Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else decided to grow their hair out and ditch the wig?

Has anyone else decided to grow their hair out and ditch the wig?

Recently I decided to grow my hair out. It's a little thin at the crown, but still healthy and thick on the rest of my head. And I think once it's grown out, with the right styling it will look great. Of course, that means I'll have to start learning how to style my hair...something my life as a boy just didn't prepare me for. For some reason my mom taught me how to cook and sew, but not to style hair... go figure. How do you use a curling iron, rollers, etc.? I know I'll have a whole new set of challenges, but if it works out... summer won't be the problem it always is with a wig. Maybe a nice Pixi cut? I'm going nuts looking at hairdos! Anyone else doing this (I can tell from your pictures that some of you have incredible, natural hair).

Note to moderator: Sometimes I'm not sure which thread to post to. If this should be in Beauty, I would understand. But this is something I feel might be of more general interest than that.
    Last edited by Sandieland; 07-12-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Not sure of which thread to post to.

I did for about 7-8 years until recently I cut it really short again. I used to have kind of a bob haircut that I could comb it back with pomade (in male mode) and no one could tell I had a girl's cut. I hate trying to style my hair and could never use a flat iron with any success. Just gotta practice at it. Practice makes perfect.

And if your hair gets long enough, you can try pigtails/handlebars, pony tail, clips, bows, barrettes, bands, wraps, etc.

I didn't have a picture of myself handy but this is basically the hairstyle I had for awhile:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dragdoll; 07-12-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Been growing mine out for a year and a half and learning to style it with hot rollers.Curling irons are too hot for my fine hair,tends to burn it.
    I plan on cutting it in a more femme style but just pulling it back in guy mode.

Started to grow my hair out about 6 years ago specifically because I didn't want to wear a wig anymore. Now my hair is down to the middle of my back and I love it.
    I didn't really care what other people who did not know I was tg think. Now it is just another part of me that is consistent with how I wish to identify. I am still learning how to style it myself and have a gg friend who loves to help me with it. I am getting ready to do my hair for a night out with friends.

Enjoy and take pics to document it along the way.
    Why is it everyone expects us to explain to them who we are? Isn't it enough of a privilege for them to have us in the world?

Dragdoll, that example you posted is SO cute! And it looks easy to convert to drab when needed.
    Tracii, I would love to see you in a cute ponytail with bangs... so Archie comics. You would be darling - not to say you are not already - in fact, you're beautiful! You would look so cute no matter what your hair style is.
    And Rachel, your hair looks so luxurious. I bet with a full set of curls and a hot LBD you can make the heads turn when you step out.
    I am so PSYCHED!!! Let's see...hair grows 1/2 inch a month - I need another 2 inches (about)...maybe 1 1/2...not too long.
    You know, that makes me wonder why, if the hair on our head grows so slowly - why does our chest hair and face hair grow so much faster? It's just not fair! Phooey!

Too late for me Male Pattern Baldness has set in .. if I want to take a femme portrait, it's gonna have to be a wig, dammit ..
    It's complicated, then again it's simple ... where did I put that skirt?

I'm kind of the other way round than everyone else because I've always had long hair anyway, and just recently have I started using wigs so that I can more easily have a feminine cut (such as in my current avatar) to hide my very masculine brow line. When I get my natural hair right though it is much better than a wig, just very hard to get it to stay quite right all day. Here's probably the best photo of me using my natural hair though: http://xdressed.deviantart.com/art/N...ir-2-370787432
    Bi-Gendered, Goth/Metal Fan, Atheist, Artist and British

I'm what you see in my avatar.

Had to cut it a couple months ago for a family ordeal. Letting it go/grow now. I have a full head of hair but it's coarse and bushy, and wavy. It's a b!tch to take care of, but no one said it was easy to be beautiful!

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    I'm what you see in my avatar.
    Me, too! 9" heading to 12".
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

I'm blessed to still have a good full head of hair. I've been growing it out slowly. My job doesn't allow me to have it as long as I like, but I'm pushing that boundary...
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

i wish i could but my hair doesnt want to grow that long, it seems to reach a point and then stops, im only 24 come on hair growwwwwwww haha

Here's my hair on April 19, 2013 and April 20, 2013 respectively...any questions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I happened to get a job a few years ago that allowed me to grow my hair out. I love having my hair long. I only have 2 wigs but I rarely use them now.

Sejd
    I grew my hair out and tried different styles, but it never looked quite perfect. After 5 years of trying to get it right I finally cut it all short and went for the wigs. I buy natural human hair wigs and love them. They look really great and you can get a good quality wig for around $ 200. Not bad if you want the natural look.

I've never worn a wig. My attitude is that if girls can do it with their hair, so can I.

I also have had long hair most of my adult life anyway, so it's not like it's something I have to do right now, because it was already long before.

I've kept my hair long for going on 27 years. My employer doesn't care, just show up on time.

Really took bad care of it at first. But as I've grown to embrace my feminine self, I learned the secrets of taking care of it.

Can see the point of a wig, instant karma so to speak.

Betty

Do to a recent job change I have gone about a year and half with out a hair cut minus one trip to the salon for a trim
    I would say go for it. If you can.... funny thing me and my wife have a joke about having long hair we call it #long hair problems.

Been growing mine out for a while now. It kept getting split ends and breakage. Since the last trim of the dead ends I've been using a better conditioner and it's growing nice and healthy now another 4"-6" and I'll be there. Humm maybe 8"???

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    Here's my hair on April 19, 2013 and April 20, 2013 respectively...any questions?
    No questions, lovely hair dear.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I do add 24 in extensions sometimes if I want super long hair.

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    I can only dream! Male pattern baldness inherited from my maternal grandfather has been devastating.... Without wigs I would be in serious trouble.....

PS How I envy you girls who can grow your hair out...you all look wonderful!

Mine's thinning. So much that a GG with my hair WOULD wear a wig.

Luckily, my bff who's suffering a second bout of cancer has wigs leftover from her first bout, and she's offered them to me. For her second bout, she doesn't think she'll bother (and her hair isn't falling out this time, different chemos).

I love her. But I'm not in a hurry to acquire her wigs because we have quite different tastes in hair. I need to actually look at them.

I have long hair. However, I've just ordered my first wig ever (from eBay) just to see how I look with a much more obviously female style.

Gold Member
    As soon as I started dressing, I grew my hair out. I did get one wig in the beginning and it was a horrible choice. It is a lot more to learn and I am appalled out how I mistreated my hair when it was short. The bad choices come to light when it has length. I am a little thin across the top and the hairline isn't what it used to be. But if you style it right, it isn't a problem. And women have high hair lines and thin scalps too, it just isn't as common.