Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Military

Military

Are there a lot of cders and trans in our armed service I'm just curious

My goodness yes! Just do a search on "military" and see how many threads you find!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Navy, 1966, Vietnam
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

i have met a couple on tumbler. they are very awesome and i have mad respect for them on 2 fronts.
    Let me check the rule book...oh there isn't one! Be yourself and have fun!

There have been threads in the distant past on this subject, as I remember, there are quite a few serving and a LOT of vets. I'm just finishing my 22 years in the UK Military.

There are a number on here who served. I served in the Army in Nam from 1969-1971. As far as currently, every once in awhile a member posts about it but I think the number in the service is pretty much DADT for obvious reasons.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Breannagg,

20 years Navy on submarines. As mentioned before there are a lot of TG folk who come from a military background. If I'm not reading too much in do you have someone significant to you serving in the military now who is Trans?
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Yep I used to be in the Army

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth Wilde View Post
    There have been threads in the distant past on this subject, as I remember, there are quite a few serving and a LOT of vets. I'm just finishing my 22 years in the UK Military.
    RAF aircraft techie for 12 years, Tornado mainly.

I was offered my 22 in the RAF but thought 12 years was enough for any man....er girl....er whatever.

Miss it and the guys & girls immensely and never felt like I've done anything worthwhile since, to be completely honest. Came out shortly after the first Gulf war (Granby/Desert Storm)

Reb
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

getting ready to get out (not because of my CDing) but 5 yrs USMC!

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Wasn't everybody in the military a CD or trans! Probably not, a couple I heard of were gay.

There was a study done whose results were published a bit over a year ago that indicated that the US military has about double the rate of trans people serving than the general population. Apparently, the study hypothesized, there are people born as boys that join the military in the hopes that it will erase the trans feelings they have. I'm also quite certain there are plenty of trans people that serve honorably because it is honorable to do so.

There was an NCIS episode that zeroed in on that, actually, and I thought it was quite compassionate. There was a drug ring or something, and they were interviewing a marine and poking around his house. They kept asking about his girlfriend, and he insisted he had no girlfriend. Then they went out to do more investigating in the building, and while they were out there, the marine got all dressed up, makeup and everything, and, er, not sure about forum rules for this part. So the NCIS crew went up and found him, and there was a closeup of Gibbs being angry about what had happened. The impression *I* got was that Gibbs was being angry that it wasn't ok to be trans, and this marine was no longer with us and had information relevant to the case. It turned out, iirc, that he had been blackmailed by someone who knew his secret.

I know, the NCIS bit wasn't entirely relevant, but it was a powerful episode to me.

Silver Member
    No - there are not a lot of Service members who crossdress. Policies which now encourage enlistment of and protect gay members do not exist for crossdressers and transgendered people. There are several threads which address the Uniformed Code of Military Justice regulations and policies.

That said, since the military is composed of the same population of men and women who live in our country, there should be no difference in the percentage of members who may want to crossdress while they are active military but can't, or who may later crossdress after the service.

http://www.queerty.com/study-militar...ians-20120727/

Sometimes I wonder if people read the post above theirs before posting.

Banned Read only
    Yep, there are many vets on this forum. Drafted in 1969. Did an abbreviated tour in Nam thanks to Charlie Cong and his damn booby traps. That's IED for you new guys.

Same thing was a gripe of mine too until I realized that, while I'm composing my missive, another post had been entered. It happens.
    Julie

Heh, Julie. On another forum I frequent, running phpBB, if another post is made while you're writing yours, it shows it to you and offers you a chance to edit yours. Guess I got kind of spoiled there. (moderation is also quite different. I know, I'm one of the moderators )

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Quite a few actually, I accidentally discovered one of my soldiers was a CD and I knew of one MTF TG also in the same battalion. Most keep it under wraps so I am sure there were more. I was Army.

Back in the days of the draft I'm sure the CD population in the military was the same as the general population. They probably weren't doing any or much dressing, but they probably did before they were inducted and would again when thay were discharged. That is my history. I enlisted in the Air Force rather than be drafted into the Army.

That's what my dad did, actually. He ended up serving for 20-someodd years and retired as a Master Sergeant. Simulators, he did.

I'm willing to bet that even during the days of the draft, the CD population in the military was slightly higher still because of the volunteers, but in theory if the military was composed completely of conscripts, you're correct that the CD population would mirror the general population.

I think there are quite a few. I was in for 5 years active duty before i resigned and got out.

On a tangentially-related note... how many CDers here have stereotypically "male" professions such as engineering, IT, construction, etc?

I used to belong to a local CD group a while back and there were very few members who had stereotypically "female" professions such as teaching, nursing, etc. I wonder if CDing is a safety valve for some people to escape the male-oriented aspects of their lives?

Dawn, to some degree i think that may be a true . i also think that many of us are in those male oriented professions because to convince ourselves that we are manly or as a way to try and cure ourselves of the need to crossdress. Obviously didnt work for me as i found myself needing to dress more and more after i went on active duty.

I am an IT guy but one of the reasons why CDing helps me is to just plain relax at the end of the day......how some guys have a beer to relax....well I put on a dress and heels

I wonder if CDing is a safety valve for some people to escape the male-oriented aspects of their lives?
    For a lot of us this is true. Although I didn't work in the 'trades', I am a licensed general contractor and spent most of my working career in real estate development - talk about 'A' personalities, with a CAPITAL T!!
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.