Thread: Getting Braver!

Getting Braver!

I just wanted to share what was quite a milestone for me...
    I have been dressing since I was a child ( I am now in my 40's) and am in the closet as far as my friends are concerned, although my Mrs knows and is cool with me dressing at home.. I have been to a few Tgirl clubs but in all honesty haven't had the greatest of nights.. I always seem to stand on the edges watching everyone else having a good time while I feel like a bit of a spare part. I'm not flamboyant, so it's hard for me to just go up to a stranger and start talking.
    I share this story with you because it is NEVER too late to push your boundaries a bit ...
    I had to go to Cardiff on business this week and I thought, why not stay in a T-girl friendly hotel so that I can dress and go downstairs and generally have a nice relaxing evening. After a search, I discovered tyrosa.com/ a lovely hotel run by a couple of gay guys. I called up just to double check that they were ok with me dressing ... "Yeah no problem - dress - come downstairs and have a glass of wine".
    On my journey from London to Cardiff, I was feeling the urge with every passing mile, so about half way along the motorway, I stopped at a service station and in the car park, completely made myself up, put some big ear rings in. Put on my nail varnish... Bra, boobs, girly top, and just left my jeans on which are quite androdgynous anyway.
    It felt SO wonderful to be driving on that long journey as Debi! and as the clock ticked by, I was just feeling more and more ok with myself not to mention 'pinker and pinker' if you know what I mean.
    My first adrenaline moment was paying the toll for the bridge. You have to remember that I have virtually no experience with being out in public, but to my surprise, I handed over my money and I didn't feel odd at all. Nothing was going to happen! I wasn't going to get arrested or anything. That was easy!
    I arrived at the hotel and was greeted by one of the owners Stuart. He was SO friendly and put me at ease. "Go in there my lovely - make yourself at home - would you like a cup of tea?" This was great - just doing something normal as a girl ... having a cup of tea.
    He proceeded to tell me about T-friendly places in the area and then said "or alternatively myself and my partner are going to a pub and then onto a Karaoke place - you are welcome to come out with us"
    Because I have almost NO experience with going out in the open, I thought to myself- well that's a whole lot LESS scary than going out on my own. I am in a city MILES and MILES away from home, so I'm not going to get spotted. YES..that would be lovely!
    We got dropped of by Taxi walked along to a pub and had a couple of drinks in there and then we walked for about 10/15 minutes (lovely to walk along the street in heels) on our way to another bar. Here's the funny thing ... we were walking along chatting and I felt TOTALLY at ease and amazingly NOBODY murdered me! I didn't even get one derogatory comment.
    We ended up at a gay bar that had a karaoke night on and after that usual discussion "are you going to get up and do a song?" I thought yeah! **** it! put me down! After half an hour or so, my name came up on the screens.
    I got on the stage in front of all these gay men (I wasn't sure what the dynamic is being in a gay club, as I've heard that some gay men don't particularly like T-girls). My two new friends were clapping..
    Now I'm a pretty decent singer thankfully .. infact I'm rather good! .. well to be honest - I am a musician and singer who performs at rather a high level! but I WAS a little nervous to say the least getting up under the spotlight for the first time as a girl with the whole bar looking at me..
    I chose 'Not That Kind of Girl' by Anastasia as I thought it might be an appropriate song! After two lines, the bar erupted and I MEAN ERUPTED! ... I was totally hammering it out for everything I was worth and I was totally in the zone. (It is such a lovely feeling when that happens).
    After I finished my song, everybody was cheering and I had loads of guys coming over to me saying how amazing I was and so on.
    It just felt that on Monday night - Debi finally came out!
    I was not only accepted as being a girl, but I was celebrated for being a girl singer. Even the door man kissed me on the cheek when I left!
    I want to thank Stuart and Paul from the hotel for making Monday night not only such a fantastic night, but in Debi's life ... the BEST night of my life!

I can't wait to do it again...

If only I didn't have neighbours where I live!

xxx

With a reception like that I bet it boosted your confidence.
    Go for it and enjoy the moment, but remember there are not always successes out there.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I enjoyed reading about your venture out Debi, sounds like such a wonderful time out. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Link to my flickr photostream:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kandybarr

Sounds like a wonderful night. Look's like someone opened the closet door and slipped out into the spotlight. Glad you had such a good experience. Now, what is my next opportunity?

