Thread: Any musicians in Tampa? Thinking about starting a girl band....

I am Ana, hear me roar! 27th Jennifer's Avatar

Any musicians in Tampa? Thinking about starting a girl band....

I hope I posted this in the right place, if not, my apologies....
    I'm an experienced bass player looking to perhaps start an all-TG/CD/TS band in Tampa. A bit of practice and some extra scratch (really need some new shoes) and a good time. Anyone interested?
    Here was my inspiration for the idea:
    http://gendersociety.com/articles/27...eak-the-evolut

Sejd
    Sounds like so much fun. Unfortunately I live on the West Coast LOL

I agree with Sejd! It sounds like fun but I live no where near the east coast. Good luck finding some other bandies!

As a former professional musician, I found it hard enough to get and keep a band together with "normal" people. Add to that the difficulty of finding enough work for a "normal" band to keep the band together.

I wish you luck though. If you find the right people it could be fun.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I played in a band for years, and I know what a pain it can be to keep it together.
    I was hoping for:
    1. Playing live music with interesting people
    2. Some extra cash for clothes/shoes/makeup
    and
    3. a good excuse to buy the aforementioned clothes/shoes/makeup!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Not much money in gigging unless the club owner is willing to split the door and bar with you.
    Most clubs will not pay at all.
    In my experience if you have a name or a good fan base they will cut you a deal on drinks or food but thats about it.
    The band I work for now as the guitar tech and roadie gets lots of gigs but paid very little maybe enough to cover the gas to get to the gig.If you can find a promoter that has a good reputation he can steer you to more paying gigs and better clubs.Some promoters will force you to sell tickets to get paid.If you don't sell the set amount of tickets you won't get paid.
    Sorry I had to tell you that but its the way it is.
    Its all about playing and getting your bands name out there and having fun anyway.If you get lucky you may make a little money.
    Having been in several bands over the years only one went anywhere and got recognition but it was fun touring and having a blast.
    We did manage to get on the bill with some big names so that helped us to actually get some decent paid gigs.
    I actually do have a gig at a local recording studio doing overdubs/fill in parts on existing tracks when they need it.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 06-17-2013 at 07:48 PM.

I just don't have time for such an undertaking. Wish I did.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

In my day, bands got paid to perform. We were professionals and looked and acted like professionals.

I don't understand what it is with club owners these days. They pay their bartenders and cooks, they pay electricians and plumbers to work in their clubs, yet they expect musicians to work for free or for tips.

I suppose the problem is, musicians are dumb enough to do it so why not? That's a big part of why I am no longer playing.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

That sounds great! If I were in the area, and if I could actually play worth a damn, I'd want to join.

Michaella

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Not much money in gigging unless the club owner is willing to split the door and bar with you.
    Most clubs will not pay at all.
    In my experience if you have a name or a good fan base they will cut you a deal on drinks or food but thats about it.
    Its all about playing and getting your bands name out there and having fun anyway.If you get lucky you may make a little money.
    I've been down that road before. I played in a fairly well regarded all original band for years, and I don't think we ever made more than 100 bucks in a night. Tons of free drinks, and the clubs always wanted us back because our fan base was made up of serious alcoholics.
    I was thinking maybe a cover band doing T. Rex, Bowie, that sort of thing. Probably not going to happen, so I'll just have to stick to my electronic music. At least then I don't need a band!

Banned Spammer
    These days bands are selling songs on itunes and I don't blame them.
    If I were playing in a band I would demand to get paid its as simple as that.If the bar didn't want to pay I wouldn't play there.The band I work for now doesn't see it that way sadly.
    They look at it as practice and if it pays fine if not thats fine too.
    Club owners can be real a holes sometimes.
    The last show we did we were the band that came the farthest to play so all the other bands gave us their pay for the night.I thought that was a nice gesture.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 06-18-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Musicians and bands playing free, or cheaply, bring down the whole industry. The whole bar business is dismal now anyway. Gee, you can't smoke in bars, you sure as hell can't drink in them anymore (unless you can walk home).
    The future fr working musicians is finding new revenue streams. Metal bands usually make more selling thier t shirts than playing. In country music it's all about Cd's. Country folk don't believe in itunes. Fairs and municipal events usually pay $3-5000 to the headliner, corporate events and weddings the going rate is 3k. The money is out there, you've just got to break from the bar band mindset.
    To break out you've just got to be better than your competition (much, much better), uber proffesional, and be it original, or cover, bite your tongue and play music people want to hear.
    Two places you can play free, Nashville, and Austin. If your better than the rest (and the bar s set VERY high) , you will get heard by the right people.
    Last edited by I Am Paula; 06-18-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Banned Spammer
    The band I work for is getting some recognition in Germany,The Netherlands and the UK getting airtime on radio which has done good for their bottom line in CD sales.
    Getting a gig in their hometown is close to impossible LOL.
    Good points Celeste I agree.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 06-19-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Wish I lived in Tampa. I've been trying the same thing here in Michigan. Can't get no satisfaction. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

What genre of music? I guess it would have to be some type of Rock?

Venues that pay are getting rare around here too. I've been at this too long to start playing for a sandwich and tips.

I'm an active musician but only play in drab. Might be fun to play in girl mode though I'd certainly have to go outside of the music community I'm in right now. Same old story I suppose. Other the other hand, at this stage of my life, I kind of consider my music to be art so what does it matter what the artist looks like. Speaking only for me on this, I feel a bit of cognitive dissonance with playing music and being fem. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by melanie206 View Post
    Speaking only for me on this, I feel a bit of cognitive dissonance with playing music and being fem. Any thoughts?
    Breast forms get in the way of my guitar. Playing music doesn't have anything to do with CDing to me. I would only see CDing on stage as a gimmick to attract attention.

When your nurturing the groove with the bass player, and massaging the beat with a great drummer, it doesn't matter how you're dressed, it all in your headspace. I play more en femme than not, and it's still a rush to go out on stage dressed to impress, but it's still the music that matters.

Banned Read only
    I've been here since 76. One of my Xes was an entertainer and played solo for a while in this area before forming her own ALL female band and then an all male band...

Life was much simpler playing solo and the money was better w/o all the various personality conflicts and having to split the money up. The ONLY way to make any money at all [currently in this area] is to be able to play solo and be da** good at it.

It would be hard as a drummer wearing heels anyway...

In my day, it was possible to make a living as a musician. To play six nights a week in a club or lounge. The club or lounge paid you and did their own advertising, collected cover charges or admission, etc. You only responsibility was to play well and entertain the crowd. There was a musician's union and it saw to it that the clubs paid a decent wage. There was none of the crap that goes on now.

I'm glad now that I eventually chose a different career path. Making a living as a musician today would be nearly impossible.