Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transamerica

Transamerica

I'm curious as to what everyone's reactions were to David Letterman's interview of Desperate Housewive's star Felicity Huffman last night? The interview was focussed around her role in the newly released movie TransAmerica in which she plays an M-to-F transexual. The movie appears to be very good. During the interview Ms. Huffman came across as being very enlightened and empathetic to the challenges of TS's. Letterman seemed to be somewhat interested in learning about TS, but of course he had to throw in a few of his barbs to try and get a laugh. It was the conduct of his goofy looking (and even goofier acting) band leader that bothered me the most. He made fun of our plight. Oh well. Anyway, the one short clip of the movie they showed during the interview makes me think the rest of the film may be worth seeing.
    Last edited by MarieTS; 01-06-2006 at 07:40 PM.
    Marie

Departed
    On one of the Chicago based forums I saw some pretty good reviews about the movie. The director knows a TS very well and was really taken by her life and the lives of other TSs. He said he could make movies about nothing but TSs from now until the day he dies and not even scratch the surface. I'm going to wait until it's a DVD then buy it. Just another to add to my collection.

As for Letterman, what did you expect. The ignorant always make fun of what they fear.

Letterman Reaction

I think you girls missed the point. While it was clear that Letterman was uncomfortable and tried to be funny, he also did give the movie and the issues more than the usual 30 seconds. Also, he seemed to allow Felicity Huffman plenty of opportunity to talk about the issue. This isn't the Oprah show so all in all not that bad. Just one girls opinion.

Question

It's better than the Jerry Springer stuff. I still think it took guts for Felicity to play Bree, and give her props for wanting to show the character in a somewhat truthful way instead of the stereotypes of TS people that the media normally portrays.

I'm still miffed that I can't seem to find 'Transamerica' in a local theater. Me & my g/f would see it if it were, and I'm sure a lot of other people around here would as well. *sigh* Hopefully, now that Felicity has been nominated for a SAG (Screen Actor's Guild) award for this movie, maybe it'd be more likely to run in places where TS issues are still taboo.

Oh... and hi. I'm new and posted in the Introduction forum... so... hi.

Katie
    "My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it for so long. I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don't make that mistake yourself. Life's too damn short." - Armistead Maupin

I saw Transamerica over the holidays in NYC with my SO. Very good protrayal of the subject, no sensationalism unlike the Nip/Tuck season finale. The actors were fantastic and some real people from the community appeared in the movie, such as Andrea James and Calpernia Addams. More importantly it provided an opening for deeper discussions into the subject of my dysphoria.

Frances

Where it's playing

I just checked near me and the only place showing it is the "Bridge" in San Francisco. May be the largest G,L,TG comunity in the country and only one theater. Go figure.
    Love & Hugggs,

Alison

Smile , it makes people wonder what your thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Alison Michelle
    I just checked near me and the only place showing it is the "Bridge" in San Francisco. May be the largest G,L,TG community in the country and only one theater. Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieKaboodle
    I'm still miffed that I can't seem to find 'Transamerica' in a local theater ... now that Felicity has been nominated for a SAG (Screen Actor's Guild) award for this movie, maybe it'd be more likely to run in places where TS issues are still taboo.
    It may just be economics. A friend of mine makes (feature-length) indie films and tells me that getting them shown in chain multiplexes is just murder.

The Bridge is an “alternative” theater, so it is always looking for movies like this. I saw it the other day there and was quite impressed. I expected it to be a “one trick pony” but it's a quite complex and layered story with many characters and a lot of fine acting and directing.

Huffman’s performance was exceptional – early in the tale she showed a lot of subtle “readable” traits but slowly lost them as the story unfolded. It must have been a very difficult character for her to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarajeanne
    While it was clear that Letterman was uncomfortable and tried to be funny, he also did give the movie and the issues more than the usual 30 seconds. Also, he seemed to allow Felicity Huffman plenty of opportunity to talk about the issue.
    I agree. We are starting to get more respectful and positive media attention. But, we still have to remember that the Lettermans and others in the industry need a little time to reach a level of knowledge of, and comfort with, TG/TS. After all, we ourselves are still trying to figure some of it out.

I didn't think that Letterman was mean, just awkward and at sea re: what to say and what would play (the first concern of someone in that position). He is supposed to be a funnyman, after all.
    Last edited by Rachel Ann; 01-09-2006 at 02:33 AM.
    In another time's forgotten space
    Your eyes looked through your mother's face
    Wildflower seed and sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home
    - Robert Hunter

Rachel Ann, I think you're post is pretty much right on the money. Thanks. I sure wish I could find the movie around here. It's not playing anywhere. I understand your comment about the cineplex's, yet the BrokeBack Mountain flick is everywhere. Go figure
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by MarieTG
    I understand your comment about the cineplex's, yet the BrokeBack Mountain flick is everywhere. Go figure
    Thanks, Marie.

I don’t know the details re: those two movies’ backers. But I do know that you need more than great connections - you need big angels. Theaters just won't show your movie if you don't pay to advertise it. It costs many millions to advertise nationwide. And that is after you have just sunk a fortune in to production and don’t have a dime to show for it yet.

My friend has been struggling for three years to get his very charming film (also featuring Graham Greene) off the indie circuit and in to the mass market.
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17169 It doesn’t seem to matter whom you know or how many awards you win, it’s all about the money.

Then again, things that fizzle out in the mainstream theater market turn up more quickly in video rental.
    Last edited by Rachel Ann; 01-09-2006 at 02:29 AM.
    - Robert Hunter

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    FYI, Transamerica is scheduled to go into wider distribution Jan. 20, although it will still be the top 20 markets.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it gradually goes into wider distribution -- it's a classic "word of mouth" distribution strategy, plus if (as likely) Huffman gets an Oscar nomination, they'll be able to leverage the free publicity, since I'm sure there's not a huge advertising budget. Another part of the economics, is that costs money for make a print for every theater a movie gets shown at, so indie films tend to open small and only incur the costs of a wider release if it looks like they'll be profitable.

FYI, "Brokeback" had a marquee (and bankable) director as well as two big name stars and at least one well-known writer, which is why it got wider distribution. Let's face it, if Felicity Huffman hadn't landed "Desparate Housewives" after being cast in "Transamerica," "Transamerica" probably would've played some festivals and maybe gotten into a few select theaters in NY, LA and SF for a week or two.
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

Marlena and Rachel Ann-- Thanks for your insights! Yep, you're both certainly right about the power of big bucks in Hollywood... it's kinda like Cubba Gooding's famous line out of Jerry McQuire... "Show me the money!"
    Unfortunately, I bet you are as right as Seattle rain that if it weren't for Felicity Huffman's new found popularity, Transamerica may very well have wound up on the cutting room floor. Although I bet more than a few of us could play the part, huh?!?!
    Marie

I can not wait to see it. Felicity Huffman was on the view last week...it sounds fantastic. It was directed by her hubby....the clips were very good as well
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

transamerica is not out on "wide release" until jan 20th.
    there is plenty of buzz about it and i think it will play
    in as many theathers as Brokeback.
    Brokeback is a piece of work that have so much to say
    about its topic. it is a great film to see and digest... you'll get plenty full.
    brokeback was shot for 13million and is not wasted hollywood's tripe.

i can't stand huffman from desperate housewife -- she is really ugly --
    i would have been interested if the film used a REAL transexual. but as is,
    i'm not.

well there is also "breakfast on pluto" that is out or soon to release.

I can't wait to see it, ought to help put a more postive spin on how the public views us. We are trying to get a group of girls together to go see it this weekend. Should be fun!

You go girl!

From Huffman's Golden Globe Award acceptance speech:

"I know as actors our job is usually to shed our skins, but I think as people our job is to become who we really are, and so I would like to salute the men and women who brave ostracism, alienation and a life lived on the margins to become who they really are."
    Lena

Talking

I still can't believe that Felicity won Best Actress for it!! This bodes well for the Oscar!

Personally, I think it would be great to have a second transgender movie get an Academy award (the first, of course, being Hillary Swank in "Boys Don't Cry"). I think the more that TG's/TS's are portrayed in the media in a positive light, the more discussion it will bring, and the more we can communicate our own experiences.

And before anyone makes the comment about Teena Brandon/Brandon Teena, I am well aware that he wrote bad checks and broke the law, etc. But the movie itself is a wonderful telling of his tale, and it creates discussion. So... yeah...

Katie
    "My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it for so long. I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don't make that mistake yourself. Life's too damn short." - Armistead Maupin

Hey, Marlena:

I loved that speech (I blew her a kiss for it). Anything portraying us positively is good. We should encourage the studios to continue to show us with respect by at least watching the movie. Now that Felicity won, I hope it will be available in more theaters and more people will be curious enough to show up at the box office. I know it was only available in one theater here in NYC, so I hope to catch it soon before it's gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by terza
    i can't stand huffman from desperate housewife -- she is really ugly --
    i would have been interested if the film used a REAL transexual. but as is,
    i'm not
    Wow, terza, I think that's pretty harsh . . . you don't want to see the movie because you find her unattractive?
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I guess it will eventually arrive in Britain around about 2008, then. Oh well, just have to be patient.
    [SIZE=5]Natalie [SIZE=4](the Tranny Granny)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]The thantom phread killer striks again[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex
    Now that Felicity won, I hope it will be available in more theaters and more people will be curious enough to show up at the box office.
    It's due to go into a wider release this weekend -- top 20 markets, I believe -- although with the Golden Globe win and Oscar buzz, I suspect it might go into additional markets.
    Lena

I caught the Golden Globe Award speech by Huffman as well. Was in mixed company at the time but I wanted to stand up and applause!! Congratulations Felicity Huffman.

Love, Jo
    It is hard work to be beautiful.

What we are given is our Fate...What we do with it is our Destiny!

La Huffman! For the speech and for her portrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by KatieKaboodle
    And before anyone makes the comment about Teena Brandon/Brandon Teena, I am well aware that he wrote bad checks and broke the law, etc. But the movie itself is a wonderful telling of his tale, and it creates discussion. So... yeah...
    Committing certain crimes does not necessarily make you a bad person. The tale is to be told and each person must draw their own conclusions. Ditto for actors/actresses, and other entertainers. Their art is to be separated from their personal character.

The family registered complaints about the portrayal of Teena/Brandon, but these may have really been about money. Apparently, once you have been in the news, you lose all rights to your name and image, and how they are depicted. However, people with a lot of money seem to have a magical way around this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne08
    I caught the Golden Globe Award speech by Huffman as well. Was in mixed company at the time but I wanted to stand up and applaud!!
    Acceptance is a slow process. I got some raised eyebrows just for mentioning that I had seen the film.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex
    Wow, terza, I think that's pretty harsh . . . you don't want to see the movie because you find her unattractive?
    Amen to that!
    Last edited by Rachel Ann; 01-17-2006 at 04:12 PM.
    - Robert Hunter

Thank you Marie for directing me to your thread, I was beginning to think no one cared or had any opinions. Cudo's from me as well for Felicity however I just can't seem to think that most of the "general" public would have much intrest other than treating this movie like another Mrs. Doubtfire or Tootsie. I think this movie strikes a cord with all of us here, I just hope it gets enough recognition to advance to our cities

You're very welcome, Donna. I'm Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for your input. Like you, I hope it will appear in our theatres sooooon.
    Marie

Smile Transamerica was a great flick !

Hi Girls ,,
    I seen transamerica last month in tribeka NYC ..It was showing for genderpac and there was a after party . It was shown in Robert Denaro Tri Breka film festval theater .. The Movie was not GREAT ,it was FAB,Wonderful ,a true to life film! Felicity Hoffman played a very beleiveble part and there was transwomen and men in the movie too . A fewgood friends had few bit parts in the movie . My great friend Binaca Lee who is a trans -women was wonderful in playing a southern transgender women that was having a party in the movie.. She was also at the after-party too.
    Well go see this movie ,you will love it ! hugs,Wendi

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi {LI NY}
    My great friend Binaca Lee who is a trans -women was wonderful in playing a southern transgender women that was having a party in the movie.. She was also at the after-party too. Well go see this movie ,you will love it ! hugs,Wendi
    Finally got to see the movie last night and it was excellent! I highly recommend it to everyone. Fortunately, it did open in a few more theaters here this weekend and the theater I went to was sold out, so that's very encouraging. Hopefully, through word-of-mouth, more people will hear about it and want to see it.

Wendi, your friend was great - loved the party scene. In fact, I thought the whole cast was great. Well done, everyone. I've got my fingers crossed for an Oscar nom for Felicity.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]