Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gender therapy appt. revelation....

Gender therapy appt. revelation....

So today, while discussing my transgender life, my therapist point blank said, "If your life circumstances were different, you would probably be on HRT." After a long pause, from me, of course, I said, "I just don't know." I have been seeing her for one year now, and it's become obvious to her and me that my needs are way beyond just dressing up.

Therapy sure is revealing......

Yep, Melissa, it is.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

I think sometimes we need them to say "How could you not know" how could we not know what we need and should to be doing.

margo

I think it is a standard question. I was asked if my situation was different....the things I am so afraid of...would you have the srs surgery? This is a way for him to feel out how you really see things without the filter of all the things that block your decision.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Just my two cents. About SRS, 'I don't know' is a reasonable answer. About HRT, if you don't say 'YES' give it to me now or I'll chew a hole in your door, I'm THAT desperate', then you probably don't need it.
    We're all different, but I think HRT is a make it or break it last straw.

Indeed, I was reading an FAQ on the subject that said that HRT is given in diagnosing GD. If it has the calming/relaxing effect, then it's continued. If not, then you don't need it. I'm curious enough about it, though, because I definitely feel like if my life circumstances had been different, I'd have started transitioning when I was 18-22.

I can certainly help us to see things we could not or would not recognize.

Good luck!

Platinum Member
    So Melissa, does this revelation lead you to consider any changes in the path you're on?

I'm not clear.
    1) Did therapist suggest HT? or Did you raise HT?
    2) What life circumstances need to be different?
    3) How did you feel about that comment? Do you agree??
    4) You don't say much, your needs exceed what? a hot dress . . . ? How do they exceed? (if you've said in other threads or posts my apologizes for my laziness)

I do get TgirlCeleste's comment. And I pretty much agree. And I think you oughta be happy about the fact you aren't chewing holes in doors . . . . seriously happy. (is that possible or am I in oxymoron speak? its late, I could be stating the impossible)
    Hugs,
    'lissa

"The second life isn't like the first one, is it?"
    "Sometimes, it's even better."
    ~ Elektra Natchios & Stick, Elektra (Movie) 2005, R. Metzner, S. Zicherman, Z. Penn

Quote Originally Posted by tgirlceleste View Post
    Just my two cents. About SRS, 'I don't know' is a reasonable answer. About HRT, if you don't say 'YES' give it to me now or I'll chew a hole in your door, I'm THAT desperate', then you probably don't need it.
    We're all different, but I think HRT is a make it or break it last straw.
    Sorry But I have to use your statement to make my point also ,,lol,,, You RIGHT on the H.R.T that's for sure ,,100% ,, I was trying to stay calm at the therapist an not Blow a Fuse ,, I just acted like it will all come in time ,, But inside I was about to Blow Up !!

So I just patently waited an acted all cool an it came an it was all over with ,, But the letter an the Doctor visit was the worst thing I have ever waited for !! Took FOREVER ,, But I guess good things are worth waiting for .

As for the surgery ,, That will come after the meds come in to play I guess ,, I myself don't give it much thought being so happy with the other right now .

Yes I found it revealing too Melissa. Therapy brought back the past that I had buried so well. The interesting part is that most of the people that need HRT question it and carefully decide. Then there are the ones that want it as a designer drug just for boobs and just to try and look girlie.

If you want to have boobs and look girly, use forms. HRT does things to us chemically that would not otherwise happen. Physical changes are a crapshoot and what breast growth most of us get is lost by our large chests. The mental benefits and subtle rewiring of our brains is the greatest benefit I am receiving from HRT.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Thank you for the responses. If my life was different, I would probably start HRT, BUT, and it is a big BUT, it would create a host of problems for me....BUT my counselor agrees that I am most likely TS, so am I compromising my future or just delaying an inevitable process? Yes, without the filter of realities of my male life, I would probably go down the road, but my GD, so far, hasn't gotten me to any sort of point of no return....

I hope it never does get to that point for you.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I am hoping that as well, and I told my counselor I actually like the 'male' person I have become even though I wished things were far, far different...
    Last edited by Nigella; 07-14-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Please read the rules, rights of content, quoting

"If things were different...?"

That is for me, and apparently a lot of us, the real question.

"If things were different...?"
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Married with a 3 1/2 year old and a medical professional....in a conservative area....

Quote Originally Posted by stefan37 View Post
    The mental benefits and subtle rewiring of our brains is the greatest benefit I am receiving from HRT.
    Same here.

My wife even says I have adopted feminine gestures and movements even though I have not made any effort to move like a genetic woman.

Johanna
    Last edited by JohnH; 07-14-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by melissakozak View Post
    so am I compromising my future or just delaying an inevitable process?
    As long as you are not feeling that burning need/desire/I have to do it I can't get it out of my head/it is taking over my life, feelings to be a woman, you should be all right. As long as what you are doing to control the GD is working, you should be ok.
    Last edited by Jorja; 07-14-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melissakozak View Post
    ....BUT my counselor agrees that I am most likely TS, so am I compromising my future or just delaying an inevitable process?
    When you're ready, you'll know. There won't be so many questions.

Beware of therapists who lead you. You should be coming to your own conclusions.

In past posts you mentioned two-spirit and bigendered. Like Jorja says, there's nothing wrong with living a gender fluid life until such time as all your questions and doubts are removed.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by JohannaH View Post
    My wife even says I have adopted feminine gestures and movements even though I have not made any effort to move like a genetic woman.
    WHAT!?

The hormones are making you act like a girl? Is that what you're saying? Because you know that's impossible right?
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

@ Misty, Johanna is having remarkable results that the rest of us can only hope for.

I'd be careful about ANY idea that begins.."if things were different...." or "if my circumstances were different..."
    Nothing good will come of it. It is a recipe for conflict in your life

to mistys point..
    ..when I started HRT my wrists started flouncing around uncontrollably, it was very embarrassing...I also started twirling my hair around while chewing and popping bubblegum looking up at the sky...I also found that I was often skipping instead of walking.
    ummmmmmmm........

Silver Member
    Kaitlyn, living in the here and now has been one of the hardest things I've had to learn, bar none. Probably worth its own thread.
    Lea

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    to mistys point..
    ..when I started HRT my wrists started flouncing around uncontrollably, it was very embarrassing...I also started twirling my hair around while chewing and popping bubblegum looking up at the sky...I also found that I was often skipping instead of walking.
    ummmmmmmm........

That was a total spit-take LMFAO read!!