Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sales Assistants

I worked as a retail SA in a women's clothing store. Most all excuses given by men are seen as the lie they are. The "man list" as stated above is a joke to an SA. All SA's are there to assist and sell. Let tem do their job.

I was shopping in a White House/Black Market in drab last Sunday. I was looing for a nice pair of skinny leg white jeans. The SA came over and offered to assist. Told her what I wanted and she took me over to the appropriate rack. Told her a size 8. She got a size 8 and I asked her about length. Her response was, how tall is she? I answered that they were for me. Se responded OK and held them up to me and said the length is great. Do you want to try them on? Sure beats the heck out of any excuses.

So, it's time to put your big girl panties on, go out, be honest, and shop till you drop.

Jodi

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    I worked as a retail SA in a women's clothing store. Most all excuses given by men are seen as the lie they are. The "man list" as stated above is a joke to an SA. All SA's are there to assist and sell. Let tem do their job.

I was shopping in a White House/Black Market in drab last Sunday. I was looing for a nice pair of skinny leg white jeans. The SA came over and offered to assist. Told her what I wanted and she took me over to the appropriate rack. Told her a size 8. She got a size 8 and I asked her about length. Her response was, how tall is she? I answered that they were for me. Se responded OK and held them up to me and said the length is great. Do you want to try them on? Sure beats the heck out of any excuses.

So, it's time to put your big girl panties on, go out, be honest, and shop till you drop.

Jodi
    Am with you 100%. Especially the shop till you dro part.

I always just tell them it's for me. It was no big deal to them , and the majority of times they'll give you good advice and help. however,there was the one time at Victoria's Secret that the SA just wouldn't believe it when I said it was for me. go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy 56 View Post
    I always just tell them it's for me. It was no big deal to them , and the majority of times they'll give you good advice and help. however,there was the one time at Victoria's Secret that the SA just wouldn't believe it when I said it was for me. go figure.
    Thats funny. I would think we are a huge customer base.

Like Annabelle I can't use the "wife" to buy something. I used the "sister" one sometimes for clothes when I don't find what I want. For make-up like concealer, powders… it's easy to say it's for us, I mean if the SA is questioning I tell I have to look fresh for work (you can tell her working in a club, TV...)
    "Fashion is neither moral or immoral, but it is for rebuilding the morale" Karl Lagerfeld

Silver Member
    How about this one, then? When asked by the SA, reply, "It's a surprise for my (wife, sister, mom, girlfriend, whomever)" Because that's true isn't it? They will be surprised when they see how amazing you look wearing it!

always girly and love it Linda St. John's Avatar
    Gave up lying to shop people a long time ago....they've mostly seen it before and besides it's nice to talk to another person about your choices.
    Any way ,when you sit down to try on some shoes - the games pretty much up ! Incidentally, I find Payless one of the most helpful stores and never a rude comment- just pleasant service ....and NO I dont own any shares.
    Now ,I'm thinking ...Mmmm shoes..

Linda
    twitter : @ lindaesj

For the few times I've bought large quantities of make-up the SAs all gave me a funny look as if asking, "what is all this for?"
    I've always answered that I'm a photographer (which was true) and that I was picking out different shades of makeup, eye shadow, etc. for some fashion photography I was going to do (me, was also true) and that I preferred to do the makeup myself (true). They always were satisfied with that answer.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Ah, I'm so jealous! I haven't had an SA say anything to me in 5 years, so all the snappy comebacks I've got stacked up waiting to be used have just been wasted!

I would love the situation you were in, coming back by sticking out my hand and saying, "oh...don't you think those colors will work for me?" Not only are they then off guard, but a lovely conversation can start that keeps them guessing after you have left!

In fact, a sharp SA will never ask that question!

Junior Member AnnabelleBethanie's Avatar
    With the fingernails that I've got I wouldn't dream of that... Too much nail biting... As a result the polish is for the toes, for me it would be a waste to use it on my fingernails...

I'm kinda wishing I had a supply of witty replies to use, it would make it more interesting and would probably ease the nerves! Only been accepting for a couple of months so it's a miracle that I've got as far as purchasing it!

There's always next time! Just wondering what the next purchase will be?!

Annabelle-Bethanie

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post

Jodi
    Please Ladies listen to Jodie, First change you mind set that you are doing something "wrong", you are transgender, and that's ok, you will feel so much better when you say "They're for me". Like a weight of a 1000lb has been lifted.

The sales assistant would no doubt assume it was for me as I usually already have some on so I have never been asked that question but if I was then I would just say "Yes it is " and I have only ever had two responses from wearing it , one was many years ago when a local checkout lady asked " why are you wearing nail varnish" I actually knew her and I knew that she was being sarcastic so I just smiled, the other time a young sales assistant said," Oh I like your nails" I just said "thank you " I gave up worrying a long time ago , just funny thing happened on Monday in a clothes shop with a male sales assistant , I went straight to the females clothes section and was looking through the tops when the assistant noticed me and said " the men's clothes are at the back of the shop " without thinking I just said " I never go in that section " he just laughed and said " OK" so don't worry no one really cares .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

The first time I admitted it was for myself was completely liberating. The result was a very positive shopping experience trying things on (I was in male mode). My guess is that most of the time when the sales assistant asks the specific question, "Is it for you?", they have long ago figured you out. They are probably asking the question because they want to be helpful by being able to show you things they think you might be interested in. Just go with it. It will most likely be a lot of fun!

