Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volunteering while crossdressed

Volunteering while crossdressed

I'm looking for a place to volunteer while crossdressed, I just need info suggestions where to start really, I would really like to be a girl all day while working in a lingerie store or womens clothing store would be cool but open to everyone's opinion and tips

Many accepting churches such as UU and MCC have functions that are open to gender variant volunteers. Check you local listings and give them a call.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Most profit making institutions just dont have volunteer positions. Most stores of any kind are more interested in having sales people with incentives to make higher sales so if you are good at sales then try them out. Without some experience it is unlikely.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Many communities have a volunteer women's exchange, usually set up to take in old fashions and resell them, providing support for women in need (either from abuse or lack of funds). The resellers I know are all women, but I suspect that in many communities you would have no problem volunteering your time as a woman. It all comes down to community and whether that community morally or legally agrees to accept you as a crossdressed woman. Unfortunately, while laws preventing discrimination on the basis of sexual preference (lesbian, gay) are now being accepted in more and more communities and companies, they often do not extend to issues of sexual identity, which includes both crossdressing and transexuals. Just give it a try - you will definitely find a needy group who will be happy to get your assistance.
    The Wise Ol' Momma Owl....Darla Jean

Habitat for Humanity always needs office and construction volunteers. There are many women doing both kinds of work. Many nonprofit organizations such as Care Connect, Red Cross, Volunteers for America need office workers which a lot of women participate in. Local hospitals need receptionist volunteers. Local parks use volunteers to teach trail etiquette or lead outdoor activities.

I worked for Lane Bryant for a year as an assistant manager. I wasn't impressed with the level of maturity of the management staff. It was like being back in high school and at 40 years old I didn't want to play those kinds of games. The SA's were fun and much more mature than the management I worked with. I eventually quit for a much better paying position with another company that recognized my abilities.

Find some volunteer job you would like to do that makes you feel good doing and work with people that enjoy helping others. It's much more fun and rewarding. Good luck.

Karan

Platinum Member
    There are lots of LGBT organizations in NYC. That would be the first place I'd look.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess6887 View Post
    I'm looking for a place to volunteer while crossdressed, I just need info suggestions where to start really, I would really like to be a girl all day while working in a lingerie store or womens clothing store .....
    I am certain that Victoria Secret is not looking for volunteers.

The only clothing outlets I can think of are Salvos and Goodwill.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    I would think an animal shelter or food bank would work. In DC, "Food and Friends" prepares meals for those fighting AIDS and Cancer and delivers them to the homebound. NYC must have something similar.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Banned Read only
    You may want to participate in a local "Adopt a Road" or "Adopt a Park" volunteer program. Wear a short skirt and I will bet you'll get a lot of horns honking at you.

Just recently I started attending a different church, a United Church of Christ that is very accepting of Anita. Just this Saturday they had a crew prepare and serve meals at a local soup kitchen. Anita joined them for the first time, it was fun. There were a few of the normal staff there and they also were very accepting. In fact they gave me an open invitation to come and volunteer any day I was available. You might try something similar. Most soup kitchens and food pantries would welcome volunteer help.

AnitaH
    I am becoming a butterfly emerging from a cocoon, I am ready to spread my wings, I have found my voice again for I am holding my head high and I am taking my power back.

“It is never too late to become what you might have been.” ~ George Eliot

HTTP://anitafog.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/anitah.fog

Aspiring Member
    I'm with you Jess on working as a woman at a woman's specialty store.

I am a big supporter of the young people's LGBTQ programs as I feel a connection there. I am quite sure there is one nearby you.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Gold Member
    I will echo Kim and Rogina. There has to be a lot of LGBT organizations in NYC. They all probably need some level of assistance. It gets you out there, performs a service, and you will have a higher chance of having a rewarding experience.

Silver Member
    Jess6887 -- I joked with my wife that I could be a bra fitter. She assured me that it would not be pretty young women needing help. After thinking about it I'm pretty sure she is right.

As for working in a women's clothing store it may not be as much fun as you think. Have you thought of having your own business? You could do makeup part time and build a clientele. I do know a woman who does very well with MK and I know that there are some guys who do it also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess6887 View Post
    I'm looking for a place to volunteer while crossdressed, I just need info suggestions where to start really,
    An easy solution would be any GLBT center. The reality is that most non-profit organizations are always looking for volunteers, especially those with specific skills.
    In NYC, most locations are more than happy to have you volunteer if you have any ability to "blend" with the other women. Simply put, don't dress like a **** but dress attractively.

I would really like to be a girl all day while working in a lingerie store or womens clothing store would be cool but open to everyone's opinion and tips
    Victoria's Secret would be particularly interested in you. Apply at all of the finer stores, as well as other departments. If you have a good sense of fashion and can help people find looks that excite them, then you can do well in any type of fashion sales. Consider other aspects of fashion as well. Another possibility is any type of phone sales until you are confident that you can really live 24/7 as a female. Your profile says you are a cross-dresser, but the nature of this question suggests that you might be transsexual and exploring the possibility of living as a female. This could be with, or without hormones or surgery.

I would suggest that you read the Transsexual forums and consider seeing a therapist to help you sort it out. What matters more than anything is that you live the life you truly want to live, and deal with whatever obsticles may impede you without being forced to "Settle" for something you really don't want. Living for 30 or 40 years in a life where you must pretend not to be what you are, and must pretend to be what you are not - is a fate worse than death.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

Do they have Meals on Wheels where you are, where you take preprepared meals to the elderly or disabled who can't manage on their own, that would be fun, you would be out and about and meeting lots of people.
    Sophie Mosley

I agree with the prior posts, LGBT centers always need volunteers and would be happy to have you volunteer. Recently; I volunteered at a local LGBT community center. First I started off by helping facilitate a transgendered group, and then ended up on the board and then treasure of the community center. I did this for about two years and did most of this as Patti. I did find the experience very rewarding.
    It's not about gender it's about fashion www.flickr.com/photos/9438546@N08/sets

Arrow Volunteering while crossdressed

Volunteering at a senior activity center twice a week. Have been going to help with computer learning for older adult program for almost eleven years. Last few years slowly wore more female clothes. Last Halloween went in skirt and blouse, two inch heels, nylons and makeup. Others didn't really care. Just mentioned that I they kind of suspected I wore women's clothes. Will be going today to the senior activity center. Wearing denim Capri pants, women's v-neck top with bra under the top. I would go in a skirt, some of the computers need to be moved along with the desks so feel it would be less of a hassle not to be wearing a skirt

In NYC we have volunteered with God's Love We Deliver, a great organization that takes regular meals to shut-ins and AIDS patients. They especially need volunteers at holidays when their regular staff has time off, and a number of trans persons and drag queens regularly show up to work for them.

Local Pride Events are great for that, they are very fun, carnival type atmosphere (without the rides) I worked one for 2-3 hrs and hung out the rest of the day !!

The above ideas are good. Our local Goodwill stores need volunteers, and so do the church affiliated thrift stores. Nursing homes need help often...can you help old ladies email pictures to their grand children? I did that for my mom last week. And of course--you could start your own consignment store.

Perhaps your local botanical garden needs help. Our local garden has hundreds of volunteers.

Or, perhaps, arrange to work at a tiny consignment store. If it is run by a single lady--as is often the case--she surely appreciates a day off from time to time.

I’ll echo what a number of the other posters have said by saying that your best bet when it comes to volunteering your time is a charitable or non-profit organization. For one they are already setup to accept volunteers whereas most businesses are not. I’ve never lived in NYC, never even been to NYC, but I know that taxes and regulation in NY are almost as high and bad as CA.

A good many years ago (Carter was President) I was the DP Manager for a large construction company in San Diego. The local University approached us about starting an intern program; the intern would receive a grade and credits in lieu of pay. What a regulations mess. By law employees must be covered under the State’s disability insurance and the company’s payroll system was setup to deduct the employee’s contribution for said insurance, along with other State and Federal deductions. But this intern wasn’t going to be in the payroll system since he/she wasn’t being paid a salary. Being a construction company we dealt with several unions, and even though this individual would be working strictly in the office in a non-union position, there was union discontent – unions don’t like it when someone works for less than prevailing wages and they saw someone working for free.

My guess is that women’s lingerie and clothing stores wouldn’t be willing to jump through the hoops needed to use volunteer help.

BTW: The intern the university sent us was from Iran, his Father had owned newspapers and support the Shah and was one of the richest men in Iran, this son was totally against the Shah and supported the Ayatollah. While in the break room watching a news broadcast concerning the hostages he voiced the opinion that if he was in charge of the hostages he would execute one a day until Carter agreed to the Ayatollah’s demands. This was overheard by a couple construction workers who happened to be in the office. I think they’d have killed this kid if the President of the company hadn’t intervened. The intern was dismissed and he went to one of the local TV stations claiming discrimination and the company was on the evening news. Because the little bleep worked for me I almost got fired, the CEO thought I should have seen this coming and gotten rid of him sooner.
    Babs

Volunteering and working are two very different goals.

If you want to work in a women's specialty store presenting as female then you better make sure you dress professionally, carry yourself well, and want to work in retail. You will likely still have some challenges in finding/keeping positions.

Volunteering on the other hand gives you both more options, and an environment that is likely to be a little more forgiving and accepting of your gender variance. Think about areas that you can really have an impact, and suit your interests as well. LGBTQ organizations are a natural fit, but I'd bet that if you're willing to commit yourself to a full day even once a month most volunteer organizations would be happy to have you in whatever presentation you're most comfortable with.

The key with either is that you just need to remain professional and committed to doing your work (volunteer or paid) above simply showing up somewhere dressed as female.

Thanks for all your suggestions