - if you are interested in such matters, great - come and join the discussion

Kate.
    Suddenly I see
    This is what I wanna be
    Suddenly I see
    Why the hell it means so much to me...

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    That is also why transsexuals are often divided into two groups - pre-operative and post-operative; ie. there is an implied intent to fully change sex even if the person has not yet.

Transgendered - again in common parlance - seems to be more of an umbrella term covering everything from someone who like to wear panties now and then to someone who from childhood behaved in a manner contrary to their birth sex and has subsequently had gender reasignment surgery.
    That's the way I think of the terms transexual and transgendered - rightly or wrongly.

Anne

hillbilly T-girl-hussy

I may not be TS I'm just me and feel right here

But I surely live a real life test for all around me clearly see a real set of breast on me.And that isn't easy and simple cding beginers chat is so repetative.I consider TS people more serious like myself about being who they are and be it,live it and identify with them more so here in the"TS" section I am.

Life is a continuim, starting at one minute old and going to death. Therefore, there are many many different stages through out that life. You may be forty and myself sixty five years old and are at different stage of life. Our needs and views are different.

How does that apply to the subject here? Those of us that are members of this forum are on a continuim from the CD girl that wears panties only going to the post operative TS. (PS--I do not intend to imply that this is the actual continum but is only used to illustrate my point). The needs of CDr wearing only panties are probably different from the post operative TS. But, at some point you have to be realistic because it isn't possible to have a infinate number of sections to cover all the aspect that could be encountered on the continuim.

Like several girls have said, I go to different sections of the forum to post. I post in the Transsexual Discussion although I do not consider myself a transsexual. There isn't a section that exactly fits my description of what I feel I am but that doesn't stop me. I feel free to post in any section that I want to or belong to.

Vivian

Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    I think most people view the term transsexual to mean something like this:

I'd also like to add there is now a fast growing third group: Non-operative. They usually go through the hormone therapy and the plastic surgeries, but have no plans for the final SRS.
    Hail Satin!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra
    But I surely live a real life test for all around me clearly see a real set of breast on me.And that isn't easy and simple cding beginers chat is so repetative.I consider TS people more serious like myself about being who they are and be it,live it and identify with them more so here in the"TS" section I am.
    Well thats fine! If you want a slightly more serious discussion about gender issues then the TS section is probably the right place. The title of the forum section is an irrelevance.

Quote Originally Posted by ReginaK
    I'd also like to add there is now a fast growing third group: Non-operative. They usually go through the hormone therapy and the plastic surgeries, but have no plans for the final SRS.
    Very true, and that group is not that new really - although more common in places like Thailand certainly. Personally I just don't "get" that choice, but each to their own

Katie.
    Suddenly I see
    This is what I wanna be
    Suddenly I see
    Why the hell it means so much to me...

[quote=Julie][font=Comic Sans MS][color=navy]By using the definition of transgendered as described to me by an experienced gender therapist when she was explaining the four groups that make up the gender continuum I'd say TG best describes me - I have one foot in each camp.[quote=Julie]

So Julie does this mean you have two left and right feet? I think you'll need a section just for you. rotflmao At least you do not have to choose just one pair of shoes!
    Last edited by Alison Michelle; 01-08-2006 at 05:57 PM.
    Love & Hugggs,

Alison

Smile , it makes people wonder what your thinking!

This jumble of words certainly mixes me up/ All I know is that if there are more sections, there is more to read and learn.
    hugs,
    j-a
    `Who are YOU?' said the Caterpillar. Alice replied, rather shyly, `I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.'

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra
    [SIZE=3]Yes reading about "what color are your panties" gets a little boring after awhile.
    I post mostly in the lounge it seems as i'm trying to get to know everyone. I know everyone crossdresses here...Now what else? Is another reason i like coming here.
    [/SIZE]