Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Overcompensation 101

Classic Overcompensation 101

Like probably the rest of y'all, I am guilty of stupidly committing various acts of overcompensation in my life to keep the gender authorities and lynch mobs at bay and off my case.

Little did I know at the time, though, that lynch mobs were generally a creation of my own fear and imagination, which meant that the pressure to look, act, and even smell like a dude was on!!

And because I couldn't (at least in my own overly paranoid and fearful mind) take any chances that I might accidently slip and present to the world even the smallest little smidgeon of femaleness, I actively engaged in the deceptive art and science of gross overcompensation.

In so doing, I did basically all of the typical things that the rest of you MtFs have done - I talked like a man, I laughed at and made stupid jokes that I never really understood or cared about like a man with the fellas (because, well, they were the fellas, and that's what fellas were expected to do), I played sports overly-aggressive, and so on and so forth.

But there is one thing, one crazy thing, that I learned early on to do, that I did for the sole and exclusive purpose of proving to the world that I was a SUPER CRAZY ASS MANLY MAN OF STEEL who was so completely FREAKISH in "his" total jacked-up MANHOOD that even an army of ninjas would run to their mommies rather than take on my maleness. What is that one crazy thing I did to trick the world as if I were the amazing, great magician David Copperfield himself?

I ate hot peppers. Plain and simple. I ate lots and lots of hot peppers.

That's what I stupidly and insanely did. But I did not just eat hot peppers, mind you. What I'm talking about is eating truly hot peppers waaaay before it was "in" to do so. I'm also talking about consuming insane amounts of hot peppers throughout my 25 year or so career of eating hot peppers.

I mean, I was so determined to prove my manhood through pepper eating that I was always that one dude who would eat anything, and would not back down from any challenge. In fact, I was the fool at carnivals, fairs, and festivals that you would always see winning the hot pepper eating contests, as you gazed in curiosity and wondered aloud how it was even possible to do such a thing.

But not only did I join and compete in hot pepper eating contests, I actively trained for them. A couple of glasses of milk, 30 to 40 raw habaneros in one sitting, followed by more milk, and I was THE MAN!!! I have even "manned" up and taken the ghost challenge straight up without breaking a sweat. Ok, I did break a sweat on the ghost, but that shit was legitimately hot, but I digress.

Still, anywhere, anytime, I was ready for a throw down. And I would never, ever give in to an opponent no matter how bad it hurt, how bad it burned, or how much it made me sick afterwards. Because, you see, I was a man, and men don't back down from nothin'!! Especially "men" that are hiding a really, really big secret, and believe (however incorrectly so) they need to hide that secret at all costs.

Now that I am much more comfortable in my own skin, however, and more accepting of who I really am, my stomach lining is pleased to report that I have since recognized the insanity of my ways, and that I have retired from hot pepper eating contests and challenges.

So that's the craziest (and dumbest) example of overcompensation I have on my rather long list of manning-up behavior. What's your's?

I am not sure I overcompensated to any degree like that. In fact I think I failed miserably at attempting to be a boy at all. I was never quite accepted in the male world. I was smaller than they were, not as strong, had absolutely no interest in competition, and dressed much better than they did. Instead of trying extra hard to have a macho image I kind of did a retreat from the world and became a loner.

But then again I do love hot peppers, never did any contest with them though.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    "...........I have on my rather long list of manning-up behavior. What's your's?"

I voted Republican once .
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

When I was growing up, the violence was VERY real. I was hospitalized almost 50 times over 6 years, not including a spinal injury that could have left me crippled or dead (Gym teacher popped my back so I could breathe again). To be fair, many of the hospital trips were due to asthma attacks made so severe I needed the emergency room & a 2 week hospital stay as a result of emotional reactions to the violence.

I have a couple. When I turned 15, the choir teacher heard me yelling at some kids who had decided to try to shut me out (because I wouldn't conform and won a Bible Argument with their youth pastor). She "invited" me to audition for choir (or spend the rest of May in detention). She found out that I was a Bass, with a 3 octave range (Not bad for 15 years old). Singing Bass meant I could "Sound" like a "man". So I sang in lots of Choirs, including my Church Choir, School Choir, and All City Choir, even All State Choir.

I then leveraged my Bass voice to go to a school, Loretto Heights College, with 900 women and 25 men (they needed boys for the Choir & Theater). In theater, I learned how to look and act more like a man, but even there I was tagged as a "Sissy".

I told friends that I went to Loretto Heights because I had a really good change of getting laid, but in reality, all I REALLY wanted was to be one of the girls without fear of getting beat up. As it was, I was injured a few times by other boys on the stage crew.

The other really dumb thing I did to be "macho" was buy a motorcycle. I bought a KZ-1300 Kawasaki motorcycle with a 1300 CC engine - AS MY FIRST (and Last) Bike. Fortunately, I took the motorcycle safety course and high sided on the little 350cc practice bike used in the course. After skidding out several times the following spring, I realized that I should not ride a motorcycle, especially one that big.

