Thread: Transgender Police/Uniformed Services

Question Transgender Police/Uniformed Services

So, I was thinking about moving up in my career. I have been doing private security for 8 years and investigation for 5 years , and have reached what I would say is the best I'm going to get in my agency as Captain.

For a while now, I have lived every day in girl form, both at home and at work, and was wondering, are there any Transgender police officers out there? I'm considering making the move over from private to public law enforcement.

I've heard of several making their transition in the UK and Australia. But that's pretty much all I have to offer. Maybe an anonymous phone call to different police departments regarding their policies might be in order? I'm sure there has to be at least one transgender police officer in this country, somewhere. Luck.
    My love is god; let's go get a slushie . . .

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    Unless you want to move to San Francisco there are probably no out trans peace officers. Are there trans officers in the closet you bet.
    Just and older girl trying to experience all that life can bring.
    "Life is not a dress rehearsal"

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Yep. See for example Canada, or USA, Canada, Australia, UK.

There are some cities which would be happy to have a trans officer on general principles; and there are some cities which would love to have a trans officer who was willing to be known as being a trans officer -- someone would was willing to be on diversity committees, act as liaison to the trans population, show up in pictures as being examples of how diverse the force was, and so on.

I have met a FtM post op TS who worked on the San Francisco police force. He is a great guy and I saw him twice marching in the SF Pride parade. I would prepare a resume and send it out. Use your legal name, and if you have legally changed your name and gender marker, then if necessary let them know your status. There are places out there and your past experience should be a good help. Out here they are just starting to hire new police people because they let some go and slowed down hiring in the past due to the economic situation which hit them hard. Good luck.

Banned Read only
    Move to Seattle.

Aspiring Member
    There used to be an organization called TOPS (Transgender Officers Protect and Serve).
    When I googled it I found another organization:

http://www.tcops-international.org/vision.html
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

One that sprung to mind was Jan Hamilton in Scotland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Hamilton
    Pursue happiness, with diligence

My blog: A Circular Square

If you live as a girl, couldn't you apply as a woman officer? Or do you want to advertise T-ness?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Move to Seattle.
    What is in Seattle?

Better acceptance and the laws to back it up!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieC View Post
    If you live as a girl, couldn't you apply as a woman officer? Or do you want to advertise T-ness?
    Most law enforcement agencies do pretty extensive background checks... Lying on an application would be grounds for not being hired.
    Last edited by kellycan27; 06-09-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Gold Member
    Sorry; I know Racine Wisconsin. I live in Lake County Illinois.
    I do not think you could get a job in Racine, WI.
    Good luck though.
    Rader

The former Melissa I Michelle I's Avatar
    Being a former law enforcement officer, most departments are very closed minded, we had one GG that spent 25 years on the department and fought a constant battle to be accepted and some never did accept her. I have heard stories from other departments along the same lines. This is the Midwest, maybe the west is better, I would hope so

Just a thought...I live in San Jose and we have a fairly progressive PD force. Our current mayor, not understanding how to budget without an axe, has created a situation where a lot of the experienced officers are leaving for greener pastures. There may be opportunities to move to a very progressive part of the world and also live in one of the nicest places (albeit expensive) places in the U.S.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Thanks for all the responses!