Thread: Posing for your Photo Sessions

Posing for your Photo Sessions

Does anyone put much thought or practice into how you pose in your photo sessions? I look at a lot of red carpet pics and have noticed how many celebs cross their ankles, drop a shoulder, put hands on their hips, etc. Once in awhile they even twirl!

But so many of us look like we're being arrested, or have that frozen in the headlights look....I'd we'd all look better with a little thought in how to pose...

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    What is it with cameras and CDers? Yep, guilty your honour and the tripod's in the trunk too. Looking over photos is an enjoyable way of reliving experiences and the better for working on more natural fem poses. So, it is fun to try new poses - and interests the passers by too.

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    Do I put much thought or practice? Yes, unfortunately I'm still stuck in the sitting down, at the bottom of my steps pose, which is where I've been frozen at for the past 3 years!
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

I put though into my poses. Probably more than I should lol I am always looking for some "different" rather than the same poses over and over but with a different outfit on. I also try to find better spots with better lighting too. It's often said that some of our poses are un natural but standing stiff as a board is also.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

I don't pose any special way when I take pics of myself, preferring to have a natural shot. All of my own avatar pics are done in ambient lighting with no touch ups. I do post other pics at times to get a sense of a new look. If you really want to see me emote and "vogue", however, you need to watch me dance at the club. Had fun last night for sure.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I don't think you need to practice, unless you are also behind the camera. Someone who has experience in portrait photography should be talented and patient enough to get you to contort into the best position to bring out the you in you!
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

When I had a makeover and photoshoot last week I was really lucky that the woman doing it was a very good photographer and expert at posing her subject. I learned loads and it became lots of fun trying out the different poses. I actually began to feel like a model. It meant I got some great shots, full of variety, and had a great time in the process.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    I finally got a tripod so I'm getting better shots, but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my hands

I want to work on doing different poses because it seems like once I break out the camera I do the same 5 or 6 poses I usually do. Maybe I should just look in magazines and copy other women's poses? It owuld be good practice.

When striking a pose you really have to live the part.
    It sounds ridiculous, it is like some of the eloquent poses in fashion magazines, they look good but when you try the pose it is difficult and definitely feels unnatural.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Maybe I'll get in first this time - check out this link: http://digital-photography-school.co...-female-models

Deedee

I live on the west coast of FL.In the Tampa bay area and in Franklin NC
    I sure try to pose and look natural at the same time. Sometimes it works but not always.

when I was doing photo shoots it was like a game of Twister. Left elbow...ear, right ankle 90 degrees, head up chin out, tilt, smile, less teeth more dimples lean in, chest up, point that toe...no the other toe...

But then every picture looked better than the real me
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

It's hard for me to pose as I take my own pics which is quite obvious by looking. I have a small digital that has a ten second timer so have to snap run in heels and get posed. Don't know how many shots went off and caught my behind or me turning or didn't haven't the camera set straight.... Lol

Banned Read only
    The link that Deedee posted is VERY good.

Also, one of the very easiest eays to get better shots [IF your camera and/or software allow it] is to shoot video while you look at the camera and talk about some subject you enjoy talking about or doing and/or are quite knowledgable about. Don't try to sit statically while talking, just talk to the camera as it were a person.

Then you have to sift through the video to pull singles of course, but the pics are likely to be a lot better, and much more natural looking.

Yes, I do put some thought into how I will pose--I work with a timer and I curse myself whenever I strike the same pose twice in a row. The "how to" link is VERY helpful.
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytojillian/

The hardest part used to be hiding the remote. My Canon T2i has a remote and a delay along with the ability to take multiple shots. Like suggested above, you can move through different poses and let the camera shoot away, then pick the good ones. Digital "film" is free so you can take hundreds and then whittle them down to the handful that look good.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Great reference Deedee ... thanks.

Doesn't hurt to be a professional before the cameras 24/7.

Not to mention the old adage of photographers, doesn't really apply anymore in the digital age but "film is my cheapest commodity". In otherwords, take dozens, hundreds of exposures. Cull through those and dispose of 99% of them.

Amazing how that one striking "pose" miraculously appears!

Just a thought.

Don't have to 'think' about it when you're in the moment babe...just BE tha fame ('cause ya know ya Are, eh).