Thread: Visiting Lafayette, LA

Visiting Lafayette, LA

Does any one know of friendly places in Lafayette, LA. I will be visiting the area this week.

Hi Dee: I am a NOLA native but sadly I have little experience in Lafayette. I had read some articles in the past that there are some gay bars there were thriving post-Katrina when a lot of folks from the NOLA area went there to celebrate a sort of Southern Decadence (an LGBT festival held in NOLA on Labor Day weekend) in exile.
    Lafayette is sort of a mid-sized city; I don't know how LGBT friendly it is.
    I can tell you that if you don't mind making the (approx) 2 hour or so drive to New Orleans that there are lots of options there.
    Best of luck to you and have a safe trip.

Tonix and Bolt are great places to visit in Lafayette. I had a great time out while there this week.

Well I know I'm late on this but.. I hope you ate at Prejean's while you were there

Don't they feed Trans people to the gators down there anymore? What happened to the reputation the south had, their getting down right Genteel down there!
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Banned Read only
    Just to set the mood...

That Was Your Mother
    (written & sung by Paul Simon)

A long time ago, yeah
    Before you was born, dude
    When I was still single
    And life was great
    I held this job as a traveling salesman
    That kept me moving from state to state

Well, I’m standing on the corner of Lafayette
    State of Louisiana
    Wondering where a city boy could go
    To get a little conversation
    Drink a little red wine
    Catch a little bit of those Cajun girls
    Dancing to Zydeco

Along came a young girl
    She’s pretty as a prayer book
    Sweet as an apple on Christmas day
    I said, “Good gracious can this be my luck?
    If that’s my prayer book
    Lord, let us pray”

Well I’m standing on the corner of Lafayette
    State of Louisiana
    Wondering what a city boy could do
    To get her in a conversation
    Drink a little red wine
    Dance to the music of Clifton Chenier
    The King of the Bayou
    ‘Ei-toi!

Well, that was your mother
    And that was your father
    Before you was born dude
    When life was great
    You are the burden of my generation
    I sure do love you
    But let’s get that straight

Well, I’m standing on the corner of Lafayette
    Across the street from The Public
    Heading down to the Lone Star Café
    Maybe get a little conversation
    Drink a little red wine
    Standing in the shadow of Clifton Chenier
    Dancing the night away

I don't know about Lafayette, but let me warn you that any man who displays unorthodox gender behavior in the Greater Baton Rouge Area IS TAKING HIS LIFE IN HIS HANDS. These people are worse than the Taliban when it comes to any form of MTF TG. Some examples:

An "out" science teacher (and prominent member of the local Little Theatre) was taken across the river to a cane field and shot execution style by a couple of thugs who told cops later "he looked at us the wrong way".

A STRAIGHT physician was forced to leave Baton Rouge when leaders of the Parish Medical Society started the false rumor he'd divorced his wife to live with another man (certain members of the Medical Society wanted the doc's share of a local imaging center and only wanted to pay him a fraction of what it's worth).

A high school kid who was a "late bloomer" puberty wise was beaten nearly to death by members of a local high school football team. When asked for his comment, the high school's principal, remarked, "These are red blooded American boys. It's just natural to act like that when they see a faggot".

I really don't think attitudes in Lafayette are that much different. I'd be VERY VERY careful anywhere within Louisiana (except possibly New Orleans).
    Last edited by Rachel E Lee; 07-21-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel E Lee View Post
    I don't know about Lafayette, but let me warn you that any man who displays unorthodox gender behavior in the Greater Baton Rouge Area IS TAKING HIS LIFE IN HIS HANDS. These people are worse than the Taliban when it comes to any form of MTF TG. Some examples:
    I think I might have a bit of a problem. I'm supposed to spend a week in Baton Rouge LA for training. The problem is that I'm TS, in transition, usually pass pretty well as an older woman, and have trouble passing as a man anymore. My Driver's license, credit cards, and travel documents still have my male name on them.

Not sure what to do.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

I grew up in New Iberia which is a little one high school town about 30 minutes south of Lafayette.

I've been there many times because that was the closest mall and it was like the big city compared to my rural route existence. I have a cousin who grew up down the street who came out as gay about 15 years ago and he actually lives and runs a business in Lafayette. He's as out as can be but he grew up like I did (sensitive souls in the midst of redneck assholes) so we're not exactly intimidated by bullies.

Louisiana in general is not a friendly place to anyone that doesn't pass for a straight dude. Everybody I knew from high school who was a little different be they artists or intellectuals or beat poet types including a couple of gay dudes who came out in college have ALL moved away. Alternative lifestyles are not encouraged in Cajun country.

Of course I haven't set foot in that state since 1985 or so (except for a road trip to New Orleans in the mid 90's) so things could be better. I wouldn't bet my life on it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    Don't they feed Trans people to the gators down there anymore?
    Yes. They tell you it's water skiing, but to them it's trolling for alligators.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I hope you got a bag of spicy pork rinds while you were in the area.
    Really tasty I must admit.
    There was a place between Lafayette and Fordoche I got a bag, totally awesome.

Hello Dee,
    Were you able to find a friendly community in Lafayette? I will be traveling there as well in December and was considering moving to Lafayette.
    Thanks for the help.
    A

If your that close at least go to new Orleans for at least one night.

Regarding Melissa's comments.
    I don't think NOL or Louisiana for that matter is a place for me wearing dresses.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Lived in louisiana my whole life. I've always felt the attitude down here was pretty typical of the general public. I'm still not technically not open about my cding so maybe that says something... but I did meet the queen of new orleans one time and she was a dude so it cant be that bad.

I lived in New Orleans for 11 years and found it to be incredibly accepting of alternative lifestyles. My SO, whose first husband was Cajun, says she thinks you'd probably still get beaten up in Lafayette for cross dressing. But she does say she hasn't been there in many years. I'd take care.