Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G & L softball team

G & L softball team

A lady my wife works with is on a gay and lesbian softball team. They would like to get more men on the team especially with tournaments coming up. My wife mentioned it to me since I used to pretty good and I coached little league for several years. So my answer was "But I'm not gay". Her answer to me was "It's not like you have to prove it, besides being a crossdresser puts you in the LGBT spectrum". So I'm thinking I might just do it. My wife said just be Dana in drab, it might be fun. So my question is would this be right to do, or am I crossing some line of misrepresentation? It might be interesting since after the game they go to the LGBT bar that sponsors them.

I think you need to come clean to the manager of the team and let them know that you are not in fact Gay. Not the whole team. Just the manager or organizer. That you are a CD and that you believe you fall under the umbrella and would love to play. Heck. Go out and get a running or tennis skirt to play in, or at least offer it.

But don't lie to them by omission about how you fit on the team.

Just my $0.02
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

Just so they don't cry "foul" if you happen to use your muscles to hit a "homer" Hon. Have fun with it.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

My first trip to Hamburger Mary's we encounters three young people who were in town for a softball tournament. They were a part of a gay and lesbian team. The girl introduced herself and her boyfriend and their friend. He's straight but plays with them. You are going to form friendships here. You don't want them founded on a lie. Talk to the team manager. Get yourself a cute athletic outfit to play in and have some fun.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

I would tell them all I'm a CD and if that didn't fit their rules, to hell with them and their rules. If I wanted to play, that is. Softball isn't really my sport, though. But if I had friends already on a team asking me to play, I'd probably do it.

The lady my wife works with is also a friend of ours, so she knows I'm straight and actually asked my wife if I would be interested in playing. I would let the rest of the team know. Where my misrepresentation issue would be is with the other teams we would be playing against.

Please don't say that because you're straight you might have some kind of advantage over the 'gay kids' on the other teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dana L View Post
    The lady my wife works with is also a friend of ours, so she knows I'm straight and actually asked my wife if I would be interested in playing. I would let the rest of the team know. Where my misrepresentation issue would be is with the other teams we would be playing against.
    The question is if having a G and L team also implies having a T team. If it does, then you're in the right place. If the team is not supposed to have a straight man, then you're in the wrong place. Is there a league rule requiring only G and L players? If so, does it include T, or even B? Basically, is it actually an LGBT team, or just L and G? Because if it's just L and G, you'd be on the wrong team.

Also, maybe the L and G is merely a preference of the team, not a hard and fast rule of either the team nor the league. If that's the case, then you can join.

As for misrepresenting, if you're playing as a T, you can easily represent, depending on what the uniform rules are. If only by putting your girl name on your shirt, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    Please don't say that because you're straight you might have some kind of advantage over the 'gay kids' on the other teams.
    I was thinking the exact same thing! So Dana.Do tell us WTF you meant by that!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Rogina and Badtranny: I interpreted it as a man v woman strength advantage based on the presumption that most players in the league are women. Which completely ignores the point that women are perfectly capable of hitting homeruns and running the bases competitively, so the issue of male strength vs female weakness is again a crock of ummm, you know.

I didn't read it that way as much as she's outside the league guidelines. Not that being straight would be an advantage but definitely outside the normal parameters. /giggle there's some role reversal for ya. The indication that being straight being an advantage wasn't there. But yes a bit of a misrepresentation could be.

Talk to the team coach. Get his opinion. Your just a player right? It's not like your a ringer coming in?

Hug
    Rita

Quote Originally Posted by Leona View Post

As for misrepresenting, if you're playing as a T, you can easily represent, depending on what the uniform rules are. If only by putting your girl name on your shirt, you know.
    Your girl name on the jersey, those cute little socks with the Pom poms put your forms on. /shrug. I would stay away from shorts or skirts unless there is a no sliding rule. /nod

Hug
    Rita
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 07-15-2013 at 05:21 AM. Reason: please use the "multi-quote" button.
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

I don't belive I'd have any advantage over them. My wife's co-worker's team just dosen't have many men on their team so she asked me if I was interested in playing. So I was concerned that it would be wrong if I were to play and not actually be gay.

