Thread: Out to my Community...Sort of.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar

Out to my Community...Sort of.

My wife has always had a standing rule about not going out in our towns. I have probably blown that to shreds...possibly....But I do believe no one pays any attention unless they are "with" you, so to speak.

I have a Facebook page. I want to become more active with our local LGBT group. Group is called Uniting Pride, Champaign - Urbana. You can Google them, as I think addresses are not allowed. I think they do good work, but have never really looked into them before. I found the site looking for a support group, and I friended them. I intend to become active, but in my drab mode.

Well....Guess whose picture is now displayed right up front at their site as a friend. Yep, that's me. Dont feel uncomfortable about pictures here or on facebook as you are my friends and partners in this journey. But now everyone in our towns has access to my picture without registering here or taking an interest in a TG/TS person on facebook.

Not complaining, but lamenting this old girl's lack of understanding/appreciation for the social media world we live/die in.

It could be a good thing, won't know for awhile. It was just a shock when I came back to their site and saw my pic. At least I was smiling......

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Yes Barbara,
    You do need to realise the implications of the not so social media.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Social Media....

I think I can say, for most of us, the Internet was a remarkable step in our journey. Finding proof that we were NOT alone! I know I felt some relief learning that we were all carrying the same basic baggage. Empowering indeed.

And now, social media throws a unique spin on it. In my situation most of my immediate family and close friends have known about me for a long time now. It's going on like thirteen years actually. Yet as I was deciding about joining this fine group here, I had reservations. I have had my feelings sorted out for a long time. I'm comfortable in my own skin.

But....., what if it hurts someone close to me? My kids come to mind first. Family and then friends. Though I could care less what people think of me, I do care about them. And as we have all found from time to time, "it's a small world". Example; I was working on a business deal with a man I have talked to for a year or so now. Out of the blue I get a phone call from him. When I answered, it was his wife not him. She screamed " this is +#%$!" Remember me? Turns out she had listened to a voice mail I had left her husband. I went to school with her. More than 20 years ago! My name and voice tipped her off.

So, I see your wife's point. It's a small world and you never know.
    "Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."

-- Albert Einstein

My alter ego does not have a page on facebook or any other social media site.
    Trying to keep it seperate from the other that way a future employer will not be able to connect the two of me.
    Renee

Platinum Member
    You can be a friend and supporter of LGBT without being one of the four. I wouldn't sweat it.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Maybe I need to add it was my femme picture. i do nothing drab on FB. Like I say, who would recognize me anyway? Just that wife would go ballistic if she saw it, and it is possible. daughters are semi active there.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    That's right, Kim. In fact, they're starting to use a longer term "LGBTQIA", where the three additional letters stand for "questioning, intersex, allies." (There might be a few other letters in there, too...) "Ally" would certainly describe Barbara-in-male-mode, even if she's not wanting to reveal her TG status.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Don't lose any sleep over it! How can it really harm you? My opinion ,anyway!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    The picture that goes up on FB in the "friend" area is always your current profile picture, equivalent of your avatar. You can change the picture to something else to keep people from recognizing you have they have not happened to have looked already. People on FB change pictures all the time.

I applaud Barbara and anyone else that is concerned enough about our civil rights and basic human dignity to come forward and be a visible participant in the LGBTQIA community. I realize that we've not always gotten along with the "L's" and the "G's," but at this point in our social and political progression, those that can and do come forward to volunteer involvement in whatever sub-group of our spectrum are adding to our incremental progress. Here in the Seattle area it is quite easy to get involved at a significant level, and many including myself can and do. However, outing in an insular, small-town setting can be quite another matter, and not easy at all.

Again, Hats Off To You Barbara, and please accept my deepest thanks! Yay!!!! Ann
    Last edited by Ann Louise; 05-23-2013 at 08:59 PM.
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Ella View Post
    Maybe I need to add it was my femme picture. i do nothing drab on FB. Like I say, who would recognize me anyway? Just that wife would go ballistic if she saw it, and it is possible. daughters are semi active there.

Barbara
    Well, that's a horse of a different color...but just a shade or two. Lets just see how this plays out.