Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice on how I can make my apartment more private......................

I need some advice on how I can make my apartment more private......................

Okay heres the situation right now I am not getting anywhere as far as crossdressing and need some advice, first of all Dora is not good at all when it comes to a hammer and nails and hanging stuff, my apartment is not to private right now the curtains that I have at night time when the lights are on I found out that from outside my apartment I can see right through my curtains, I found that out one night when I was wearing a dress and the neighbors from the outside caught me (yikes)
    Now some information on my windows, in my bedroom I have 6 windows which measure 11 feet 8 inches across and the height of my windows are 7 feet, I have noticed that some of my neighbors hang black plastic on their bedroom windows.
    What I need advice on is what type of thing is best to hang in the windows so no one can see through? Also I have attempted to hang plastic in the windows once but was unsuccessful, I don't have any family that will help and also all my co workers are too busy to help, I need to know who I can turn to who would help?

You can cover the windows with aluminum foil. Your also going to need thicker curtains on all windows. Did your neighbors tell you what they saw? What was their response?

I suggest heavier curtain material on all the windows, with a good overlap to the edges.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I once taped colored construction paper on my bedroom window. It allowed light to come in, and looked kinda cool, while totally blocking outsiders from seeing in. Cheap and easy, like me. (joking)

Cheers,

Kalista

I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, through and through.
    I love nylons and high heels, mini-skirts and shopping deals!
    I don't care what others say, life's too short, it's time to play.
    I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, how 'bout you?

If you already have curtains, the curtain rod and hooks are already there. Just go to wallie world and get new curtains. make sure they can not be seen thru and replace the current curtains.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Either come out to the neighbors or heavier window covers. Thicker or double layer curtains or light blocking pleated blinds are nice.
    Erica

You'l want to look for curtains that are 'thermal'. Meaning the material is thick enough to provide insulation. These are made because there's so much heat loss through windows at colder temperatures, but they look normal, and are thick enough to block anyone's view inside or out.
    "When I'm good, I'm very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better." -Mae West

You've heard of "drapes"? Install drapes on your windows, pull them shut, and the problem is solved.

Cheaper would be pull down shades. You can get these where they can't be seen through. Ask for "blackout shades".
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

For a tempary fix you could use blankets and hang them over your curtains. The other question is are you responseable for the window coverings
    or the landlord?

So there are a couple of options you have. First, Go to your local Fabric shop with a flashlight. Find a color you like and Put the flashlight to it -- if you see light try again. If you cannot find any fabric that works, you can always double layer it. Then you just hand these bits of fabric over the curtain rod. Second, you can buy some nice curtains following the same basic principle as above -- Flashlight shines through; its not for you. Third, and this is IMHO the best option, is to get blinds installed. Work with your landlord on this one because blinds are more permanent than curtains. They also require special installation, so many places offer this service.

Blinds are really the only sure-fire way you have of being positive that you will be private.

Mini blindsided might be best - two screws to install them is all (buy them off the shelf to match width of window)

Plastic wrap on the windows (it sticks to very damn thing) then paint it black. Did that in my dungeon, and it peels off just fine. Works great if your renting.

Funny since we added on we have been using cardboard for window treatments.... going to add blinds but for the size windows your talking about its going to be thousands!... go to Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond and get "Room Darkening" drapes... for the type of curtain rod you already have installed..... they are heavier and have a dark lining that cuts out sum light... and visa versa at night...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Vertical Blinds work also. Measure the window and get them made to over lap a bit and your all set. 6 screws and all the privacy you want or don't want (if open)
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Guess I am more concerned why the neighbors would be looking in your bedroom

Black plastic is very low class BTW. Black out curtains are inexpensive and worse case scenario you can tack them up
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Silver Member
    I had that happen years ago. The only thing the neighbors said was they enjoyed the show. The drapes were in the living room and so thin that they didn't need to be there. Now I don't worry about it. People are much more tolerant these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dora View Post
    I have 6 windows which measure 11 feet 8 inches across and the height of my windows are 7 feet,
    You have 71 feet of 7 foot tall windows to cover? Look for companies in your area that do "Window Treatment" and have one of them do the job. They will be delighted to work with you on an area that big.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Install mini blinds just a few screws and your good.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_27129-74130-...ray&facetInfo=
    There is also a privacy frost in a can but it is a pain in the butt to scrape off, it resembles an uneven frosted window when it dries.This might do the trick it would let light in and give lots of privacy, you probably could re use, and re hang with another application of adhesive.

Confetti is on the right track I think. Although, her window spray film is a little more permanent than I think you want. Instead try a temporary window film like....
    1) Christmas window frosting that washes right of.
    http://www.christmas-decorations-gifts store.com/store/PPF/Category_ID/224/products.asp
    Or make your own..
    2) Disolve 4 heaped tbsp Epsom salts in 1 cup beer. The mixture will foam upon contact, but let it set for 30 minutes, allowing the salt crystals to dissolve partially. Dip a terry cloth or handkerchief into the solution and wipe it over the window as though you were washing it. Before it is dry, dab the window with the wet cloth. Once dried, crystals appear. If you don't like it, wash it off.

Banned Read only
    When my wife and I were first married we covered up the windows with the paper covering our mattress set came in. Plastic had not yet been invented!

A lot depends on your economic status, and how you want your apartment to appear. Black Plastic or aluminum foil will block the view in and out. Curtains and blinds allow you to easily open them when you want more light. A good approach if you like the room to be light and airy in daytime, yet block people from seeing in, then also block the view at night is to put a double rod with a sheer to soften the light and keep people from seeing in during the day, then a heavier curtain to close at night. This looks much better than the plastic or foil.

Now as for getting it done. Actually a small step stool, hammer or screwdriver and wall anchors will usually be all you need. To keep the budget down, go to Lowes or Home Depot or equivalent. They can show you how to put up the window treatments if you like, or can connect you with someone who can do it for you. You can also look in Craigslist or the newspaper for local handy men to do the work. If you deciede to do it yourself and need a bit more advice, msg me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Follow me on Facebook
    http://facebook.com/ceri4certain

GG/SO of a CD
    I find that you can find Black out curtains for a lot cheaper at places like Marshalls, Ross or TJ max. They also can have benefits for temperature unlike some of the other window covering they keep your room cool when its hot and vice versa.

i would go whith blinds

If your not comfortable with hammer and nails maybe get some stand up screens and put them in front of the windows when you want to block the veiw from outside. I am sure they can be found in lots of home decor stores and are in all price ranges.