Thread: A good week

Platinum Member

A good week

I've enjoyed a couple of new experiences this week. First, I recently purchased three sleeveless dresses and, with the summer heat fully upon us, I've ventured out several times wearing them. In short, I've overcome my phobia about my shoulders.

On Thursday, I had dinner at a nice restaurant with a close GG friend, and wore one dress, a strappy, tiered ivory dress with a light floral print in pastel and irregular hem line. Before we met up, I browsed a couple of shops and found a cute blue tie dyed halter dress, about knee length...love it! Had a great time visiting with the SAs as I killed time. Had an even better time visiting with my friend, even though she knew me as a male until only recently...now we are really just like girlfriends. The waitstaff was courteous and referred to us as ladies and called me ma'am repeatedly.

Yesterday another first. I wore a floral print maxi...intense primary colors...on my afternoon errands including getting an oil change and wash. I thought I looked presentable and was pleasantly surprised by how courteously the male staff treated me. If they knew I was a BM, they politely kept it to themselves, and I never saw one member of the garage crew look askance or stare. I may not have been passing, but I will take it as close enough!

Then I stopped at the local Kroger to pick up supper. It was very busy, which in my view is the best time to blend in. One simply can get lost in the crowd. I got my things and at the check out, the young female cashier didn't react at all, just said, 'Miss, do you have a Kroger card?"

Overall, I feel as though the practice, positive experiences and growing self confidence are paying dividends. I may not pass, but I feel, more than ever, that I in the community where I live, i am a woman. And I can't fully express how good it feels to say that....I even said it aloud.

awesome!!! Glad to hear about your wonderful week! Would love to see pics of the dresses!

Someone is sure getting out a lot ? What's next ? You Sly Devil ,,,

Just too cool! Hugs, Michelle

Kim, What a wonderful affirmation of yourself! The real you must have shown through, and everyone seemed to have responded in kind. I used to have the worries about wearing sleeveless dresses and tops, but you're right, if people notice it doesn't seem to matter. (Here in Florida sleeveless is definately in.)

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Overall, I feel as though the practice, positive experiences and growing self confidence are paying dividends. I may not pass, but I feel, more than ever, that I in the community where I live, i am a woman. And I can't fully express how good it feels to say that....I even said it aloud.
    YES IT DOES!! I look forward to doing more of the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Kim, if you are the blend in type I am sure people do not take a great deal of notice, as you saidblend in and get lost in the crowd at busy times.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

You go Kim girl. MUAH !
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I just love happy stories

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

Platinum Member
    With all the difficulties and disappointments recited here on a dally basis, it is nice to have some positive experiences to share.

I spent the afternoon viewing exhibits at the Menil Collection here in Houston, the did a little shopping. Afterward I tried an experiment. I went to a Mexican restaurant I used to frequent I male mode. I knew the staff by name. I had a meal, the sat at the bar and enjoyed several margaritas. No one recognized me.

I was certainly different in appearance, it still me a bit surprised that no one had even a moment of recognition.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 07-14-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Typo

I've said thIs before in response to other threads. Passing is a state of mind, if you were treated as the woman you portrayed, and you feel good about yourself, you passed.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

I have found that most are just too busy to take the time to even think about whether or not you are one or the other. You look like a lady on first glance that is all they have time for. Even if they do notice something and wonder, it is only for a second and then it is on to other things. I have not had any reactions at all from others, at least not yet.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Glad you had a wonderful week. Way back when, I used to only go out the odd weekend, and mostly to a gay area, I used to obsess about every little detail (including my shoulders). As I went out more, I realized a) live with what you got. b) Nobody's looking c) There's a lot of really funny looking GG's out there.
    By the time I went full time, I just do my best, and live life. For age/body type, there's two things I can't wear- Tube/strapless tops, and short shorts.
    Florals and big prints can disguise a multitude of sins.
    Isn't it amazing, that after all the agony about it, when you discover that no one cares what you do or don't have under your dress?

Hi Kim, That's great news! I'm very happy for you and hope for more good weeks ahead!
    Stephanie

Platinum Member
    Hi Kim, That sounds like that you are doing something right, Just being one of the girls.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Definitely sounds like a good week for you.
    Also sounds like your makeup skills are perfected pretty well.

I am glad you had a good week.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Platinum Member
    Thanks everyone, for the nice comments.

Celeste, you are so right. Especially those first times...and for me there are still a few 'firsts' left, I still take pains to present as well as I can, even though most people simply don't care. And you're right, floral prints cover a multitude of sins!

Oh, take all the pains you want, just don't fret over things you can't change.

That is great Kim! It is all about us being who we are!

Glad that you had a nice week too sista!

Deb
    Debby

Gold Member
    Very nice week Kim. It seems you are stretching out very well. I think that some of us can just run out and do it and others have to break barriers one at a time. It seems you are doing very well. A garage for an oil change...hmmm.... Something in the future for me. That would seem like a tough one so I can only say one thing. Very nice!

Platinum Member
    the garage is one my wife uses for washes and interior cleaning. has a nice little shop with lotions, fragrances, candles and cards, plus a very comfy waiting area. so the oil change wasn't too difficult a stretch.

time has lately been the biggest barrier, lately. not sure how to overcome that one