It's a wonderful feeling when you break through your fears. Hopefully you can continue your experiences.

That's a fantastic story Debi! Congratulations, I'm jealous you had such a good night!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Glad you had a fantastic night and made a bunch of new friends!!

Maybe you should introduce Debi to your neighbors...you go girl - sounds like a wounderful time..................Debra

It is amazing how many musicians we have here. Sounds like you hit the high note.

One thing though, it isn't that gay men don't like "T" girls, they usually do like us as friends. They don't DATE "T" girls usually. I have not met a gay man who didn't at least try and talk to me
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

That's realy cool! Being invited out, signing....great fun! It sure does beat going it alone and from what I've seen gay people are pretty accepting and as a bonus most know how to party. I'm curious, were you trying to sing with a female voice?
    Chickie

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    It is amazing how many musicians we have here. Sounds like you hit the high note.

One thing though, it isn't that gay men don't like "T" girls, they usually do like us as friends. They don't DATE "T" girls usually. I have not met a gay man who didn't at least try and talk to me
    Musician here too! And, I've been out as Jenny many, many times. I sometimes go a gay bar here in town and the gay men never hit on me. The ladies and gentlemen are very nice and respectful and really don't notice me because most of them aren't attracted to women anyway. However, you have to be careful with 'tranny-chasers'. They show up from time to time and are braver than you are.
    Change is inevitable...

Thanks for sharing your lovely experience with us. It may help others.
    Hugs, Carole

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi View Post
    ......I got on the stage in front of all these gay men (I wasn't sure what the dynamic is being in a gay club, as I've heard that some gay men don't particularly like T-girls). My two new friends were clapping..
    Now I'm a pretty decent singer thankfully .. in fact I'm rather good! .. well to be honest - I am a musician and singer who performs at rather a high level! but I WAS a little nervous to say the least getting up under the spotlight for the first time as a girl with the whole bar looking at me..
    Hi Debi,

You old show girl! Can't keep a class act down. So no Chas & Dave for you then?
    Sounds like a wicked night.....and Cardiff certainly has a 'goodly' number of drinking establishments.

I go to Cardiff and Newport on occasion for work and will keep the Ty Rosa in mind. A good 'heads up' there! Checked their site and liked the bit about being hetero friendly too. Made me grin.

I'm seeing a few London girls here. Can always pm me. I'm outer south London.

Reb
    Last edited by reb.femme; 07-17-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Chickhe View Post
    I'm curious, were you trying to sing with a female voice?
    Good question! ... One of the bonus's of singing an Anastasia song is that she actually sounds quite like a MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by reb.femme View Post
    So no Chas & Dave for you then?
    Ha ha - I DO draw the line at Chas and Dave! ... Next time you're staying over that way, you MUST stay there ... They occasionally have groups of T-girls staying over! x

Wow, that's quite a maiden voyage. And you did it right -- away from home, gay hotel, being open. Kudos girl. Gonna be hard to top that.

Great story!!!! Thank you for sharing this and I am so glad you had such a wonderful night which will now be a forever wonderful memory. Best of wishes to you.
    Di

Fantastic story, thank you for sharing. In regard to gay men talking to CD's, at the last Chicago Gay Pride Parade I was a spectator and many gay men chatted with me with great ease. But I don't bleive that anyone that I talked to at the parade, gay or straight, liked the fact that once I get started(talking) it is not easy to shut me up.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    I would tend to agree. Most gay men i've known who are out want a hunk as a partner. I've been to more than one gay bar in my life and most every time, I've been treated with respect and like a lady.

Platinum Member
    That's a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing!

At the first Gay Parade that I attended way back circa 1974, some males did not spark to me, over the years my relationships with mjale gays at the parade has warmed emmensely. My last Gay Parade attendence as a participant was 2008(????), and I stated above I was a watcher at this year parade. It was a blast.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

What a wonder night for you! Although I do go out occasionally to a couple of Gay/TG bars locally, what happened to you would be a dream. Someday I want to go out to some regular nightlife places and it would be awesome to have a "sponsor" go along for the evening and guide me.