Yeah, I was thinking shorts or skirts might violate uniform policy, too. But if you're going to slide, you don't want bare legs, that's for sure, and even a short skirt over pants (like the skirt over shorts that's often worn by tennis players) would give extra friction, making your slides shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Grandpa View Post
    I didn't read it that way as much as she's outside the league guidelines. Not that being straight would be an advantage but definitely outside the normal parameters. /giggle there's some role reversal for ya. The indication that being straight being an advantage wasn't there. But yes a bit of a misrepresentation could be.

Talk to the team coach. Get his opinion. Your just a player right? It's not like your a ringer coming in?

Hug
    Rita
    I'm definately no ringer. I haven't played for years. I might end up getting it handed to me, who knows. Just thought it might be fun if it's not wrong.

I doubt you really have to be G or L to play in the league. Those things are more for social purposes than member criteria. I am more of a bowler and there are a lot of hetro That join GBLT leagues. Its more, as I say for the purposes of social identification rather than just saying coed softball.

You should probably ask but I doubt they will really care.

My $.02 in the till

Annette

two basic questions - can you hit the ball, can you field the ball. Yup, your in and welcome.

Having said that - isnt it interesting that there should be a sexual orientation definition for a softball team. Why isn't it just a softball team where all are welcome?

Sabrina,Most L's and G's [to use the OP's terms] aren't in the closet.So,because they have friends,they tend to play well together as there are no unspoken sexuality issues. I think the OP is safe in that they probably shower at home afterwards,so she won't be tested! lol Play on their team and they will like you for it!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Rogina,

Thats a great point - i hadnt considfered that. Of course that makes the first part of my post even more important - can you hit the ball, can you field the ball?"

A lot of social groups include membership of allies. The T-group I joined had maybe 20 members and two were allies only. In other words, not T but were supporters of the T cause. If they allow G & L allies to play you'll have no problem. Start running laps now!

My take is that you should definitely play, but as others have said be upfront about not being gay. Why do Dana in drab? How about getting a "Not Gay but Very Supportive" T-shirt? Pic is below, here is the URL: http://www.zazzle.com/not_gay_but_ve...65672312374470
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Hi Dana. I suspect what we are talking about is the difference between sex and sexuality. Perhaps the dilemma is addressed well by a sign that hangs in the local TG friendly shop "I'm transgender, not gay" . Not sure everyone will understand the nuance, but the CD's here should appreciate the subtlety.

If you play in guy dress then folks may take you for gay, if dressed enfemme, convincingly, as lesbian. Since it seems you are neither, wear what's comfortable and have fun.

Just my personal take.

Hugs, Robin

I played for a girls hockey and basket ball team in my time when I was younger.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Am I misssing something? If you were actually asked by member of the team then just do it. Obviously you want to be polite as with any established team so that you fit in with the social as well as the athletic mix.

Yes you should totally play I think it would be awesome.

Since the league probably does not have orgies after the game, I don't think sexual orientation is really the issue. However it IS probably a way for gays to meet other gays who they may have a common interest (ie softball???). To answer the question of why it is a "Gay Lesbian" league, it is no different than an over 50 league or a bar league or a intracompany league. It is a social thing. Considering that there are probably many gays playing the NFL now I don't think strength is the issue (that and the fact that most gyms have a huge gay clientele). If there are rules on uniforms, follow the rules (I always thought it was strange that women wore shorts on collegiate and semi pro softball teams). Showering??? Really??? were you ever in High School? Straight guys are the ones playing the silly sexual games... It is a shower (see gym comment above)...there are others there, I don't think you will get hit on while showering and really, no one wants to see your "junk" anyway.

You were asked to join. You weren't asked to lie about your orientation. So many here complain that the G&L don't include the "T"s in anything and when you are asked you fear the worst? Join the dang team...have fun...meet new people.

And really when you played last on any team did you ask what they do in the bedroom? Oh bad example. straight guys like to brag about that.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,