Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A slice of the late 1960's--what was it like for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    ...my Mom bought a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T. Red with a black vinyl top...
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolynO View Post
    Traci,when you burned the tires off that Dodge Charger Was there a green Fastback Mustang trailing you?
    That Charger was black, and as I recall it did not end well!

I was 3-13 during the '60s and I was growing up on a rural and small-town environment. Only a few events remain in my memory, none of them really related to CDing. I remember the JFK assassination and the mourning afterward, but I really didn't understand it. I also remember the moon landing, which I did understand and which was very inspirational to me.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I loved the fashions of the 60s. Tight skirts were my favorite to wear. Bought my own wardrobe for the first time in the summer of 1966. Before that I used some old scraps of lingerie I found in an old clothes sack we had stored in a shed. My parents watched me very closely from 1963 on because of some police trouble I got into concerning CDing. It was always hard to hide things. After I started building my own wardrobe I found ways to hide my stuff. In 1968 I had to purge quite a few boxes of women's clothes because Uncle Sam sent me an invitation to vacation with him for three years. After I got out of the service I really had ample opportunity to CD and rebuild all that I had lost. However at that time fashions were changing and some of the things available didn't excite me that much. Tight skirts were no longer in fashion and would continue to be so for many years.

I enjoyed the sixties, school, sports etc. However my quest for female clothing was frustrated. I adored the fashions of the fifties and sixties and so wanted to have it all but I didn't have many chances to dress. I also couldn't afford to buy the clothes. I had to content myself with the catalogues of the day and dream of better times to come. Luckily my dreams came true.

Back in 1968 I was a sophomore in High School. I always had the desire to wear girl's clothes but never really had the opportunity.
    I never was really home alone to try on my sister's dresses. I was fortunate to get a part time job after school cleaning classrooms
    at a Catholic Grade School. My Uncle was a maintenance man for the Parish and always hired his nephews to clean the school. So every school day
    me along with two of my cousins cleaned the classrooms. I found this closet with nothing but girl's uniforms. I guess parents donated the clothes after
    their daughters outgrew them.
    I was a small skinny kid and the clothes fit perfectly. There were white blouses, and plaid jumpers, sweaters, and knee socks. So after my cousins left and
    the nuns were at the convent eating supper I would pick out a blouse, jumper, & knee socks go to the eight grade classroom and be a school girl for a few minutes.
    It was great. I didn't know what crossdressing was back then and I thought I was the only boy in the world that like to wear girl's clothes.

I was ten years old. A hyper-active kid that got on everybody's nerves but who also was beginning to notice changes that were happening to me. I was playing a lot of "Doctor" with a neighbor girl and once in a while, I was still watching my mom get dressed and at the time all I could think about was how nice it must have felt to put on all the layers of clothing from slips, bras and girdles to garter belts, she donned. I was hooked and then I went outside and played Army or Cowboys and Indians with my friends...a very confusing time!