Thread: Is there an age limit to start HRT?

Is there an age limit to start HRT?

I am older (over 60), but have had an increasing desire to explore HRT (even gave some thought to starting on my own...which I haven't). Anyway, I may be over the age where a doctor would accept me as a patient. Are there any older ladies out there who are going through HRT? Any advice?

Silver Member
    Who 'ya calling "older"?

I'm under 60, but pushing it. My therapist has had patients transition, never mind just start HRT, in their late 70s. The considerations and risks are the same as for anyone - blood pressure, potassium, clotting, prolactin, etc., though obviously the older you are, the more likely there is something that may need to be dealt with or which may block the way. Circulation issues, for example, would be a real concern, as would any negative cardiac history.

The road isn't typically directly to a doctor. In the US, typically one starts with a therapist, obtains a recommendation letter, and then goes to a prescribing physician. The best scenario is to find a gender therapist who is connected to the local medical practitioners who treat the trans population. Given that and otherwise good health, you should have no issues.

"Exploring" HRT is a curious concept. There are risks and there are likely to be permanent changes, even when starting older. Hormones are not to be trifled with, as they control much of your cellular chemistry. While a therapist may allow their use to CONFIRM a diagnosis on occasion, no competent therapist would write a recommendation letter for someone to merely try them.
    Lea

I am 61 years of age, and I have been self-medicating so to make the medication legit my primary care physician referred me to an endocrinologist. My blood analysis came out clean for the most part except for my thyroid activity being a little low (no medication required however). My estrogen and testosterone levels were that of a young genetic woman so I am to continue my dosages as before. In fact my testosterone level is the same as someone who has been castrated even though I am intact.

One thing in favor of an older genetic male is the testosterone levels are much lower than a younger male.

In retrospect I should have sought out a practitioner who would have followed the informed consent model instead of self-medicating.

Johanna (John)
    Last edited by JohnH; 07-09-2013 at 01:42 PM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Thanks gals. I know I've come close a few times to ordering what I need to self-medicate, but the health issues have always held me back. However, you both have given me some hope. Now, I think my next step will be to find a therapist (money willing) and see if I can get a referral for an initial consultation with an MD (I do have some heart issues). HRT is my first choice, but at worst I can continue with breast implants and some other feminizing procedures.

I started a month before my 64th birthday. I haven't had any problems although me doctor is monitoring me carefully. I'm in excellent health too. I have read on this forum that the older you are when you start, the less physical change there will be. This seems to be true in my case. I have been on hrt for 10 months.

diana

Aspiring Member

My take...

I'm 67 and have been on HRT for almost a year; so that means I started at age 66. There is no absolute age limit, it only depends on your general health. Of course the "trend" is that as one ages health issues increase but with careful medical supervision you should be fine.

Good Luck,
    Sandra1746

I started in May at 55. My therapist and I discussed realistic goals. My boobs probably won't balloon into big guns, but few do. There is definitely an 'older tranny' look, as you features are pretty set in their ways, but other than understanding the limitations to feminization at any age, go for it.
    I too had a bit of a problem with the concept of 'exploring' HRT. This is the biggest descision of your life, and can't be taken with anything but fulfledged need, and determination. You are considering making changes to yourself at the cellular level. Imagine changing a horse into a camel. Once the humps there, it can't say 'I don't want to be a camel!'

Or the lumps on your chest!

Johanna

Diana, I'm sorry to hear that the physical changes might be minor the older you are after starting HRT. If I could ask, what physical changes have you experienced? If the question is too personal, I understand - but I am curious as to what to expect... and I'm older than you.

Sandieland,

Don't be discouraged.

My changes have not been minor even at my age. My breasts are B cup and will soon go to C cup. I used to have the beginnings of terminal (coarse) hair on my chest and that hair is now vellus (fine), My skin has softened and I no longer have blackheads and whiteheads and the obnoxious male body odor is gone. Also the hair on my head has filled out. I also feel much better about myself.

I have been on M2F HRT for about 20 months.

Hope that encourages you.

Johanna

Amazing Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandieland View Post
    I am older (over 60),...desire to explore HRT (even gave some thought to starting on my own...which I haven't).
    Over 60 and experimenting rather than following Doctor's orders? Now that is a proven way to die. (I can't discuss a local case of that here, due to privacy concerns.)
    Last edited by Beth-Lock; 07-10-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Hi,

Not so much a age limit. the limit is your health & conerns you have, Im all most 66 been on meds allmost 10 years, i do my blood tests every Aug some 17 we can do , normaly about 8 i moniter myself so know what my health is like where i.v come from & where im going.

What you need to concider is where you need to go what you expect from any meds against what will happen & take place, what changes you can realisticly can see take place. the older you are the less the changes will be, & some meds will not work its trail & error & some will to a point. that will depend on a number of factors your body its makeup & if or what health issues you have & meds or drugs youv taken or are still takeing .& if you have health issues what meds you are on now,

With out knowing any detail about you look at it this way if your young say 14 to 18 meds should work allmost 90 %. now say age over 55 through 70 think 20 % to maybe 30 % , my changes though i have some advantages works at about 25 %...age 55 to 66. okay its only a rough guide & because each person is different the results will be as well.

This is about breasts , skin , maybe body fat again depends on the person thier body in how it functons or uses the meds, or not, your weight has a bearing as well. food & drink intake, & your general body fitness , & theres a lot more that needs to be looked at as well.

go see your G P then a Psych then a Endo, get the letters to cover you as you see each one . one ? i have is whats the motivatson for going on meds .
    Iv been around meds to many years to know what they can do. so be damm carefull.

...noeleena...

I replied but deleted it. I think I'll just avoid HRT threads now for my own mental health.

A doctor can best determine if it is safe for you. I would go with that.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?