Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going out en femme: the good and the bad

Going out en femme: the good and the bad

Last week was a strange week for this crossdresser, with highs and lows. I am always very careful about going out dressed femme, and I had not had any problems. Oh, sometimes I could see people reading me, and sometimes I would hear, after I had passed, "that's a man." Sometimes someone would say "sir," but really it wasn't a problem. Mostly I could blend in fine so that no one paid much attention, and when I had contact with most people it just wasn't an issue. Often I would be addressed as "ma'am," and it felt good. I'd gotten pretty confident. I'm always careful about where I go, and have never felt unsafe. Well, you can tell, something is coming up.

Wednesday I went to a meeting, the fifth so far, with my gender therapist. She has only ever seen me as Michaella, and is very supportive. So again I was dressed, and I thought I looked pretty good, in a lightweight silk summer dress, with heels, make-up, jewellery, nails done. I was walking to the train that I would take downtown to the meeting, and a car went by me on the other side of the street, slowed down, and the driver, a middle-aged male, called over and said with a huge smile, "on a hot summer day, you look exquisite!" I smiled and said thank you, and he drove off. I didn't feel threatened or unsafe in any way. Now I don't know if he read me or not, and I didn't really care. It felt great one way or the other!

We had a good meeting. Amazing I found myself wondering about transitioning and what that might mean. It's mostly a thought experiment to see what I really feel about my gender issues, rather than a real intention. But yet . . .

After that I went to a movie, and all went well. The woman taking my ticket said "oh, back again!" becuase I had indeed been there, en femme, on the weekend.

Saturday I had some errands to run, getting keys copied at the hardware store, dropping off shoes for repair, and I decided I would spend the full weekend dressed. I wore a light silk long summer skirt and a silk over-sized shirt, belted at the waist, and flats. Ran the errands, no problem in either place, though I'm sure my voice gives me away. Also browsed in a consignment shop and a music store. Nobody paid any attention to me.

Next I went to get groceries. Now I had shopped for groceries en femme a number of times before, in several places, including this one, an ordinary supermarket, and it had never been an issue. So I'm just walking around, putting things in my cart. I turn a corner to pick up some cider, and a woman comes up to me, says something that I could not make out, and splashes a full bottle of mango juice in my face. I'm astonished, not hurt, but completely surprised. She then turns to the other customers and the staff around and yells out "he tried to rape me." Madness. The nearest staff person called for security right away. The crazy woman walks away and the security man goes after her. The staff person explains "she just threw that juice at her, no reason." Customers just seemed to want to avoid the whole thing. The staff made sure the crazy woman left and did not come back in. I could hear her ranting and raving, couldn't make any sense of it, lots of profanity. The staff asked me if I was okay, if I needed help. I was able to clean up some and I went back to shopping. Maybe I should have asked for police to come, maybe I should have insisted charges be laid, but I didn't want to create any more issues. Who knows, maybe she would have insisted on laying charges against me. So, left it. Went home and cleaned up.

What troubled me was that in a place where I thought I was safe this could happen. Clearly this woman was unstable. And that's the problem. The mentally ill often have no inhibitions, nothing to stop them from acting on impulse, on whim, on emotional reaction, unrestrained by social norms of at least politeness if nothing else. I wasn't harmed at all, but suppose she had been armed? There have been accounts of mentally ill people in this city attacking others for no apparent reason. She obviously thought she had a reason. And no reason not to. It gave me much pause for thought.

But, get right back on the horse, right? So the next day I decided I would do what I had planned to do, and that was to go downtown and see a movie, and go presenting as a woman. (Loose Indian top over leggings, flats, full make-up, nail polish etc. I thought I looked fine.) I got downtown early and went into a couple of shop, in the Chinatown area. In one I saw a scarf I liked. To buy it I had to talk some with a couple of staff, and they were both very nice, the young woman smiling nicely and being very helpful, the young man pleasantly addressing me as "ma'am." And going to the movie was fine. But at the train station there was a young man standing on the stairs doing one of those loud non-stop incoherent rants about anything and everything. And as I got closer -- not too close -- he kept on ranting and I heard him say " . . . I know you're a man I can tell just by looking . . . " without missing a beat and while staring at me. It was very creepy. Nothing happened to me, but a second encounter in two days with a clearly unstable person was worrisome. Might he have rapidly become a threat?

Frankly I see a lot of very scary people around here. I've always been very careful about where I go when I'm dressed femme, but these were places I had been to many times before and I had felt very confident that I was safe. The complete unpredicatability of it all is what is so troubling.

So now I have to wonder if I should ever go out dressed again. And that changes everything.

Thank you for listening.

Michaella

Don't let the random stuff get you down, girl. Kudos for handling it so well, some people would have freaked. I guess we need a smartphone app to scan for wackos. :-)

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Keep going out don't let it stop you.
    Maybe adjust the time you go to those places.May help may not.
    I have had some experiences out enfemme that made me think about doing it again but I didn't let it stop me.
    Its been quite a while since then.

Wow, I'm really sorry you had not one but two whacko encounters in one week! You've definitely met your quota.

I wouldn't let it stop you from living your life though, you can't let things like that rule what you do. Besides, how many positive experiences did you also have last week? Well more than two I would be willing to bet!

We see nutballs everywhere in life no matter how we present ourselves to the world, we can't let them decide for us how we live our lives. Just be smart and safe about things, and keep on living your life girl!

Banned Read only
    Fact - There are a$$holes in every crowd.

Fact - it was your turn in the barrel.

Fact- if it wasn't you it would be someone else

Don't let it bother you. Continue handling things in the manner you have. You will be alright.

Michaella, I read your comments and feel the need to acknowledge your experiences and feelings. I have a lump in the bottom of my stomach just reading about your encounters.

Unfortunately, I have no great words of wisdom to put it right for you. Yes, the world can be and is dangerous at times. Fear, on our part, is a powerful force for protecting us from danger but hopefully not so powerful as to take away the very life that it is designed to protect.

Ask any GG, and they will have similar scary experiences, they just didn't have the choice of "not dressing..."
    Perhaps thos can give us a little more insight into the female psyche... at least that's how I choose to look at it.

Wow, i am so sorry to hear of your misadventrue. You know, it could have happened to anyone. At the same time, it seems that the people at the market and in chinatown fully supported you. Thats important to consider as well,

Michaella, Most of all I am glad that you are OK. Just be careful, watch your surroundings, and try to take a friend along with you if you can.
    Stephanie

Silver Member
    Michaella - Sorry about your bad experiences. You handled them well. Seems like you live in a city environment. There is usually ability to blend, diversity and open mindedness in most urban areas. Unfortunately there will always be the oddballs, too. Growing up in a big city, you expect people like that. You learn to have a tough skin. Just don't let anyone prevent you from doing the things you want to do.

Michella,
    If you falloff your bike, get on it again straight away.
    You find all sorts of reasons for not wanting to if you stop.
    You did well in the way you handled the problem and it really did not faze you at the time.
    It was all about aftershock.
    Just get back on that bike and RIDE!
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

What troubled me was that in a place where I thought I was safe this could happen. Clearly this woman was unstable. And that's the problem. The mentally ill often have no inhibitions, nothing to stop them from acting on impulse, on whim, on emotional reaction, unrestrained by social norms of at least politeness if nothing else. I wasn't harmed at all, but suppose she had been armed? There have been accounts of mentally ill people in this city attacking others for no apparent reason. She obviously thought she had a reason. And no reason not to. It gave me much pause for thought.
    There was a recent post on the differences between "the good old days" and 2013. One of these differences that was not brought up is, fifty years ago, mentally ill people could be institutionalized for treatment. This not only kept them safe from harm by themselves or others, it kept society safe from the mentally ill who don't understand what they are doing.

You are correct to be concerned that she might be armed. That's what has happened in many of the mass shootings or bombings. And until things change and society gets a handle on these people, the rest of us continue to be in danger.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Michaella View Post
    The staff person explains "she just threw that juice at her, no reason."
    You're very lucky this person was there to be a witness; I've heard of people's whole lives going down the toilet at false accusations of rape.

On the plus side, the witness did call you "her". *giggle*

- Becky
    "It's my life, it's now or never. I ain't gonna live forever. I just want to live while I'm alive. " - Bon Jovi

Well, a thought you might want to keep in mind is a gentle tap with a taser or a little eye wash from a mace canister often brings a moment of clarity to the A_ _ holes that feel they have the right to infringe on your happiness and well being. Just a thought
    I never new how masculine I was until I tried to be a woman

Banned Read only
    From the description of your day, I'd say it was a success. Yes, you were actually assaulted in the grocery store (4th degree in my state and a hate crime too), and, a deranged man went off. But, otherwise it seems you were treated with respect, whether or not, everyone approved of your presentation.

A short story of a person being harassed. My wife when she was young and a knockout had to sign for her unemployment benefits in mid town Manhattan. Every week construction workers exercised their first amendment rights of free speech and did the proverbial catcalls. Finally, she had enough and confronted them. She asked them whether or not they would appreciate their wives or daughters being harassed by men for just walking down the street. It silenced them. The point was those men could admire the view without acting like fools. It did not stop her from being herself. It did not cause her to dress down or to modify her gorgeous looks to avoid the admiration of the public.

If you feel comfortable being out en femme, please, don't let other person's bad behavior drive you into the closet.

I'm sorry those two ruined your day. But, you're the bigger person because of the way you handled the situations. Good for you! You sound like a very down to earth person with a good head on your shoulders.

Unfortunately for me, I wasn't that cool when a creepy guy approached me at a Target a couple years ago. He followed me around then approached me. I was trying to get rid of him, but he persisted. Then, he reached out and grabbed my boob (breastforms) and asks "are these real?" Well, this total stranger put his hands on me and he paid for it right there in Target. It was a mess. Police came and everything. Luckily they had it on camera, so no charges were brought against me in the end. So glad you didn't have to go through that. I hope no one has to go through that.
    Change is inevitable...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny CD View Post
    Luckily they had it on camera, so no charges were brought against me in the end.
    Against you?!?! That was sexual assault!! If it was caught on camera, why weren't charges brought against him?

- Becky
    "It's my life, it's now or never. I ain't gonna live forever. I just want to live while I'm alive. " - Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Watson View Post
    Against you?!?! That was sexual assault!! If it was caught on camera, why weren't charges brought against him?

- Becky
    Yeah, guess I shoulda mentioned that they took him to jail, not me. There is a 'groping' law in Texas that he was charged with. I don't recall the term. I didn't have to go to court or anything as it was considered a misdemeanor.
    Change is inevitable...

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    .....Fact - it was your turn in the barrel.....
    Well, that's the first time I've seen this one, used this way .

As per usual, I go with the consensus. The world has more than its fair share of strange types and unfortunately, you hit 2 in short order. From the way you recovered from the juice in the face incident, I think you will eventually roll with this and continue with your life.

The bad events of life often seem to carry more weight for us than the positives. Just right now, the incidents are sore and rightly so.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Obviously you are not quite passable and I can relate to that as neither am I and would so love to be. So when we go out it's a good bet some will notice that and will hopefully just leave it alone but there are those buttheads that just can't leave it alone. So it's a gamble we take and with every step there is that tension that someone will notice I'm not a real woman. The gamble has to be weighed is it worth it in that being seen is ok but the violence that may result is not. It again all depends on how far we are willing to go realizing the fem side in ourselves.

Hi Michaella - I'm sorry you had those two horrific encounters, and I admire you for the personal strength and composure with which you handled them. Others have noted, rightly, that nobody in the store was put off by you in the least (other than the demented lady, and her problems were not with you); and the bystanders really did accept the fact of your femininity. One of the things I find so profound when I'm out in the Real World is the depth of understanding of the hard reality that all women live with every day of their lives. They are surrounded full time by people who are bigger, stronger, meaner, and way less well behaved. Genetic women of all ages have to be aware of their surroundings every minute; is that trio of guys at the corner going to try something? We CDs think about this only rarely, when we are out and en femme. Our concerns about violence are real, of course, and sensible; but how much more vulnerable are our genetic sisters! This insight has brought me to an enhanced understanding of the world women live in, and has truly raised my appreciation and admiration for them even higher. Hugs - Diane
    Last edited by DianeDeBris; 07-23-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Platinum Member
    Hi Michaella, You just can't fix stupid.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Platinum Member
    These are clearly isolated and unfortunate encounters. Don't let it deter you. Honestly, though there are a few disturbed individuals out there, the chances are so small that you have probably filled your lifetime quota.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    Michaella, those two people were clearly unhinged. Everything else you've said about your time out was overwhelmingly positive.

And you're considering not going out ever again as a result? You can't be serious.

Stay safe, yes, but don't give up this part of yourself. I sure wouldn't!

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Sorry day two, not much you can do, you will be outed, it happens to any guy in a dress it's hard to pass 100%, 100% of the time.
    Day one, after the surprise attract, a right hook to the jaw is something even a crazy person will understand and remember, you have a right of self defense.
    In Florida, you could have shot her!
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.