I did keep the black leather jacket though. And wore it with my black leather skirts and thigh-high boots ;-)
    Last edited by DebbieL; 07-16-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

Wow. Wow.

I have nothing to match that. I had upper lip fuzz. And I bought a cute little cherry red Yamaha 350 motorcycle. Hmmm...I wonder if that was a clue.

I eat jalapenos every day. I like them.
    Brighid

I became completely invisible to people who I had relationships with.

Everything down to the most minute detail was fabricated to hide my true identity of female.

They were having a relationship with someone who did not exist.

I was the perfect mirror that would reflect back to others what they wanted to see so that I could hide my true gender from them.

I controlled others by not allowing them to see me to keep my true identity alive inside me.

The problem is when you do this you stop existing for yourself as well.

My body was here but I had checked out because I always was playing a role for others.

An actor with no self.

I was eating my own version of hot peppers.

Transitioning is no longer living as an invisible person but lifelong habits die hard
    Last edited by KellyJameson; 07-16-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Bodybuilding show...yes...a bodybuilding show...

Platinum Member
    Defensive end and gym rat. Topped out at just shy of 270. Now I have two bad knees, two bad shoulders and a bad hip. The yet brain showing damage isn't!

Silver Member
    Anne, you are a nut.

I had to give it a little thought to distinguish things that were overcompensation versus things that were merely, ummmm, dumb, like eating hot peppers in contests.

The best I can come up with is probably my time at farrier school. Yep - horseshoeing. Big old bunkhouse at a ranch full of dudes and pounding on an anvil all day. I gained an awesome appreciation for just how much I did not want to be a farrier!
    Lea

During my second marriage I vowed to be a GUY. I really thought the real guys would consider me a real guy if I went partridge hunting with them . So, here's me looking like Niles Crane dressed as Elmer Fudd, out in a field, acting macho, while trying not to step on anything yicky. Up ahead, a partridge. Shoot it! Hell no, I threw a rock near it so it would fly away to safety.
    I also bought an itchy scratchy wool plaid shirt to blend in. Felt like a 50/50 wool/fire ant blend.

I guess i am another who never did much maning up. I was always a loner did not like sports and refuse to throw a ball as i throw like a girl and always did. I liked reading, writing and loved watching soap operas, always though the women where so beautiful and wanted to be one of them. Guess looking back have no idea how i ever got married as really had no interest in women to speak off and thought guys where pigs the way they talked and acted. Guess some thoughts there have changed lol.

Joining the Army, then becoming a police officer. I love spicy food so all the talk about pepper eating is making me hungry.

Groove 67- I resemble that. I've thrown like a girl all my life. I look like a praying mantis trying to wipe its butt.

This made me laugh cause I just think about how much overcompensate.

I'm in the military and I'm also a mechanic, so being manly is a must.

For me, I know if the day comes and I do decide to transition, so many people are going to have their mind-blown and think its a prank.

Anything that can be considered fem, I stay away from it, don't mention it. I don't want people to put any fem word with my name...

But I'll be changing that here in the next months.
    I've got some issues that nobody can see
    And all of these emotions are pouring outta me
    I bring them to the light for you
    It's only right
    This is the soundtrack to my life
    The soundtrack to my life ohhhh --Cudi

Eating hot peppers: done

Body building: done (with scant results...)

I think that for me over compensation was to build a solid shell to hide my feelings.

When I was a child I cried a lot, cartoons moved me, also innocent cartoons like Hanna & Barbera,
    especially some Japanese anime made me cry (Candy Candy, for example, or Heidi).

Later I did not cry anymore, also in occasions where also a man is authorized to cry.

But this is only a mask, which only revealed my strangeness. People apparently saw an
    over rationalistic individual, and this saved me as a man but it was also my prison, because
    I always thought of myself as a caring and emphatic individual.

This got me to thinking. Yes we all overcompensated to a degree trying to be male to hide our true selves, but do we sometimes do the same trying to be female? I find myself looking for any hint of masculinity in my presentation and doing all I can to cover it up. Since my body was ruined by a male puberty and my social skills and mannerisms were shaped by the societal pressures of being born with male parts, it causes me to try to cover that up. I have to do this much more so than a genetic woman will. There is a fear to allow any hint of what I was born as.

So, by overcompensating my femininity, am I creating a new false identity that is also not my true self? How do I know? I have never known who my true self is so am I just creating another illusion? Am I just digging another hole in a different direction? Is it possible to ever just be me? Is there a Me?

Um.... Does doing a lot of drinking and drugs count? As a teenager I did everything to stave off emotions and feelings and although I tried sports I always failed miserably as a being a rough and tumble boy. I disliked conflict, loved art, had really intense friendships with other boys (but not in that way) and was depressed and scared to death of girls. But boy oh boy did I want to be one. Oh and sports - I failed at that. Try being 125 lbs and play lacrosse. I was a punching bag for so many other boys. In fact bullying was something I dealt with all my childhood. I think boys recognize when you're not one of them or a "sissy". Hate that term.

