Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A slice of the late 1960's--what was it like for you?

1966 drivers license and a 1958 Chevy with a 283
    1968 I was out of HS and enlisted in the Army
    1969 I was 11B In Vietnam with the 1st Air Cav

I remember a film....
    "The last Picture Show", with great fondness.
    It was made later and was set in a period a little later.
    I used to be able to buy full skirts, bobby sox and full, frilly petticoats off the rack.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Great 60's

Ladies, 60's is the time when I hadn't been even planned But I love these times, all that I have seen on the films....It's so interesting to me reading your posts..What about crossdresing at 60's as a whole?

I was only nine in 1969. I do remember sitting up all night to watch the moon landings, seeing the Vietnam war on the news. Which I now realise some of you people were part of. A sobering thought.

But I hadn't much in the way crossdressing experiences. There were a couple of moments. Once my Mother made me wear one of my sister's panties going to school because all mine were dirty. I objected mainly because I was worried about somebody finding out. But my Mother just said no one will notice and no one did.
    I do remember one interesting event. I went to my Mother and asked her a question. I have no idea what prompted it. I asked her if boys grew up to be women and girls to be men. She said yes. To this day I don't know if she misheard the question or simply gave a stupid answer to a stupid question. Every parent knows this situation. But I was happy with the answer and went away looking forward to growing up to be a woman. How disappointed am I?

I didn't begin crossdressing until I was about 12 years old. I never wore my Mother's clothes. I did wear panties into school and panti hose. I had a near miss though when I forgot it was gym day. But somehow I hid it. But from the beginning in the seventies. I tried to dress fully as a woman. I do remember at one time as a teenager being left alone in the house for a few days when I didn't want to go on holiday with the rest. I spent the whole time dressed. It was heaven. Never managed it since.

I did have a taste of the sixties lately. I was an extra in a TV series set in the sixties. At one point I was sitting on the sixties set surrounded by men and women in period clothes. I was really transported back in time. I really envied the women.

The 60's - High School & College. Didn't do much when I was in HS. Mom was a lot older and no really cool stuff. When I got my drivers license I was able to to shopping and bought some knee socks & tights. In college. i found a leotard someone left in a dryer at the laundromat. A little too small but really neat. Worked as a night guard at the local summer theater. Got to try on some nice stuff from the wardrobe room! Really didn't get to go out dressed until in the late 80's on some business trips.

The 1960's was my awakening. I bought my first cosmetics, during this decade, along with many female clothing item, especially lingerie. I also purchased my first wig and female eyewear during this great period of my wife, btw the glasses my have been purshased as late as 1970, but I believe it was either 1968 or 1969.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I was 16 in 1968, rode my horse or was in the woods hunting almost every day.

bought my first car at 15 motorcycle at 16,

cross-dressed every chance I got.

my biggest fear was the draft, later I was drafted.
    Last edited by MssHyde; 07-03-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

Although I'd had some attempts at dressing throughout childhood, the thing that I can really place in the late '60s is being 11 or 12 ( so '68 or '69 ) and being in a play at school. A girl that I really fancied .. probably my first sexual crush, in fact, did my makeup. I wasn't playing a female part, but oh it was real pleasure having that lovely girl paint my face. .. she thought it was good fun,too

My first full-on bra and panties experience didn't happen until 1971.
    Last edited by Sister Rachel; 07-03-2013 at 04:14 PM.
    It's complicated, then again it's simple ... where did I put that skirt?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcellaMcNul View Post
    I was also 15 in '68. It was a real roller coaster ride. There were the wild fun times and also the bad...broken home, identity crisis, out of control behavior, downward spiral into substance abuse. The details are already spread across the posts before mine in this thread.

I just wanted to mention the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread.....Maidenform's " I Dreamed......" advertising campaign!
    How about another TV commercial. ( the Playtex Panty Girdle ) I think my mom had one or two. Tried them on but were to small on me.

Lol I was three in 1968
    Do not judge someone by what they wear . There's a person inside there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymees22 View Post
    Where were I in 62? I had graduated HS and wasn't having much luck finding a job, but I did find my mother's blonde wig, pantyhose and simple black dress, WOW. I had time on my hands then and do now so I just had to dress again! Jaymee
    Are you sure it was pantyhose? Not nylons? In 1962 pantyhose was sold as a novelty and not in common use.

In the late 60's early 70's my older sister was off to college and left behind a lot of her clothes. I remember one paper dress and some mini skirts that I tried on! Fell asleep wishing I was a girl.
    Sally

Mary Tyler Moore wannabe MarinaKirax's Avatar
    I was very young in 1968. But I do remember trying to steal individual pairs of my moms stockings and try them on in the locked bathroom. also remember her white GoGo boots and fishnets! But most of all I remember the Sears catalogue, and all the lingerie pages. The shapely hips, the girdles, and the full body shapewear. I had pictures that I placed in some books for later viewing. I never dreamed that I would own those same garments, and wear them, later in life.
    God gave women intuition and femininity. Used properly, the combination easily jumbles the brain of any man I've ever met. Farrah Fawcett

In '68 I was 17. I stole a Playtex "Living Bra". It died, though; I didn't know what to feed it.

(Tongue In Cheek!)

