Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Girls .... what are we wearing these days?

Wink Golden Girls .... what are we wearing these days?

There are many members who are "golden girls", and have reached the age at which AARP is sending letters and Medicare is either around the corner or already arrived. We girls do age and become women...and of course how we choose to dress and present our female side has changed as well. So I am wondering what are we wearing these days that's different than prior years? For example, I picked up a pair of Spanx today - not sure our friends in their 30's are there yet.

So Golden Girls (those over 50 - that's the AARP age) what are we wearing today, how do we feel about our femininity and what makes us most comfortable as older women?
    The Wise Ol' Momma Owl....Darla Jean

I am over 50 but I am not old yet.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Banned Read only
    In my early years the first week I owned and still have is a long brunette. I got it because it was shoulder length. Next came a very blond wig which was not as long but still longish. Well, at my age the blond wig is history. Maybe, I'd wear it around the home. Now, well, it's a shoulder length grey wig-straight with curling at the ends. It matches my grey sideburns. I only wear dresses. I was never into mini dresses. My preference for knee length (+/-) hasn't changed. If I ever thought I'd progress into my grandmother's style of yesterday, I quit cross dressing-period.

Hi Darla Jean. Im older than some rock formations, but still dress a little sexy for my age. Not dead yet and making up for lost time!!!!. Hugs Roberta
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oooops! Didn't mean to suggest we are no longer sexy...but I don't think I'd be called a hottie and I certainly wouldn't show up in a miniskirt (which I once could and would wear).
    The Wise Ol' Momma Owl....Darla Jean

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Don't know what AARP is but being over 60 I'd guess I'd be on the mailing list if I lived in the US.

I missed my female teenager years (and 20's thru 40's too) so I've some catching up to do. That means wearing blond wigs, short skirts and sleeveless tops. My current avatar is how I flew interstate so I've well and truly 'road tested' the look. Sure, shaping gear and compression stockings help. As winter rapidly approaches I'll think about adding leggings. Being taller, males are lucky to have good looking longer legs.

My male self shakes its head at my female self but once transformed female self likes how she looks. Hopefully young but not tarty. No adverse comments from the public either (thankfully I'm not a mind reader). Indeed, I've been reassured to wear what I want and I look much younger than 62. I don't pass as a GG and I'm sufficiently confident about being noticed.

So that's my take on life as an older CDer. Maybe in a decade or two my dressing age will catch up to my biological age - but I hope NOT. Life is too short so be who you want to be while you can.

Michelle
    Last edited by Michelle (Oz); 05-23-2013 at 05:11 PM.

65 here and I feel great, better than ever. I'm wearing a white top, forms, red shorts, red panties, red hair. I have actually received "wolf whistles", and the men who "hooted" were inder age 40.
    Last edited by ArleneRaquel; 05-23-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    White short skirt and black cami for today being 60 is OK but being told you look 40 is the bomb!
    Can't mention where I went today but I got some looks LOL.All good tho'.
    I was about 60 feet away from the guys so they couldn't get a real good look LOL.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 05-23-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    White short skirt and black cami for today being 60 is OK but being told you look 40 is the bomb!
    So well said Tracii.

Just jeans(non momstyle jeans-nice mid rise) with blouse and flats to go do a little shopping

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    +1 on the Mom jeans Claudine

Aspiring Member
    I dress my age (60) in a conservative way while I'm home all day. That means jeans or capris now that the temps are warm. And I'll wear a nice top and a short brown wig. Some times when I want to feel really girly I'll put on a nice dress and pantyhose. And mostly after my evening shower I'll wear a housedress.

Cheryl

I'm a late bloomer, and I really wanted to make sure I dressed appropriately for my age. I'm thin enough to wear shorter skirts and tops from the junior's department, but I feel if I'm going to dress as a woman, I'm going to dress as I would like to see a woman my age dress. Anyway, today I found a pair of gray dress pants at a garage sale and paired it with a maroon blouse and my pumps. Very office-ready.

With that said, two days ago when it was warmer I wore my denim short-shorts and tight tank top. (Hey, I missed my 20s-40s as well!) But I wouldn't go out like that!

Happily Married CD !! Ina Girdle's Avatar
    I am pretty sure cross-dressing works the same way as the 2nd marriage, trophy wife scheme, 1/2 your age + 7years. So I am 54, that means Ina is 27 + 7 = 34 years old. Not a bad deal!!

Ina

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    I'm over 60 and wear whatever I da.. want to and so far have never had a problem, but receive many compliments. What I am is really too picky on the clothes I buy.
    " I love the life I live and I live the life I love"

Silver Member
    I still wear leather and satin--but I wear significant foundation garments--think corsets and waist cinchers
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

I find myself more and more interested in clothes that are tasteful and sophisticated. I love pencil skirts, and I also like some of the newer longer skirt styles that I see in stores like Macys. I love the peplum styles that are en vogue right now. I think skirt suits rock as well.
    I wear 3 to 4 inch heels, and typically suntan or off black hosiery. (Sometimes, jet black ;-) )
    I guess I dress more as a lady might in her 40s than 50s. But not much younger than that...
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

Being over 50 I wear anything from a dress to skinny jeans and a casual top. Casual, formal, smart casual all works for me. I'm not ready for old age yet... lol

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    Haha! I turn 50 this week and Im already getting the AARP cards in the mail lol. But... I wear my usual victorian, bohemian styles of clothing as always.
    (Formerly known everywhere as Lady Zarabeth

My short answer: "as little as possible" but I digress. I wear whatever seems to work Hon and I can usually make anything work for me. It's really a lot of moxie and chutzpah my friend.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

The GG's that I see around here that are "golden" are wearing jeans, sneakers and t-shirts.... not me though. Most of the time, it's a knee length dress or skirt and a dark top, wrap or sweater... along with heels and shoulder length hair. On the rare occasion that I have to shop locally, I'll put on a pair of (yuck) jeans, heels and a cute top.

This summer, I might get into the dressy casual with a pair of capris and sandals..... still shopping for that outfit....

Renne.....

I love it girls, and love all of you . I just read through all the post and I've got a warm smile on my face! Amen!!! Ain't never gona grow old either... I wear whatever makes me feel good, sexy, and comfortable. I love to experiment with all kinds of styles and looks, some work, some don't, but I'll never know until I try it out. I'm only 61 after all, maybe when I get around 80 I'll think about a granny dress and 1" pumps, then again, maybe not...
    Link to my flickr photostream:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kandybarr

Silver Member
    I wear casual clothes now days and dress like most of the women in the area.

When I was in my late teens and 20s (late 50s to early 60s) I wore dresses. I had a large wardrobe that I inherited from my sisters and purchased. I've always liked lingerie and owned several matched sets of lingerie. Back then you could purchase panty, bra, slip and girdle all with the same color and lace.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    As a Golden Girl, (well over 60), I'm wearing,--, well, --- gold, of course!

I dropped out of AARP years ago because of their politics here in Cal.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

AHHH my dear Darla....You're only as old as you feel!! I'm an AARPer myself, and I still dress like a woman who is in her late 30's. I keep my weight down as well as possible, stay out of a lot of sun, and enjoy my girly time. ( Spanx or something of the like is usually undrneath!!) LOL