Thread: Interviewing tip

Interviewing tip

I have read a few threads about getting a job while dressed. My .02 worth is to NOT mention your wardrobe at all. If they ask then let them know about you. I stress again YOU not the clothes on your back. If you make your clothes an issue then the person conducting the interview will make an issue of it. We all know that if an issue arises at an interview then that candidate is passed over.
    Be confident! Stand your ground and OWN it! Say it loud and SAY it proud!

I am pretty sure that unless one is super passable .. The fact that you are a man in a dress would be self evident to the interviewer. That's like saying.... If I close my eyes.... You can't see me. My
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Gold Member
    I am a little puzzled too Lisa. Can you elaborate? I just can't see any of us going to an interview crossdressed and it not being an issue that is discussed. Even a super positive and accepting place would probably raise a discussion about it.

Silver Member
    Unless the position is for a Drag Queen, it is best to dress conservatively and in a style which matches other employees. You should focus on qualifications and experience, not hobbies, interests, personal beliefs, religion, politics or crossdressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    I am a little puzzled too Lisa. Can you elaborate? I just can't see any of us going to an interview crossdressed and it not being an issue that is discussed. Even a super positive and accepting place would probably raise a discussion about it.
    You might be surprised. Last summer I interviewed for several jobs, and received multiple offers. The subject simply didn't come up with the vast majority of the people involved in the interviews. When it did come up it was almost invariably with people who had known me pre-transition, or with HR staff when discussing benefits. My wife swears I pass well, but in practice I think it's more a matter of confidence and being at ease that helps other accept me, whether or not they suspect I was assigned male at birth.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdress View Post
    Unless the position is for a Drag Queen, it is best to dress conservatively and in a style which matches other employees. You should focus on qualifications and experience, not hobbies, interests, personal beliefs, religion, politics or crossdressing.
    Spot on!
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Banned Read only
    It's true Kelly, go ahead, close your eyes, you can't see me.

No no no... It's if I close MY eyes.... You can't see me LOL
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If I can't see you you can't see me. Holds hands over eyes.
    I went for an interview last year and I was deff a guy in womens clothes but that was never discussed.My Transgenderism was discussed.
    The lady doing the interview asked "which gender would you like to be referred as"?
    I said well if I can dress as a female thats pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa marseau View Post
    I have read a few threads about getting a job while dressed. My .02 worth is to NOT mention your wardrobe at all. If they ask then let them know about you. I stress again YOU not the clothes on your back. If you make your clothes an issue then the person conducting the interview will make an issue of it. We all know that if an issue arises at an interview then that candidate is passed over.
    Be confident! Stand your ground and OWN it! Say it loud and SAY it proud!
    While great in theory, it's not so great in practice. As a former hiring manager, I know issues are raised or noticed in more ways than just verbally. Avoiding speaking about them does not make them disappear or not be a factor in interview assessments and decisions. The OP is stating how you are dressed on a job interview is not important if you do not talk about it or refocus the discussion, thus not making it an issue. My many years of experience has shown me otherwise. Inferences, assumptions and judgements are made even if a noticed topic or issue is never discussed. Just because the interviewer does not address the issue does not mean it is not a big deal to them. There are often many qualified candidates for most job openings and it is often the smaller things that distinguishes the one who gets the offer and the ones who are second and third choices. Your appearance does make a difference - right, wrong, fair or unfair. It would be great if your attire or presentation, even if professional, did not make a difference, but it does matter.

Hi.

It allso depends on what is meant to start with what clothes you are wearing & for what position, in my field it would not make any difference for a guy or who i have working for or under me.as a normal guy in his normal clothes,

okay im a builder, employed quite a few guys plus our daughter all on the building sites, most guys would wear jeans or shorts & tops or shirts .

i could not have any one on the site in a dress or skirts unless its a Kilt .or in high heels or jewleray in the machine shop. you see i come under health & safety, well in this case im in charge of that, so it really comes down to whats appropreate for the job in hand. i can have women under me they like myself need to dress accordingly for what we are doing.

If a guy or woman came on the job wearing a skirt or dress i would out rank them & they would be put off the job,

So the dress code if you like is importaint. & im a woman who works on building sites, so i need to dress as is needed,

...noeleena...
    Last edited by noeleena; 07-09-2013 at 02:25 AM.

This is one time the clothes do not maketh the person.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Even if it's not an issue with yourself or the interviewer, unless you work by yourself in a back office somewhere or from home, you will have to interact with other people. Unless they are all TG folks, there will eventually be issues my friend.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

It may be because there are certain things an interviewer can not ask without being accused of discrimination. However, if you tell them about an 'issue' they will ask more about it. What the OP said makes sense. Basically, if you present yourself to anyone and you walk and talk like what they are looking for you will get the job. If you want to talk about your differences, do it as a positive thing...your passion for unusual clothing fuels your creativity, you are comfortable, its makes you feel good. Scoff at any hint that it would ever be an issue. But, if you tell them your clothing was a problem at your past workplace, you are divorced because of it, your dog thinks you are cute, your neighbor caught you once and you are dead meat because nobody wants a problem. Don't get them thinking about negative things, you want them to only thing about positives.

...and it could be even more subtle than that, if you look uncomfortable they will pick up on it, so if you wear a skirt you better work it in first so you forget you are even wearing one.
    Chickie

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    Even if it's not an issue with yourself or the interviewer, unless you work by yourself in a back office somewhere or from home, you will have to interact with other people. Unless they are all TG folks, there will eventually be issues my friend.
    The world is changing, and it's not as impossible as most might assume. Megan Wallent is a transgender executive in my industry, an existence proof that it's possible and one of several such inspirations leading me to conclude that I could transition without destroying my life. While I'm not as visible as her these days, I do manage a team and have recently presented to thousands of my employer's customers.

I'm sure it helps that my gender expression is unambiguously female, barring genetic cues entirely out of my control. As unfair as it may be, people are much more comfortable if they can think of someone as male or female without further qualifiers. Even so, I've worked around people who do mix it up successfully. It's just harder to pull off.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Food for thought!!

Most of us can buy more cloths and shoes WITH a job than we can WITHOUT!! You might win the battle but you will probably lose the war.

Susan in Phoenix

MALE BY BIRTH.......

FEMALE BY DESIGN