Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A slice of the late 1960's--what was it like for you?

Aspiring Member

A slice of the late 1960's--what was it like for you?

I often reflect back to a time, probably 1968 when I was 15. I so wanted to go all out to CD but I was very limited. Yes I could put on a pair of my sister's panties and a slip, maybe a dress when I was home alone up to a couple hours after school. I remember studying the beautiful wigs in that thick Montgomery Ward catalog trying to figure out how I could safely order one. NOT! One nice highlight was the impending wedding of one sister. Mom was tailoring another sister's bridesmaids gown and needed me to put it on and stand on a stool so she could do the hem. I SO wanted to keep it on! LOL!

So pick a slice of your life (if you lived the era) and let's hear about it. Even if you weren't from the era, what was your experiences around those teen years?

Cheryl Ann

i "became aware" in the last 80s and 90s. I loved the make up and clothing that teen girls wore. Loved the big hair era. I think it was also when high heels returned ... loved those.

I was 13 by then I knew i wanted to wear womens cloths I too would wear my sisters and moms cloths whenever left home alone however with 7 brothers and sisters it was hard.I would fake being sick have have a whole day of dress up fun. My poor little sister would get yelled at by my big sister for getting into her stuff. I also know i felt very alone in the world thinking why do I do this and I must be the only one. Thank goodness for the internet wish it was around in the 1950's.
    Connie

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Exclamation In 1968? U "young" ladies have no idea how lucky u were back then!

I got out of the army in 1968. And, my real life was just beginning. Before that, my life had been spent in school and avoiding the draft during the Viet Nam war. Which happened to me anyway!

That was about 25 years before it ever occurred to me try any ladies things on. A pair of ladies jeans were my first!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I still like the full skirts and petticoats that survive into square dancing today.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I was born in 62 and didn’t begin dressing until the early 70’s, but I do have some recollections from that era. I definitely had a curiosity when it came to feminine things, particularly around special dress occasions like Easter. The only time I remember tipping my hand was at my grandmother’s house where she had a tradition of fixing up my two older sister’s hair into ponytails with bows or ribbons. I had stood in line, impatiently awaiting my turn to sit in her lap when my father shot a stern look my way. Instantly I knew that it wasn’t going to be an option for me, so I left the room.

67 I had my "awakening" spent 3 weeks of that summer with an Aunt and 3 girl cousins, one was same age and about 3 weeks older. The very-long-story-very-short-version is story-like. Mom and dad were headed for a week in New York for their 15th anniversary. Dropped sis off at her friends and me with Aunt Dee and the girls. My suitcase stayed in the car. After the initial shock and complaining about having to wear "girls clothes", I was hooked. Heck, you should of seen the tan lines I had after 3 weeks of every afternoon in their pool. Aunt Dee was the one who named me (Jennifer).
    Next extended time was 71. I spent the whole summer as Jennifer with my grand parents (another long story) including my first date and kiss. That night I wore a white with black trim vinyl minidress that had a matching black/white checkered pantie cover it was so short and a pair of white Go-Go boots. My Aunt, being a hairdresser, gave me a perm that was similar to what would become Farrah Fawcett's signature coif several years later. The summer of 71 was verry special...

I was pretty girly in the early 60's and every Friday when my Mom took my Grandma to the store, I wore her clothes and makeup, etc. after I got home from school, so it wasn't too bad. It got a little more difficult after high school as I felt myself being pulled in two different directions. One way by male hormones and the other by wanting to look like a girl. When I got in the Army it was even more difficult but I still managed to pull it off sometimes when on weekend pass and what not.I also had it in the back of my mind I wanted to be a transvestite spy.Eventually I was able to be who I wanted when I wanted but my "roots" for "womanhood" is in the 1960's more or less.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Read only
    The 1960's? The 1960's spanned 12 through 22. I had been trying on my mother's slips which is hung dry in the sole bathroom of the apartment. When I hit my teen years and the hormones started flowing I found myself trying on more of my mother's garments. I was able to wear her bras, girdle, awful looking panties, dresses and nylons. There was youthful sexual stimulation involved. I entered a period of self loathing. Of course, if you wore women's clothing back then, you were a "faggot, queer," as the 1960's terminology called you. It was a period in my life of total confusion. How could a guy lust after girls and women?

For a brief period of time I was "cured." I've read other posting where a CD-er has not dressed without any angst. My ass got drafted, trained, and sent to Nam, where I did what I had to do to survive, although I did end up with some body modifications, unlike the sisters on this site lust over. During that period I had absolutely no urges or desires of a sexual nature, let alone crossdress. I guess it was out of sight, out of mind. I figure it was just like that Navy Seal of yesterday's posting. When inserted into a total male environment with no contact with women, there is no stimulation to cross dress.