Welding, shop class, home repair, tools - anything handy and I could cover up the female inside. But girls use tools too! That's what I'm trying to teach my daughter. So there is upside to acting manly sometimes, but I've just learned to take the skills and not assign a gender to the behavior. House painting or construction doesn't do wonders for your nails though.

Darla

You know what they say, Miss Anne...
    Life is like a jar of hot peppers. What you do today will come back and burn your butt tomorrow.

Your postulate is hysterical . . . uber hot pepper eating is overcompensation for gender caused insecurities and perpetuating denial of your condition! ROFLMAO.

I haven't concluded any of my past life was done to overcompensate and prove my maleness . . . When I got banned from the girls playground in 3rd grade, I didn't fit in any boy activities, and I didn't want to. I was far more the "loner" kid ever after. And it never really changed. Most every activity I did, was a solo individual activity, and even then there was some girl at my elbow doing it with me, meaning they weren't macho activities.

But back to your hysterical postulate, in that humorous vein, let me get all arm-chair psycologisty on you, and let's think about this pepper eating problem of yours.

Now besides getting you macho Brownie points (yes deliberately oxymorinic choice of ways to measure maledom accolades), Ghost pepper eating, that would also get you a lot of attention too, wouldn't it?

And classically younger sibs act out more to get attention. Your sister is older than you isn't she? Just sayin . . . ;^)

And to me, eating uber hot peppers, that would be a version of self-immolation, trying to set yourself on fire in an attempt at suicide, which act I've heard is a cry for attention. . . . . just sayin. :^)

And since you run like a marathoner, you burn up lots of attention per mile and you need more all the time, right? . . . . just sayin . . . ;^)

And finally, you are a Princess aren't you???? . . . just sayin! ;^)

Well I think I'll get out of this arm-chair now . . . ;^)
    Hugs,
    'lissa

"The second life isn't like the first one, is it?"
    "Sometimes, it's even better."
    ~ Elektra Natchios & Stick, Elektra (Movie) 2005, R. Metzner, S. Zicherman, Z. Penn

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieL View Post
    She found out that I was a Bass, with a 3 octave range (Not bad for 15 years old). Singing Bass meant I could "Sound" like a "man". So I sang in lots of Choirs, including my Church Choir, School Choir, and All City Choir, even All State Choir.
    I like to sing bass in choirs. It's fun to sit next to masculine looking men who sing tenor and baritone, and sing bass while looking somewhat like a genetic woman!

Johanna
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Hi,

Thats all very interesting , Many here use terms or words to explain them selfs as to being male, thats were i would have to say thats compleatly over my head. And to compensate to make you look better in other males eye's or be thought of as toughor hard men.

To be seen as a male,

What does that really mean i dont know because i dont relate with that or understand the real implicasions of that,

i did do things though it was not to make myself be different form what i allways have been. i think the nearest i can see is join the Army & we'll make a man out of you. hmmm...... i was with the Navy. a non combatent yet we were in front leading the way. i was with the Band & had i gone through all my training i would have been a Medic, so there would be no thought there of trying to be... a male ...in any way shape or form. soft & careing is more my nature.

As i'v tryed to see the meaning of feminine as it pertains to myself a struggle iv allways had seems to be pretty pointless because i never tryed to be other than i have allways been & am as others know with thier interactions with me.

My Prowess came in a strength of being good at gymastics though i had doughts about what i could do i was or had to be pushed into doing more, i knew i could i just allways thought others were far better than i, & they should do the moves, yet they could not so was left up to two of us to compeat. my competitiveness was nill, pretty much in all i did,

& to tell the truth i would have made a pretty sorry looking male as you's have reffered to. one thing i have picked up was the one upmanship. all ways has to be one better, or who's the stronger. yet was there ever a you see a lack in an other & help them with out you owe me .

Heres a ? .

As i said a bit about myself how would you see myself as a wimp certinaly not with in your idear of male you talk about doing things to show what a real man is or about, who really has the strengh , you were out to prove you were a man yet why could you not just show who you really were, i never tryed to be other than i am yes i hid if you like by my non expressing of myself though i did not do that very well , it was seen, i was shut down i know that because of abuse & other details ,

So the ? , who really had or has the real strengh, after all. the all out one who has to prove ...this... manhood or the wimp who is female under duress its not the body strengh its the strengh of the mind,

Thank you, for your insights to a man under a different setting,

...noeleena...

Overcompensated ,,,That's an understatement for me ,, Don't get me started ,,lol,,, I haven't even healed up from most of it !!

Stacy it is just so much more fun when you get started......

You asked for it !!

Quote Originally Posted by almostalady View Post
    Stacy it is just so much more fun when you get started......
    Grew up on a commercial fishing boat my father had for 55 years !
    2 Years in the Bearing sea , For another company
    Repoed cars 1 year ,, Own Bizz

Repoed construction equipment an hauled it for 10 years another company

Drank enough Booze to kill 100 Elephants ,, That's just a tid bit !!
    No Hot pepper ,,,YUK !! Half Gallon of Vodka a day ,,,