Thread: Dressing in historic clothes. Anyone done it?

Dressing in historic clothes. Anyone done it?

Reading the thread about the sixties reminded me. I've often wondered about wearing historic clothes. Sixties, Victorian and early. I have worn seventies clothes because that's when I started CDing. But what about earlier?

I was an extra in a number of films and TV programmes some set in the past. When you see the clothes women wore in the past, some of them are stunning. Although I wasn't in the programme. I was on the set of the Tudors. I really loved the clothes. I was told too, that they were made exactly like real thing and they looked it. There was nothing as odd as seeing a woman speaking on a phone and smoking a cigarette in full renaissance costume.

I do wonder if there's anywhere you can go and try historic dresses?

While these clothes are awesome they can also be a lot of work. A friend of mine is into this and looks stunning but I can't imagine myself wearing a hoop skirt or a bustle really.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

There's a CD in the local re-enactor community that dresses in period garb at Civil War events. I'm 6'4" & 280 and she makes me look petite, but sometimes I admire her more for her willingness to wear woolen clothing in 90 degree weather than for her commitment to appearing as a woman. I'll be in shorts and a tank top worrying about how sweaty my wig makes me feel when she strides by in the full period attire and makes it looks easy and comfortable.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I just purchased these vintage coats at a studio prop auction. Plus, some others in a full rack I bought. Still need to drive to Hollywood to pick them up.

I'm looking forward to matching the coats with some 40's/50's looks from Sherry's store room. Probably not until Fall, tho.

630.jpg 694.jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Oh yes I would love clothes like that. I have walked around a studio wardrobe, drooling. The twenties would be one of my favourites. I love the dresses and hats in those old glamour movies from the 20s/30s/40s.

Kali, I agree. I have worn period clothes, men's only of course, and they are remarkably heavy. They were big into layers. How they coped with heat I don't know. My Mother told me that everyone smelled back in the day, particularly men because they wore the same heavy clothes all the time. No anti perspirant deodorant back then.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I tend to have quite the collection of yesteryear fashions, I'm more passionate about my Victorian era collection. I founded a historic costume group here in Winnipeg in which we go on steam train trips, museums, plays and where ever catches our eye.
    I have many threads in the photo section and Special occasin section of some of the fun.

I have attended medieval evenings mostly for eating, but costume is worn and winter time is the best as most costumes are heavy and cumbersome.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

At a costume party, I have worn a dress from the revolutionary war period when women wore whale bone corsets and showed plenty of cleavage for a costume party. It was made of heavy silk brockade and was incredibly heavyI loved it.

Haven't dressed but would love to wear one of those outfits that Judy Garland wore in her movies especially the ones where she was wearing a corset.

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    Reminds me of an old Playboy magazine cartoon, I think somewhere in the 1960’s.
    This guy is all decked-out in a Marie Antoinette outfit, and his wife is sitting in a living room chair, knitting, and she says something like “Couldn’t you have chosen another time period?”

Hi Everyone

Yes I do Medieval and recently started Civil War (US). Just attended on the 22nd The Statehood Ball celebrating West Virginias 150th Birthday. W wore a green dress with hoops under all thet are quite comfortable but you do have to get used to taking up more room than you used too
    Hugs Annette
    "It takes more courage for a man to appear in public wearing a dress than to charge into battle"

Me July 2005

Platinum Member
    I have a pair of boots that date back to the first Nixon administration. Does that count?

While I do not walk in the Pride parade, the River City Gems contingent wears Southern Belle dresses in the San Francisco and Sacramento Pride parades. A thread on the Sacramento Pride parade can be found here: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...nto-Pride-2013

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Annette_boy View Post
    Hi Everyone

Yes I do Medieval and recently started Civil War (US). Just attended on the 22nd The Statehood Ball celebrating West Virginias 150th Birthday. W wore a green dress with hoops under all thet are quite comfortable but you do have to get used to taking up more room than you used too
    Hugs Annette
    I find that hoop skirts are quite comfortable as well. Those that haven't really experienced the hoop skirt make the assumptions of them being uncomfortable, especially in the warmer weather. When i'm out in my big dresses, people look at them and make remarks like "must be hot in that". Matter of fact most of my dresses are have a high percent of cotton and the hoops act as air conditioning

I wore my mom's bra once, does that count?

I'm interested, but most historical women's clothes are something of a turn-off for me. I'd have to go back to Rome or something like that.

Or I could wear a sari.

Now that I think about it, my sarongs are technically historical because they've been a relatively unchanged style of clothing for thousands of years.

I had some fun and wore a french maid's uniform.

http://www.verymerryseamstress.com/home.htm

http://www.recollections.biz/

Both are nice places with beautiful looking old styles...

I've been attending RenFaires for years, and hope to go enfemme this year. I first dressed in the early '50's. Lauren Bacall was the sharpest dressed lady of the 40's - 50's.

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Hi,

Im a Chateline of the Castle or mistress in the evening & a wench for household kitchen dutys, & an Archer with our Armory in the field , The Barony of Southron Gaard, covers 1400 to 1700. plus singing & music,

The other is our Edwardian Heritage Group. 1900 to 1914.

I make my clothes or have them given to me to resize to fit. so we are dressed every few weeks sometimes more for different aspects of what we do. very involved in our communitys,

...noeleena...

For about a decade Marcia Staylace, OBM, and I co-chaired "The Victorian Lacing Table," an annual day long event in San Francisco. We would have presentations by corset wearers, corset makers, and historians, and, of course, as hostess and moderator I was always tightly laced and in character.

For the past couple of years Eryn and I and our spouses have made an annual pilgrimage to the RenFaire and we're beginning to get more into the appropriate attire.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    Last edited by Persephone; 07-04-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

I've dressed in both the clothes of the 50's and the 60's but of course at the time the clothes where not vintage yet, it's when I started dressing. Wish I had some of those clothes now!
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Does the Ren Faire count? I went dressed as a midieval wench in a costume I rented. BTW, it was my first time out.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.