I guess, if one is heterosexual, being a cloistered monk would "cure" cross dressing.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    The 60's were fun I enjoyed that time.
    In 68 my Mom bought a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T.Red with a black vinyl top white interior and white bumble bee stripes around the tail end.
    440 cu in engine and 727 automatic.I was so lucky she let me drive it a lot and yes I burned the tires off it.She loved taking it out to the drag strip too.
    She would make a few passes down the track then she would let me run the elimination rounds.

Where were I in 62? I had graduated HS and wasn't having much luck finding a job, but I did find my mother's blonde wig, pantyhose and simple black dress, WOW. I had time on my hands then and do now so I just had to dress again! Jaymee

In the late '60s there was not much opportunity for me to cross dress, so I fantasized a lot about either being magically transformed into a girl or forced feminization. I took advantage of the times to feminize my look as much as possible - long hair, earrings, love beads, flower patches on my jeans, etc. When some stupid redneck would ask me "are you a boy or are you a girl?" I took is as a compliment. I thought I must be gay. I took a lot of drugs to dull the pain. Things went downhill from there.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    The 60's? I was busy trying to prove my manhood, getting stoned, trying to be a hero, and getting laid. Not necessarily in that order. 1968? The Tet Offensive, Bobby Kennedy, Chicago riots, Martin Luther King. One of the ugliest years in American history. I was learning to Skydive in California. Life goes on.

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    The 60's? That's 20 years before I was born, the only way I experienced the 60's was through a text book.

1968? Let me think. Oh yes, 20 and an M-60 machine gun squad leader. Mostly wore olive drab and army green. Nothing girly. Not my most enjoyable year. Enough said.
    Georgia (Gigi) Maine

Aspiring Member
    In 1968 I didn't see much of a future for myself to truly be who I am, have an accepting wife, plenty of resources, and the internet including this site today. Since I became a member here it has gotten better now being 60 years old. (Wish I was 20!)

I sweated out the draft lottery in '71 and '72 because I knew this girl would have never made the first week of basic training. Well, in retrospect, I suppose all of my life since then was meant to be. Someone watched over me and through all of the years and BS I'm happier than ever today.

Cheryl

In 1965 I got out of the USAF. I went back home to Iowa and worked for the railroad as a welder. In 66 my mom passed away and I went to Nebraska for awhile and then
    on to California where my sister and her husband were living. I worked as a maintence mechanic in a rubber co for 5 years. In those days I really didn't think about dressing.
    When I went back to Iowa in 71 I messed around a little bit with it mostly just wearing pantie hose or panties. After I got to Texas in 1990 that's when I really got into it.

I was 12 in the spring of 1969.That's when my CD career really took off.And it was one of the hottest times of my cd'ing.Wore my sister's green capsleeve mini dress with white satin trim at the hem,neckline and sleeve.It was so unforgettable!!

1968, I was 12 years old and like most was deeply into mom's closet ...and I thought I was putting everything away just perfectly. I would be the first one home from school, would dress with all the shades pulled down. Parents came home and always asked why I was pulling the shades. I never came up with a good answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    The 60's were fun I enjoyed that time.
    In 68 my Mom bought a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T.Red with a black vinyl top white interior and white bumble bee stripes around the tail end.
    440 cu in engine and 727 automatic.I was so lucky she let me drive it a lot and yes I burned the tires off it.She loved taking it out to the drag strip too.
    She would make a few passes down the track then she would let me run the elimination rounds.
    Traci,when you burned the tires off that Dodge Charger Was there a green Fastback Mustang trailing you?

The late sixties was a significant part of my crossdressing history. I remember being very envious of my female cousin who was five years older than me I was eight at the time. I noticed that my cousin began to wear tights and pretty clother and I longed to be like her. I was also jealous of the girls in my primary school class I wanted to much to be like them and chat about girly things. However it took another four years for me to don Womens clothes when I started wearing my Mothers tights and skirts at age twelve, which was another very important part of my C.D journey.

Just being true to myself Jolene Robertson's Avatar
    I was 13 and it was around the that I first raided my moms clothes. I was an only child and with both parents working... well you know. I would dance around the rec-room and listen to Jimi and the Airplane. That was also around the time I started taking an intrest in playing music. A great time to grow up!

If you can remember th 60s... were you really there?

Jolene

I was 10 in 1968 and usually getting beat up for being a "sissy" or being made fun of because I couldn't play baseball or do all the things a boy is supposed to do. I wanted to cook, play with Barbie and sew.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

1968-remember RFK assassination like it was yesterday.1963-even though only 7 yrs old at at the time,remember watching Lee Harvey Oswald being questioned at the Dallas police station by reporters on our b/w tv so clearly like it was a few months ago.Summer of 69'-unforgettable.Remember watching the Apollo 11 moon landing live,hearing about the murder of Sharon Tate,Ted Kennedy's "adventure" at Chappaquiddick and Woodstock.
    Last edited by CarolynO; 07-27-2013 at 08:10 PM.

I was born in 1971 so I missed them but so did my dear old mum who always says "if you can remember the 60s you weren't really there"