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Banned Read only

Ahhh, Mystic Lady, that brought back a ton of memories.

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

My favorite time was more like from 1963 to 1967. This was when "Mod" became popular. Jackie Kennedy introduced the miniskirt, Nancy Sinatra introduce us to Go-Go boots (Which wasn't stripping in those days). It was a time when women really enjoyed expressing their femininity. Big hairdoos like the Beehive and the Bouffant. There were fishnet stockings, and sweater dresses made of cashmere that came down to mid-thigh. Acrylic was a popular fabric and was so thin that slips and panties almost felt like a wisp of air.

The uniforms on the star trek episodes were very similar to what women were actually wearing. Pantyhose didn't have any "panties", they were all sheer to the waist, which meant that the skirt could be remarkably short.

For men, the breakthrough in fashion was the back turtle-neck, made popular by the Beatles, the Nehru Jacket, and the bell bottom jeans. None of that fashion lasted long though. Most boys wore baggy blue jeans most of the time.

It all ended in about 1972, when women started wearing "clutter boots" also known as "waffle stompers", with blue denim work-shirts similar to those worn by prison chain-gangs, along with blue jeans.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

Quote Originally Posted by MarinaKirax View Post
    But most of all I remember the Sears catalogue, and all the lingerie pages. The shapely hips, the girdles, and the full body shapewear. I had pictures that I placed in some books for later viewing. I never dreamed that I would own those same garments, and wear them, later in life.
    I think I had those pages memorized, imagining what it would be like wearing each item.

I loved the time, the fashions, and my life back then! I graduated from high school in 1967 and remember what it was like, mini skirts were just coming in, go-go boots, pantyhose was just starting to gain acceptance. To know then what I know now, I am sure my life would have been a lot different. It was a great era to grow up in from not only the stand point of the fashions but also the growing awareness of the younger generation. I became politically aware in that era and formed many of the beliefs I still hold today!

Now if I could have only marched in one of those Vietnam protest marches in hot pants, white go-go boots, and log platinum blonde hair!

68 was a very bad year for me, during the sixties I graduated from HS, joined the navy, got out just before Nam started up for the navy. Got married had a couple of kids. I didn't have much time or desire to dress that much during those years, although I did take It back up just enough in 68, to ruin a marriage that year. Spent the rest of the year depressed, and drunk.
    Took a while to get over it, but found out the best years of my life didn't start until the seventies. That when I met my second wife who turned out was very willing to accept my being a Cross dresser.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

The 1960s was when I moved on my own and was able to dress more frequently. It all began a decade earlier when I lived in one room with my mother. I was able to see her dress in the morning, even though she ordered me to turn around. It was exciting to see her hook up her garter belt or girdle and clip her nylons to it. Then she would put on her full slip and then her skirt and blouse. I often fantasised that I could dress like that too. That is the reason I began cross-dressing to this day. And that is the reason I love garters, nylons and slips.

The slips, the slips, the slips. I loved seeing the lace of the slip peeking out of the bottom of a skirt, I loved wearing them what a feeling. Once I was with my aunt and she spilled something on her skirt and she pull her skirt down and removed her skirt leaving her wearing a beautiful beige slip. WOW! I almost had a heart attack, I still remember it like it was yesterday and I had a feeling my aunt knew I was enjoying it, she kept going out of her way to walk by me and always watching me. I believe that was 1968 or 1969.

I was born in 1966 (....yeah, I'm that old) , and I remember three specific things:

One, the July 19th, 1969 Apollo 11 landing on the moon. I was so excited that I built a lunar capsule cockpit out of cardboard, and pasted pieces of dials and buttons from a Sears catalog.

Two, The Vietnam War. I had a few family members in the war, one of them being a medevac helicopter pilot. I lived very close to Andrews Air Force Base and Fort Meade in Maryland, so I saw lots of fighter jets, helicopters, and military people.

Three , the Beatles movie Yellow Submarine. . I like cartoons, so this was pretty neat. I had a Beatles cartoon book, and a Monkees tambourine, which if I still had it, would probably be worth money. I also had a four foot long toy Boeing 727 in United Airlines graphics that was illuminated, made noise, and had articulating doors, including the rear door that had folding stairs. I am looking dearly for one of these today for my own momento.

Four, I'll add this one.....I saw the Shriner's Circus in Baltimore in 1969....not exactly Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey, but close.

That's my memory of the sixties.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 09-09-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Silver Member
    Ah loved the years. Out on my own after HS graduation. Rented a room from a woman who happened to be a beautician. She and her boyfriend encouraged my dressing. She did my wig and makeup for free. Didn't know I could go to jail for it. Small size (6) and girly looks made it easy for me to pass. Purchased lots of clothes. Spent a lot of time out and about. Several of the stores knew but loved selling me clothes.

Lingerie was special with the bras, panties, slips, and panty girdles or garter belt all matching. I had sets in pink, white, red, blue among mixed pieces. Loved wearing my brown A line skirt with yellow slip showing as I drove. Dresses were long in the early 60s and slips showing was quite common. Air conditioning was rare in cars and I loved to drive around with my skirt pulled up above my knees and nylon covered legs showing just below the pretty lace of the slip hem. More than one trucker let me know he liked it.

I was born on the Spring of 1969, no memories of the 60's