Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best place to be CD, TG, TS gay etc.

Best place to be CD, TG, TS gay etc.

Silly question perhaps? but which Western/Industrial country is considered the most open and tolerant when it comes to all us more 'interesting' people?....not that I'm planing to leave the UK anyime soon
    Last edited by SallyS; 08-02-2013 at 05:06 AM.

I found Amsterdam the most accepting I spent some time over there most of which I was dressed and was totally. Accepted regardeless of whether I was in a bar or out buying groceries

Any country is only as good or bad as the individual people in it really.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Hi,

This could depend on the person that is different could allso be if your a member of different groups how your percived with in the community you live in & what your standing is with in that community, how well you are known.

Or is this just a ? of one is visting a county or town Village or some small place.

In answer for myself im very involved with in our community, a member of quite a few different groups within a membership of 1000 people, well known , in N Z , Waimate in the south isl.

Austraila not much different for myself as iv been over there 3 times well accepted where ever iv been & in the redneck of Tasmainia well as i was told i just did not belive that so i met many people ,interacted with many, every where,
    And dressed in my Renaissance garb so, i would be looked at more so.

I belive its attitude how you interact with others are you out going talkitive inviting interested in others & just an all rounder, now i have some disadvantages & some advantages yet im well accepted, dispite my short comings .& i have been told to come back & see those i met with a group i attended,

...noerleena...

I don't think it's the country so much as individual parts of countries (and cities). Speaking of the USA, there are places where you could face physical harm and there are places where you wouldn't raise an eyebrow.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Anyplace with good music and a tourist trade. New Orleans comes to mind...and, of course, San Francisco. Key West is cool. Anywhere else in the US? Doubt it. Not anywhere in the Caribbean, I can assure you.
    Last edited by Robbin_Sinclair; 08-02-2013 at 08:33 AM.

I dont think theres one place any better then the other.
    Society is slowly changing and accepting change is just a part of acceptance.
    Renee

Platinum Member
    Hey, it's not all that bad in Houston! Our mayor is a lesbian, we have active LGBT community and even in the suburbs I can go out without issue. Sure there are some deeply reactionary people here, but they haven't bothered me.

The biggest drawback of Houston is the insufferable heat and humidity that lasts from April through October. It's almost too hot wear a corset and wig some days!

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Since you are already in the South East, you could do worse than the people's republic of Brighton and Hove! You will also find a very good support group there called Clare Project
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

There is plenty of places to go in America, you read about them here all the time, I'm surprised sometimes where it is open to the LGBTQ community.
    Even in some small towns you will find friendly places, many bars will have one night a week, where they cater to the community as a way to boost there business.
    Can't say about the rest of the world, but it seems there are places all over parts of Europe mentioned here from time to time, so I know there are places out there.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Baltimore MD
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    I don't think it's the country so much as individual parts of countries (and cities).
    Yes, I think that's true. But the country does set the overall tone. For example, the USA is pretty tolerant overall, I think, and Canada is just slightly more tolerant. We're a couple of years ahead of the USA on gay marriage, for example, and Ontario has explicit protection for transgendered people.

In Canada, any large city has T-friendly zones. I'm not so sure about small rural towns in Alberta.

In Russia, things are looking very grim. Russia has set a regressive course.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbin_Sinclair View Post
    Any place with good music and a tourist trade. New Orleans comes to mind...and, of course, San Francisco. Key West is cool. Anywhere else in the US? Doubt it.
    You're selling a lot of the US short. Much of the West Coast is wonderful (Santa Cruz and Seattle I have personal experience with) and a lot of large cities are fairly progressive. The Northeast is also a good area. I haven't been to New Orleans in a long time, but it can get rough. There's still a lot of violent crime preying around the edges of the tourist trade.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Awfully broad question Sally. Seems we 'more interesting' folk congregate in regional clusters. Might be more meaningful to look at this question at the city or regional level. Allowing for that, North America presents quite a number of friendly communities. Many have already been cited by the other girls. I would add Chicago to the list as there is a fairly substantial LGBT community there.

I am not sure there is a country where we would be welcomed nation wide. However, there are numerous cities, towns and regions that accept us openly.

Have fun with your search and let us know what you decide.

Hugs, Robin

I'd imagine it would be San Francisco. Austin, TX. Is a pretty open minded city. And yes, Houston heat is unbearable.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Often I see on forums the question of where can a CDer go. Sometimes the response is a gay bar but in reality it is most anywhere.

Anywhere I go or have been throughout Australia and parts of the US has been a pleasurable experience. Only on extremely rare occasions have I had a problem and those have been my fault for feeling bullet proof in all situations. It comes down to attitude and the level of confidence we portray.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyS View Post
    Silly question perhaps? but which Western/Industrial country is considered the most open and tolerant when it comes to all us more 'interesting' people?
    Hi Sally

I actually think it's a thoughtful question. I believe Nations are learning as a "whole" just as we indiviuals are. It would be Grand if the world became one( and I'm not talking about New World Order and all that jazz). Just living Peacefully as one. Respecting "each" individual as "one" Nation.

Sorry, everybody can back too Sleep Now

Victoria got me thinking with her comment. Actually, we have the makings of a "Trans Nation" with the members of this Forum. Most of us are easy going and "live and let live" and we are all learning. I think we are observed as a community and how we get along more than we may realize though.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    My city Lexington Ky is a great place to live.With a gay mayor, a strong LGBT/Trans community and fairness ordinance in the law you can go about anywhere dressed any way you want.

Santa Fe, NM is pretty tolerant. So is Albuquerque (where I live). Actually, I think most big towns or cities have fairly large LGBT communities. I've lived in Memphis, San Antonio, Midland/Odessa... and there were always support groups or clubs that us "interesting people'' could attend.
    Change is inevitable...

The Netherlands and especially the city of Amsterdam has (had) the image of being a queer safe haven. A lot of the conditions are still there. The Dutch society as a whole has a 'mind your own business' attitude, a majority of the people are irreligious and (probably related) have a slight disdain for any form of authority.

Unfortunately, the door is also open for less tolerant people and there has been some notable regression in tolerance the last couple of years, some neighborhoods can be downright unsafe for openly 'queer' people. However, I still think that the Netherlands are ahead compared to many western countries. Some countries are still playing catchup in terms of same-sex marriage and adoption. Only recently a new law has passed the House of represantatives that makes it easier for very young transsexuals to legally change their gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylia View Post
    The Netherlands and especially the city of Amsterdam has (had) the image of being a queer safe haven.
    Unfortunately, I think the large number of Muslim immigrants is having a regressive effect on European attitudes. We see this in the Netherlands, France, Sweden and many other countries.

Even where I live (Canada), immigrant populations tend to be less tolerant of LGBT than native-born or second-generation Canadians, especially if the immigrants come from less-than-tolerant traditions.

Canada has a great laisez faire attitude. The one point that was missed here. Most parts of the world, particularly N. America are MUCH more accepting than a lot of girls give it credit for. I've said before, before bemoaning that your town is SO unaccepting, you have to go out first. If small towns were lynching Trans folks, I'm sure the media would have picked up on it.

Portland, Oregon- very open and accepting metro area, all the bells and whistles of a big city, without MOST of the minuses, plus, avg summer temp in the high 70s, avg winter temps in the low 40s.

The east coast USA has been great to me so far. I can go out dressed as female pretty much anywhere, and get treated with respect.