Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: transitioning is way overrated!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Inna View Post
    So I shall not attempt further Comedy here......still LOL
    Sorry Inna, Since I didn't see the "LOL" I thought otherwise. I'm glad you feel good about yourself. Plus, I don't want to see your fans disappointed. Please don't stop being funny. Too much seriousness is just so boring

At least once a day I look in the mirror and have a good laugh. Marriage uncertain, bad face days, I'm in that period where Hallmark cards, and puppies can make me cry, and I haven't grown any boobs yet. What's not to laugh at?

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    It was well written, Inna, and did get a chuckle, but at times even a chuckle does not overcome the mental gymnastics we are going through.

Still, for many of us, wouldn't it be nice to be overrated?

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by Inna View Post
    OK, I suppose I am not a best comedian, or simply this section of the forum does not support Pun Intended LOL comedy. I wrote above OP to simply add some laughter to this section.
    Good try! There is a lot of truth to what you had to say, which makes it difficult to pull off to much comedic effect. The benefits of transition from an outside perspective are subtle at best and come with a lot of other baggage. It's the feeling of congruency that makes it worthwhile for some, and all those silly little things become pleasant reminders of that real gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.M View Post
    It's a societal dynamic, not a family dynamic. Dysfunctional or problematic family dynamics don't override society's tendency as a whole to do this.

Any time you ever went in to a hardware store and the guys there just assumed you knew what you were talking about instead of giving you 20 questions over the purchase of a hammer, you experienced male privilege.

Any time anyone (male or female) spoke to you directly and listened to your answers instead of tuning you out and paying closer attention to the man standing next to you, you experienced male privilege.

Any time any other man privately shared a sexist joke or referred to a woman using sexual comments with you, out of earshot of a woman, you experienced male privilege.
    Bingo! All that and more. I've seen it described as playing the game on a lower difficulty level. You're not guaranteed to win, but you have advantages that may well have been invisible to you. It also combines unpredictably with other forms of privilege or lack thereof stemming from race, class, nationality, wealth, health, etc.

I have to say it was a real wake-up call when I bought my first car post-transition. Suddenly it's assumed that the only things I care about are color and vanity mirrors, that I don't have any negotiating skills, etc. Those hidden assumptions play into every part of our lives and cease to be invisible when they're not to our advantage.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Oh and lets not forget the aggravation of waking up everyday.
    Happy and a sense of self worth.
    Yea way overrated!!
    Always remimber life is what you make it.
    So make it Beautiful.

Love Ashley Dawn
    http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/ashley...00004093583692