I've bought tons of stuff retail before and it's always a lot of fun and very exciting. I've never been asked by a cashier if the stuff was for me, since I'm always wearing a wedding ring, I have noticed a few of them look at my hand for a ring - I suppose that may set a few of the curious ones at ease - don't know. If I was ever asked, I suppose I'd say it was for my wife or daughter, but that's never been an issue before.

That is probably very true Brenn... I did have a feeling that she did already know it was for me and wanted me to answer the question honestly...

It reminds me of something I read that said, "if a woman asks you a question it's because she already knows the answer" this is probably true for this... She probably asked me because she knew it was for me and wanted to see if I'd give the answer that she already knew

Annabelle-Bethanie

Today when I was at Penney's I had pulled three dresses off the sale rack (you have to that or they will get nabbed by someone else) and was looking through the rest of the store with the dresses draped over my arm. A SA smiled and asked "How did you get chosen to carry all that?" I smiled back and said "because it is mine." She just laughed and said "cool."
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Tell you Lady's one thing for SURE ,,, Its a lot cheaper to Fess up ,,, You get to WEAR what you got ,, Because it fits an you already tried it on or them on ,, Makeup ,, Clothes ,, Shoes ,, Whatever ,,, Ones thing that will get EVERYONE is Money ,, You save on gas not having to bring it back ,, Or save because you can wear it or use it an won't have a closet full of junk you can't use ,, I learned the hard way ,, Got my Mind right FAST !! Once they know what your looking for an why its all out in the open an we all know where each other stands .

Long story short ----- STACY you need to get your Mind right ,,, Yes sir ,, Shaking it up here BOSS !!! Trying it on here Boss !!

This happened to me today! I was at a thrift store and it was only my second time buying girly clothes. The cashier asked me "These are for you?" and I giggled and said "Yep!". She told me she loved the heels I had picked out and then proceeded to tell me about a friend of hers who's a musician who performs in drag. It was a conversation we wouldn't have had if I'd lied about it.
    "Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales"
    You can read my blog if you like, or peruse my photos if you feel like it.

Hi Annabelle,

I absolutely love shopping for women's clothes (and obviously wearing them later!). In my experience, the best thing to do is try and develop a state of mind which affirms that you have an absolute right to go into any shop you choose and buy whatever clothes you want. Once you start feeling like that, you will be happy to chat to a sales assistant and tell her openly that the clothes are for you. Best of luck. Hugs, Emma

Well, I just went out shopping again... Ended up with two multipacks of knickers (5 thongs, 5 regular ones) as well as two multipacks of tights (3 nude sheer and 3 opaque black). No questions this time which made it slightly easier - the hard part this time was actually finding a sales assistant operating a till!

The downside is it no longer all fits in the same converse shoe box, so I'm now up to two shoeboxes of stuff...

Annabelle-Bethanie

I always lie and say they are for my gf. I donno if they believe it or not haha

My awesome gg/f is always happy to go shopping with me, so it never looks strange for us to go to the register together. Of course she always talks me into buying something for her ( fair enough) which sometimes leads to a nice and helpful cashier pointing out that there are two different sizes. At that point I just walk away and let her handle it. She's a hell of a wingman.

Our last shopping trip, last weekend, I wanted some real makeup in the right color and intended to spend some real money on it. So we walked in to the counter at Macy's, I plopped down on the stool and my g/f said we need this, this,this to match HIM. The SA didn't bat an eye and $300 later we were all happy.

I am of the opinion that when an SA asks you a question about who the clothes are for ("Are these for your wife?"), she is trying to find out if they are for you. It could be really awkward to ask if they were for you. If she was wrong, it would be like asking a straight man if he was gay or a overweight woman if she was pregnant. It would be a faux pas.

With that said, I have been asked by a saleslady at the cash register while I was in line with other people about the panties I was buying, "Are these for someone else?" I was caught off guard. I wasn't going to lie. I was not at the point where I felt comfortable admitting that they were for me. I, with a shocked expression said, "No." Then she became awkward. Seeing my expression, made her realize that she had outed me. She apologized and stammered that she thought I was shopping with someone else. We both awkwardly finished the transaction and I left without making eye contact with any other shoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjohanne View Post
    I am of the opinion that when an SA asks you a question about who the clothes are for ("Are these for your wife?"), she is trying to find out if they are for you. It could be really awkward to ask if they were for you. If she was wrong, it would be like asking a straight man if he was gay or a overweight woman if she was pregnant. It would be a faux pas.

You are exactly correct with your above statement, They are giving you the option to come clean, the pregnant women, example is excellent, An SA might ask a female shopper, "who are these for?" "Oh you congradualtionals Ahhhhhhhh".

In our case, Listen to every post up here, it's a non issue, glad to help, pleasant and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBrook View Post
    I always lie and say they are for my gf. I donno if they believe it or not haha
    you don't have to lie, because you aren't doing anything wrong, nor is it the first time for the SA