Thread: An Opportunity and I'm not sure if I'm up to it

An Opportunity and I'm not sure if I'm up to it

My friend owns a woman's clothing store and we're supposed to go into NYC next week to hit the wholesale jewelry and accessory stores to pick up some inventory.
    She obviously knows and has seen Nikki and says that however I want to dress is fine by her. We would be taking the commuter bus in and back.
    While I've been out and I'm looking forward to the outing, a part of me is hesitant. No. 1: It's going to be hot as heck in the middle of July and a wig will be unbearable. Plus it will wreak havoc on what ever make-up I put on since we will be doing alot of walking outside.
    No. 2: I'm nervous for some reason about being that far from home (2 hrs) and not having a car.
    Am I being reasonable or is it a fear of something different?

Just one of the Girls 4mymichelle's Avatar
    Hi Nikki,

I can understand your concerns. I think it is more about the security of being farther away from home and not having things readily available as you normally would (ie car). The question I have is have you been on this route before? If so you know more what to expect. If not then it is a big adventure with unknowns that cause you this fear. The only advice I can give is always safety first.

Take care,
    Michelle

I did a similar shopping day in Denver (with two wonderful members of this group) a few years ago, spent the whole weekend as Nikki. Had a great time, but I was really far from home.
    Thinking about it I did survive that day and it was awfully hot and we did the 16th street "mall" all 10 blocks of it.

You brought up some points that were the same that recently made me decide to start growing my hair out. I would still wear a wig when I can, but since I live in a very hot climate, this is very uncomfortable in the summer. So... I thought "why not grow my hair long enough to comb back when I'm in drab, but long enough to style in a cute pixie cut for the summer. Give me another couple of months and I'll try to post some pictures so you all can weigh in as to whether I was successful. Meanwhile, Nikki... have fun!

The old saying comes to mind," nothing ventured, nothing gained". Sounds like a wonderful outing but if you're uncomfortable then you wouldn't enjoy it. Follow you're heart!
    Link to my flickr photostream:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kandybarr

Wow, I certainly don't know what I would do. The likelihood is that I'd go en drab, because I can't take the heat. Distance from home isn't as much of a factor. When I go out en femme, I am at least an hour away from home and usually two hours away. That being said, I do have my car and a change of clothes. I'd do it en femme in a heartbeat in the cooler weather, however.

I'm with Lisa on this one..... I need a lot of stuff on me to look 'good' and this hot weather isn't conducive to being my true self. I suppose if I dropped 50 lbs had BA and been on hrt for years with my hair grown out, I'd go in a spring dress and sandals with a touch of makeup. Since I'm not that far yet, I'd go in drab with shorts a polo shirt and sneakers... don't forget the sunscreen..

Renne.....

Only You can Decide

Only you can decide if it is worth it.

My experience is that it can get hot. I was out 10 days ago in the Baton Rouge area visiting a plantation, out in the heat for over an hour....and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

You may melt easier than I but I say if you want to do it, you'll find a way.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Hmmmm...what would a GG do? You all want to play the game but you don't want to play by the same rules. GGs ride that bus and I would bet some wear wigs (medical or fashion reasons). They wear makeup (a commuter bus? They all have makeup on). The women shopping the sites for inventory would be dressed up most likely also. And who drives a car in NYC? Have you seen the parking prices?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Unless I turn out to be useless, I'm sure this won't be the last time I go with her (she is my e-bay partner). When I see her tomorrow I'll ask her again if she has a preference. Worst comes to worst I'll ponytail the wig or see if Salvo still has the pixie cut wig for sale. Or I'll just do it the next time if Monday will be unbearably hot, we'll end up making a decision on Sunday at the worst.
    I feel Nikki needs the day out and I'm sure we'll have fun either way.

Platinum Member
    Fears are natural...that's how we prepare ourselves for possible dangers. The question is really whether the risks are real or not. Honestly, I don't think so. I live in Houston...and yes it's stifling hot at times, but my wig stay on! I compensate with lighter cotton and linen tops or summery dresses to stay cool. As for melting make up, bring along a compact with some powder and a little concealer. Take a moment to touch up if needed.

The separation anxiety...being apart from your car...again, a needless concern. If something happens, you can always call a cab. But nothing will happen and you'll have a great day!

Aspiring Member
    It is not quite so hot in Scotland, but still too hot for a wig. I am thinking of having a walk on the beach, with a nice straw hat instead of a wig. It might seem a bit odd on the bus - but it's New York - odd is fine.

just live in the moment and get some water proof make up

The heat is certainly an issue so only you can decide if you can take it. Another concern is; How long will you be out and away from home? Will you have to shave and reapply your makeup or can you go that long without shaving? Have you been out this long before? Have you done this enough that you won't forget something?

Will you being "dressed" affect your friend's business dealings or be a distraction?

As for your fear, only you know how well you do in these situations. My experience (little) or someone else's (perhaps a lot) won't help you to decide.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Silver Member
    As far as makeup goes, unlike GGs, she may need cover makeup to hide her beard, which might melt off in the heat.

I'd go en drab this time, and go again another time when the weather is cooler. I don't dress with a wig in this heat either, it is not fun to sweat to death.

I would do it just for the experience.
    Chickie

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    change when you get there?

If I had that opportunity, I would take it Nikki.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

How fun Nikki. Two girls shopping for new inventory. I'm jealous. Daviolin You better go, or I will be mad at you.
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

Well we discussed it and we decided that unless its going to be horribly hot I'm silly for worrying about it. After all it is NYC and what is the problem even if someone does read me. SO I guess Nikki makes her NYC debut. "If you can make it there you'll make it anywhere NY NY"

You are thinking up too many excuses.
    Take a change of clothes if necessary.
    In case you have an accident wear clean underwear.

Just go and enjoy the opportunity.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Platinum Member
    Hi Nikki, What are you waiting for pack your bag and go , If you don't want to go let me know I'll go with your friend.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Why don't you drive to Jersey City NJ, park and take the train to NYC, that way you don't have to sit on a bus for 2 hours and you can take supplies with you. And believe me, you won't stand out in the City.