Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else decided to grow their hair out and ditch the wig?

sad at my age i would love to just have hair grow on my head.
    it is way too thin and just not in some place anymore.

now why could the facial and body hair not be the same way? if it would then i could learn quickly to love a wig in 100F heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    Here's my hair on April 19, 2013 and April 20, 2013 respectively...any questions?
    Hi Sara Jessica, did you get that beautiful head of hair cut back into a man's style or did you opt for a cute woman's wedge cut or something the like?

I have no choice but to wear wigs.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Kinda weird how we try so hard. We shave our arms, legs and other non mentionable parts. Yet we struggle to grow a flowing head of hair. I have kept my hair short for the last 25 yrs but am attempting to figure out now how to transition from a boy haircut into a unisex style without drawing too much attention. As if shaved legs, manicured fingernails and now both ears pierced isnt some giveaway. I too would luv to dump the wigs. I am having a hard time finding a qaulity one in a style that suits me. Also wearing a wig just makes me feel like I am faking who I really am.
    Erica

I have experimented on occasions but a wig is more convenient than having long hair all the time.
    I have an image to live up to.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I am retired and have no need to worry about what some boss may say. At this time my hair goes down to the middle of my back and when it is hot it is always in some sort of pony tail. When free it has some rather nice natural waves.

But as I was growing up it seems my parents took me to the barber every 2 weeks and the hair he cut off was not very long in the first place.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

I haven't cut my hair since I retired 4+ years ago. There is nothing "feminine" about it at all. I think it has more of a crazed mountain man effect than anything else. Children grab their mother's leg when I walk by. I like to go out wearing a ponytail with a pink scrunchy. People think I'm being ironic.

Recently retired and letting it grow. Had to get a nail salon gift certificate recently, and the worker commented that she could do wonders for my hair and looked at my nails and commented stop by and ill fix you up.. I was in drab at the time. I will go back and take up the offer.

Haven't cut mine since May 2011. I did have my ends trimmed at Christmas. I wear it in a pony tail at work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ​Cindy

Since I'm now retired, my plan is to let it grow as long as I can and when I'm in boy mode, pull it into a ponytail and go around making the "peace" sign a lot. Maybe get an old Army jacket and the picture is perfect...lol

mine hasn't been cut in over 20 years. At Y2K it was, at the base of the neck, a 2" diameter rope that I had to move when I sat down (braided). Yes I got headaches. I know exactly how Crystal Gale felt. Now, its about an inch thick and makes it just past my bra strap (braided). The thing that is easier now is doing something with it other than a braid.

Quote Originally Posted by Leona View Post
    I've never worn a wig. My attitude is that if girls can do it with their hair, so can I.
    I couldn't agree more! If I am going to have long hair it's going to be my own.

Quote Originally Posted by steftoday View Post
    I'm blessed to still have a good full head of hair. I've been growing it out slowly. My job doesn't allow me to have it as long as I like, but I'm pushing that boundary...
    LOL I solved that problem by retiring form the Navy. My current job may not be that thrilled about it but so far haven't tried to tell me I can't grow it out. It's coming along slowly and we'll see where it goes from here!
    Last edited by Jason+; 07-13-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Other than the years I spent in sales, I have always worn long hair. Once every few years I would donate my pony tail and start over. I should get a huge discount in wigs now that I think about it. Heh. At this point there is very little of my own hair left. If only I accepted this In myself thirty years ago. What a hottie I could have been.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

My own hair is actually longer than the wigs I use, but it's very grey and I'm quite thin on top. My wife tells me I look younger with the wigs.

Been growing mine out for about 3 years now, but I think I am fighting a losing battle with it, I'm losing it faster than I can grow it. Love having long hair, it is kind of a pain to deal with at times, but thats the price we pay sometimes. Go for it!!

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Launa View Post
    Hi Sara Jessica, did you get that beautiful head of hair cut back into a man's style or did you opt for a cute woman's wedge cut or something the like?
    Funny thing is that it was cut into a "cute women's wedge cut or something like that" and it's decidedly more feminine than the long hair was. And even more surprising is that I'm getting less grief. I haven't posted any picture threads lately but there is a shot or two in the special events section.

The overwhelming opinion seems to be that people like my short hair look better (more feminine, younger looking, cuter, etc). I'll go with that but I'm still learning how best to style it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Andrews View Post
    Haven't cut mine since May 2011. I did have my ends trimmed at Christmas.
    Your hair will actually look healthier if you get the ends trimmed more often. I don't recall the recommended interval but I used to go every couple months or so.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Last time I had short hair was 2002, and I was only 14 years old. Growing it long had nothing to do with gender though, it was about the music culture I identified with.

Currently I'm rocking dreadlocks. Since I started my dreads three years ago (as of next week actually) and only finally accepted my trans-ness earlier this year, I've never had an oppurtunity to wear wigs. Seriously, you can barely even fit a bike helmet over dreads, wigs are right out of the question!
    Last edited by AshleyW; 07-14-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    "Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales"
    You can read my blog if you like, or peruse my photos if you feel like it.

Silver Member
    Wigs are easy and offer immediate color and style change. But my wife just suggested that I grow my hair long. After years of weekly buzz haircuts, I have not had my hair cut in about 2 months. I think she prefers real hair and looks forward to styling it. She has already done some short spikey styling. I guess I will wear experiment and maybe wear a pony tail when not dressed. She also insisted that I finally get my ears pierced. She even threatened to pierce them herself. If I don't get them done soon, I am going to wake up with them pierced. She does keep my crossdressing life exciting

My hair is now very long, but I usually still wear a wig.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I don't wear wigs... Too hot. Besides, like someone said before, a wig is hiding the real me. However, I did buy an 'attachment' of sorts that matches my own hair. It's kind of a ponytail, just clips right on. Gonna wear that until my hair grows out some more. And I've been told that it looks like my natural hair. So, I'm good.
    Change is inevitable...

I too am letting it grow. It's a big change from the buzzed cut of the last few years. I'm going for a short to mid length style like this:

http://www.short-haircut.com/wp-cont...e-haircuts.jpg

i have wigs, but never wear them. my hair has always been long. one of the few true femme qualities i have
    paula

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    My hair is long and curly, and thin and going gray where there is hair. Like so many others here I suffer from Male Pattern Sunburn so I have wigs to wear when I go out. But around the house I'm happy to let my own hair curl around my earrings and fall on my shoulders. A wig actually can help me look younger and much more feminine and I need all the help I can get, believe me.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

never wanted a wig, too much trouble and $$$, so about 2001 or so i decided to not get it cut anymore... it would be longer but there were about 5-6 years when I didn't take very good care of it, just started taking better care of it this year and already there has been an improvement... at least some of the girls are jealous, now I just need some cute hair jewelry...

It's really no problem at all to take care of it (despite what people may think) - 4-5 min /day brushing, and wash 1-2x/week, and i can put it up in 10 seconds or less when it's not behaving :P (couldn't do that when it was short heh)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    I started growing my hair out for quite some time before coming out to Sabrina, because she likes my hair long. Having it look better en femme was a nice bonus.

I wear it in a ponytail most of the time in guy mode. In my line of work, ponytails on men are almost a cliche.

I've had my hair done once, completely en femme. It was a wonderful, feminine experience, and I plan to have it done again in a few months.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

For many years I have had very long hair, pretty close to my waist. But over time it has thinned and some male pattern baldness has started, so I really don't look very feminine with it. So, I wear wigs when I go out femme. They are uncomfortable but they do look nice and it is fun to be able to wear different styles on a whim.

Michaella