Thread: My M2F HRT Regimen Legitimized

My M2F HRT Regimen Legitimized

This morning I went to an endocrinologist who was referred to me by my primary care physician. He asked me several questions and was satisfied that M2F HRT was OK for me. I told him what my self medication dosages were and he wants me for the time being to continue on the regimen.

He had me submit blood samples to determine the levels of estrogen and testosterone. After the analysis comes in he will adjust the dosages accordingly.

I was kind of dreading visiting him with what I was doing but he turned out to be a very kind person who was not only concerned with my welfare but also with my wife, who is also his patient.

So I say those who are self medicating - it would be good to get professional advice. I did not have to see a counselor to legitimize my HRT. Of course it did help to have a femme haircut, lipstick, and something of a feminine figure.

Johanna (formerly John)
    Last edited by JohnH; 07-04-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

John

So I say those who are self medicating - it would be good to get professional advice.
    I am glad you took your own advice.

As I have noted before, the father of my son's best friend in high school self-medicated with hormones and eventually died of congestive heart failure directly attributable to the HRT regimen he was taking.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

YMMV
    I'm glad that you're getting medical supervision for your hrt John, sounds like drinking less has helped you be healthier also!
    "In our lives, change is unavoidable, loss is unavoidable. In the adaptability and ease with which we experience change, lies our happiness and freedom."

"My actual gender identity emerged as I healed from the scars of childhood not because of those scars" - Kelly J

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    You have made the right choice ... regardless of how you might appear, anyone taking (or considering taking) HRT should GO SEE A DOC ! They will not actually care if you appear very feminine or not.
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post

I did not have to see a counselor to legitimize my HRT. Of course it did help to have a femme haircut, lipstick, and something of a feminine figure.

John
    John,It is high time we get to see those real pics of you! It may help others that want to skip a step toward evaluation for HRT by choosing the right haircut,lipstick,as well as accenting their feminine figure!!! So John,bring on the pics as curious minds want to know..
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

I will admit that it definitely lifted a lot off of my shoulders when I was finally able to get my prescription and it was legitimized.

However, I remember when I first started self-medicating, and I did just what you recommended;

I went to get professional advice; from a doctor; to look into it.

They pretty much kicked me out of the office saying "self-medicating anything is bad, don't be stupid". However, I still did, and when I went to ANOTHER doctor, I asked for them to take blood tests for it, to make sure that everything so far had been hunky dory.

They also pretty much kicked me out of the office. I'll explain this below;

1) They can't be seen to condone self medication in any way.
    2) They don't want to lose their jobs.

So if you're looking at seeking professional advice, in my "professional" opinion, for everyone else anyway, I would recommend getting a bit to know up from the net (something that I spent two months doing before delving into the wonderful world of HRT). It did still turn out that I had some pretty freakily high hormone readings on my blood test when I was about to start going onto prescriptions. I believe about four times the highest they put on teh reference range.

Due to rules, I can't list what I was taking' but it wouldn't change anything anyway as we all "digest" the hormone differently.

But I will say that it IS dangerous, and it can be harmful later on. Make sure you can at least get hold of a sympathetic doctor who just might do those blood tests for you; and it will help in the long run so that you aren't on the verge of keeling over at any point.

Remember, too much estrogen is NOT necessarily a good thing!

Sorry if I maybe hijacked that a bit; but I 100% agree with you JohnH, as precaution is the best way to go about anything.

Professional medical advice can save you a lot of trouble, and a lot of illness if something goes wrong. Also, for those who have to order from the net, be weary of fake pills that are flying around a lot these days. They say it's this, but it's just a placebo. It's an important thing to keep in mind.

Research is key! Learning is the best way to protect yourself from harm in these cases!

So John,bring on the pics as well as a name change! Kinda silly using John at this point in your gender bending,isn't it? Remember John,the butt doesn't make the woman...drop the TAAZ enhancements and show us all you as we are curious...please,please!!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

I was not going to write on this forum, but here goes...

I got the blood lab results back and the numbers are consistent with what would be expected for a genetic woman.

I had to go to a compounding pharmacy to get my injectable estradiol. It turns out my Walgreens pharmacy was unable to fill my estradiol prescription.

[Edit] The statement below is no longer true - I have decided to adopt a feminine name for the peace of the forum.

As far as my gender bending I have resolved to stick to my masculine name. After all there are genetic women that have masculine names. [End edit]

Johanna (Formerly John)
    Last edited by JohnH; 07-04-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Sure, I know a lot of women named John.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    Sure, I know a lot of women named John.
    She could (seriously) slightly slur the 'h' so her name sounds like Joan. But John is her name and she likes it so I will also.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

YMMV
    It seems to me that anyone who tells people not to self-medicate would appreciate a thread like this where John has taken their advice and found a medical professional to be involved. I don't think it would be healthy for any of us to put someone else's priorities above what we as individuals deem necessary to be happy.
    "In our lives, change is unavoidable, loss is unavoidable. In the adaptability and ease with which we experience change, lies our happiness and freedom."

"My actual gender identity emerged as I healed from the scars of childhood not because of those scars" - Kelly J

Yes. I'm Glad John is doing HRT the safe way. Congrats!

Shoot, I've spent a lot of money and put my career at risk for nothing. I feel extra sorry for those silly girls that lost wives and family because they were so stupidly focused on being honest with everyone.

Hell if you ask me, John's a friggin' genius.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 07-04-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Reference to deleted post removed
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post

Hell if you ask me, John's a friggin' genius.

Yes... I feel foolish now. Please strike my previous comments from the record.

Just 'Sayin...

My endo told me yesterday that too much estradiol for me too quickly might lead to "a proinflammatory effect that might have negative consequences." Not having any real idea of any of the actual medical subtleties of HRT endocrinology, I just quietly gasped to myself, and resolved never to mention to him the full extent of my pre-formal HRT experimentation.

So maybe I could have done research at the internet school of medicine, and obtained good blood numbers, too, but I personally wouldn't have had a clue of the actual statistical risk levels I was exposing myself to, nor could have possibly detected what might be going astray with my laywoman's interpretation of the implications of the various relationships between blood parameters and physical symptoms.

Please, ladies who are new to this, don't tinker with your blood chemistry with an internet degree in endocrinology.

With love and respect, Ann Louise Basketfield (yes, that's my full name now - out and proud!)

[later (7:09AM 7/4): apologies to all for posting in the wrong thread - I thought that's what this one was about, and have been really bad about realizing what the correct forum venue should be - ALB]
    Last edited by Ann Louise; 07-04-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Mea Maxima Culpa
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

Just to confuse all of the girlfriends I have made so far, and to honor John's boldness, I think I'll call myself Michael from now on.

Oh, wait!!! I already am called Michael. Sheeesh, maybe I should choose a name like...oh, Susan.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar

Angry No more off-topic discussions

This thread was allowed to stay because it started before we re-focussed the rules of this forum.

There was some value in John's admission that we had been right all along to tell him not to self-medicate but under the present rules this thread would not have stayed in Transsexual Forum.

Any further discussion of John's gender-bending or choice to continue to be known by his male name (including any from the OP) will be deleted and may lead to further action.

Rianna Humble
    P'd off Moderator, Transsexual Forums & Safe Haven
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity