Thread: Identity cards....

Identity cards....

I was just wondering how many of you got ID cards in your female persona? Seriously thinking about it, but don't know the process. I'm in NM right now. Any insight?
    Change is inevitable...

Some states allow a citizen to obtain a separate ID card from the state (maybe from the DMV, as in California). On that ID card some states allow you to use a different pic, including one in femme mode. However, as in CA, when you get your updated driver's license it may very possibly come with the latest pic that they have on file, your female pic. That would necessitate returning to the DMV for a new pic on the license.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Where I am, I haven't been able to get any official ID in my femme name, but my nondriving-license photo was taken with me in semi-femme mode and came out not looking all that male.

I don't think you can legally have two "official" ID cards that don't match. Think about it and you'll understand why.

Now you can get or make "fake" ID cards, but if you try to use one, that may be a crime as well.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Linda, in California you can have a DMV issued rivers license with all the correct data and one picture, and then a separate DMV issued official ID card with the same valid information and a different pic, i.e. male pic on the license and a female pic on the ID. Past threads here have indicated that some other states have similar rules. Do a search of old threads.

But the name and other information have to be the same, right?

When my wife and I moved to a different state we had to bring birth certificates and proof of residence to get driver's licenses. They almost wouldn't give my wife a licens because all the utility bills (proof of residence) were in my name only.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Yes Linda, all the personal data needs to be accurate and true. However, you can have different pics.

I dunno, sounds like much ado about nothing to me. I mean you have a DL with all the pertinent info and a male pic but an attached ID with a female pic. I don't get the point except putting out more money maybe.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Many places now require a piece of official identification to use a credit card. I've been tempted to get a credit card with just initials so I could use it in either mode but the sticking point has been the second piece of ID. As it stands, I either have to use cash or brazen it out and out myself to the clerk.

Back in the Bad Old Days it was common for a wife to use a credit card in her husband's name. I don't think that it is as common these days.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    There was a time at which it bugged me to Dressed and accepted as "female enough" for policy purposes, but then to have to hand over my male debit card that the cashiers would then (as per store policy) read to learn the name to address me with. Yes, at least once while I was fully dressed and buying a bra and dress, the cashier looked at my card and promptly referred to me as "Mr."

It also gets frustrating to go into a club and have to present male-named ID for age-verification purposes -- especially if it is a club in which women get shown right in and males have to get stamped or banded... thus visually marking you as male for all the rest of the customers to see.

Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    ... especially if it is a club in which women get shown right in and males have to get stamped or banded... thus visually marking you as male for all the rest of the customers to see.
    Umm, perhaps don't go to a club that discriminates so openly against males? That practice is insulting to both genders.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I got a Green Dot prepaid debit/credit card with both my male and female names on it and so far I haven't had any problems with it.

Not to get too far off of topic, but Sandra-leigh, me and my daughter and Jenna (Jennabug) went to a club in Key West and they didn't card me, but they carded Jenna to make sure she was a lady. I laughed so hard that I almost broke ribs.

Cool until you need your id to do guy business, unless our out to the world, it has limited uses.
    If you can get duel id's in your state, it's fun, but if it's only one id per person I think I'd keep the one that gets me through most days best.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.