Thread: There's a lot more of us than I thought

There's a lot more of us than I thought

Had an appointment with my endo today. Since all my bloodwork looked good, we had some time to chat. I asked how many TS patients he had, as my therapist said he was the go-to guy for many miles. His answer floored me. Town of 118,000 people, 25,000 of which are university students. His answer- over 100. Plus, the U students use their in house health center, so he suspects as many again using that facility. He also said the number has mushroomed. Ten years ago he had one TS patient. These numbers are skewed slightly because he deals with TS from many surrounding communities. Still, it's a lot!
    Every time I go to see him there's at least one TS in his waiting room. Nice girls too.

I suspect the number has been constant through the ages, but with the early pioneers willing to go public and with the availability of information regarding gender and the upsurge in support, a lot of the girls who would have been afraid to confront their issues and stay hidden are now willing to seek help.

Also, the number of therapists (MSW and MD) who have gender experience and physicians (endocrinology, plastic, urology) with gender specialties has simply opened doors for us.

Celeste, you also live in a country that values the health of it citizens more than the health of its insurance companies!
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

I am not surprised. Things are getting more acceptable now so more will seek the help they need. There are still a lot to scared to try.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Platinum Member
    Fascinating. I wonder how if the growth reflect greater social acceptance...so more people are seeking help?

yes I agree many of us out there just look here. times have changed and think ts people are more open to coming out took me 40 years so think about it know many 22 to 30 year olds wish I would have came out at that age.

An Italian article cited a figure: 5 in 100.000 are TS.

Moreover FtM statistics are underestimated because GG "pass" better as males than GM as females so many FtM TS
    simply go unnoticed. I have some female friends that are so masculine that could pass as men also without hormones.

Regarding the incidence of TS during the ages I suppose that Genetic causes of TS have remained the same.
    But if we allow some "cultural" influence in TS, that is an "after-birth" cause (or co-cause) then I suppose
    that the percentage is lightly increasing.

But this is only a speculation. For example female and male roles are a bit blended in Western countries.

Then there could be other "collateral" factors, for example female hormones in food, etc... if these are not
    the main causes of TS they may give some lateral "inertia", that is increasing the side wings of the TG umbrella
    with more effeminate men (not purely TS but not purely masculine).

5 in 100,000 .....I think is a low estimate. Very low.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Hi,

We dont have a good record system nore likely to . because many are still underground, & for us intersexed,
    we have about 10,000 that are known about . yet there are many more who dont know nore had scans or any checks nore will unless something else comes up . what we were trying to find out was wether drugs taken back in the late 1940's through to the 70's had a major impact on us while in the womb . again what info we have is only through the impending courts case's in Germany. or some media that has taken up the case's.

drugs meds all synthic do have a bearing on us & in our case's pretty bad news.

...noeleena...

My therapist said intersex, and genetic anomalies are skyrocketing. Environmental? Don't know where she gets her info.
    I looked at a map of my surrounding area, and my endo is probably serving a population of about 350,000, but that's still a higher % than generally published. My biggest question, because it is so important to the TS community, is that- Is better access to TG care, and fewer social stigmas, lowering the suicide rate? Knowing how many of us there are is comforting, but the suicide, and attempted suicide rate is a real issue.

This very issue was discussed with my therapist today....I would venture to say we are close to 0.5-1% of the population to some degree, give or take....not common but certainly not rare by any means....

I think a lot more of us have been able to come out even if it's only a little bit. Personally I think the number is probably consistent throughout the years but more of us are getting help and becoming more vocal. That wouldn't have been the case in years past.

margo