Thread: A Summer Day in NYC

Wink A Summer Day in NYC

Thanks to your encouragement I decided that Nikki would do a NYC shopping trip.
    Quick recap: I got dressed at her store (quieter bathroom), as I was finishing getting ready she came with coffee and off we went. We took the 8:45 AM commuter bus to NYC, first stop Port Authority ladies room 30 some odd stalls and there was still a line. We walked from 42nd street to the 20's hit a whole lot of wholesale costume jewelry and purse stores. Stopped and rested at a McD's, later had lunch elsewhere. Two plus full rolling suitcases later we headed back and took the bus back to Pa.
    Observations: Humid 90+ degree day, a light loose cotton sleeveless, scoop neck maxi dress is a lot cooler than shorts and a tee, although walking on the subway grating and feeling the updraft is an unexpected experience the first time lol. Wigs were not made for hot weather but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And my makeup fared a lot better than I expected. A couple of firsts,going to NYC dressed, getting on a bus full of people (and hoping that nobody knew me but at the same time would own up to it if I did), wearing a sleeveless top willingly with hairy arms (shaved pits though).
    Moral of the story: I had a great time, I was treated well in all the stores. No snickers, or problems anywhere we went. On the street I didn't notice (nor did my friend) any issues with anyone. NYC is a place where anything goes, just be yourself and enjoy it. I guess I've been out often enough that the nerves aren't an issue for me anymore or I've accepted that this is who I am.
    Anyway, my friend said I was the best assistant she's had (I offered opinions and she let me pick out jewelry that I thought would sell) and that I'm her companion when she does her next trip also. Also she asked if I'd be willing to run her store on my days off when she goes away for 3 weeks. So on Wednesdays and Sundays in August I'm running a woman's clothing and accessories store all by myself. So if you'd like to stop in at least you'll know you'll have no problems shopping. Obviously my friend is also very acceptingof CDs & TGs.
    Last edited by Nikki A.; 07-16-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Sounds like you had a really wonderful time. Years ago I worked with a woman who wore what are now called maxi dresses and she told all the ladies that it was cooler than shorts. Good luck on running the store. Unfortunately, my best day to come down is Tuesdays, but, heh, who knows? Take care.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Sherrie she was right, the fabric keeps the sun off the legs.
    You're always welcome down. Hope you can make it down, I need the business to look good LOL.

I recently spent a week in NY - not as Deedee. I lived in Fairfield, Ct. in the 80s and I HATED New York; I wouldn't go there if you paid me. I haven't been to NY since the early 90s. I was amazed at a lot of things - how comfortable I felt, compared to how uncomfortable I always used to feel, how diverse the population is, how much cleaner it is than I remembered. I kinda thought that by now, maybe New York would be like a bigger Boston, but it is WAY different than Boston. The variety of people in New York is astonishing, and pretty awesome. Next time I go, maybe Deedee will get a chance to hang out there too...

Deedee

Well I was born & raised in NY until 1989 and I worked at Macy's during HS & college. I've seen the bad and good days there. It's been a while since I've been back and I was also pleasantly surprised at the conditions there. Deedee would like it too lol.

I think New Yorkers are living at a too fast pace to notice anything like you describe.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Platinum Member
    Hi Nikki, It sure sounds like you had a great time.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Well, you had a great time and that's good. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Obviously, New York (city) is a very big place and one's impression of it depends on what part of it they were in. I've been there twice for short periods in my adult life, and while it was fun, I doubt I would want to live or work there. But, in a city that large and diverse, it's pretty easy to be different and not stand out.

I had a dream the other night that my wife and I went to a city a couple hours from home and I dressed and we went out. I hope my dream comes true.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I'm glad everything worked out Nikki. You are doing quite well for yourself my friend. Let me know where the store is and I'll make sure to visit on a Sunday or Wednesday next month when you are there.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning