Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pierced ears - what decisions did you make and when?

Pierced ears - what decisions did you make and when?

I was just reading the thread about what you do to feel femme when in guy mode, and I noticed quite a few mentions of pierced ears.

I'm 62, still working in a rather conservative work environment, yet I'd love to get my ears pierced before I get to retirement. What led each of you to your decision to do it, and what self imposed mental demons did you need to conquer first? (Looking for some encouragement here, girls.)

:-)

Best,
    Rhonda

I graduated high school in the mid 1980's. Guys getting ears pierced was beginning to be quite common. By the 1990's doing both ears seem the norm. Today, doing only one ear looks pretty silly. There is no gender demarcation when it comes to ear pierrcing these days.
    Kids nowadays have gotten exotic with the elaborate piercings, especially with all the large "guaging" thing, especially the large plugs......not my thing.
    I'm still boringly one hole in each ear. And I still have no tattoos, except for the time I jabbed my thumb with a pencil in kindergarten, the black mark is still there today.

I am still procrastinating.

The jury is still out here.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I wanted them pierced, so I just did it. That was about 10 years ago, no regrets and not one negative comment.

Over 3 years ago, just did it because I wanted to be able to wear something other than clip on earrings.
    Older I get, the more I am doing what I want to do when I can.....
    As a side note, took some people up to a year to notice it. Others noticed first time they saw me.
    No one has said anything bad about it, to my face......
    Also stopped cutting my hair about 4 years back......

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Darling View Post
    I was just reading the thread about what you do to feel femme when in guy mode, and I noticed quite a few mentions of pierced ears.

I'm 62, still working in a rather conservative work environment, yet I'd love to get my ears pierced before I get to retirement. What led each of you to your decision to do it, and what self imposed mental demons did you need to conquer first? (Looking for some encouragement here, girls.)

:-)

Best,
    Rhonda
    to get my ears double pierced it must have been pink fog. or the fact I like earrings, been double pierced a long time now
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

I wanted them pierced, so I just did it. That was about 1 year ago, no regrets and not one negative comment.

I just had mine done in my mid 50s. I was worried about people noticing but I had a lull in my job where I wasn't seen by so many people so my daughter and I went down and both had ours pierced. It was easy and with only minimal pain. If you've plucked out a beard hair you've experienced far more pain than an ear piercing.

I was prepared to explain that did it to support my daughter, but of course the situation is actually the reverse of that. She loves her pierced ears and so do I. I've recently achieved that wonderful six-week tenure so I can change them and of course I've been changing them often. I found a nice card of 20 crystal studs at Claire's in a rainbow of colors for only $20 and it's great fun to match color to outfit, even in male mode. I also bought some dangly earrings on our last outlet mall trip and my wonderful spouse brought me some pretty shell earrings from a recent trip up the coast. It is so much fun to have options and to be able to wear earrings comfortably all the time.

Oh, and the only people who mentioned my earrings were my electrologist (who knows I'm TG) and my hairdresser (who doesn't). They both thought that they looked great!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I got mine pierced in the early 80s, no regrets and no comments even back then. I'm now 61 and no one has ever said one thing negative or otherwise. Its really not that big of a deal. The only thing you'll have to deal with is the starter studs you'll need to leave in until the holes are healed.
    Link to my flickr photostream:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kandybarr

Hello Rhonda,
    how are you , many (ok many,many) years ago it seemed to be the in thing to have one ear pierced so I was convinced to have mine done ( left ear was the usual thing ) after a short while it just did not seem right to have one ear done ( did not balance) so seeing that I had no bad comments about it I did the other one , then I got to know how nice it felt to have dangly earrings in so I started to wear them when I could and put in small hoops when I could not , well I don'r know how many wear hoops but they can be a pain to put in and do up so I came up with the idea that I would have two more holes so that I could keep them free to wear dangly earrings without having to mess with taking out and putting back the hoops , then I decided that the hoops did not look right and went to studs , quite liked the look of two studs in each ear so then had to make two more holes for my dangly ones , which I now have studs in , no I am not making any more holes just take out the bottom one on each ear when I want that feeling you get from dangly ones , be aware though that once started you can get hooked on wearing dangly ones .
    Have a nice day.
    JF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Being pierced well over 60 times (sometimes I just like putting needles through the places they should go, even when I don't insert jewelry) and having up to 10 permanent piercings at once, 4 facial, 5 on ears, and one somewhere else , I find it something of a rush, and just as quick as the pain hits, adrenaline takes it all away. Was pierced for the first time when I was 14, loved the feeling ever since, if its something you want to do, don't let minor pain or any social stigmatism draw you away from it, you'll probably get a decent amount of looks, but very very very rarely a negative one!

8 years ago decided to "Just do it".

My wife just laughed and thought it was funny.

I can now wear small hoops and studs in boy mode
    and big hoops and dangly ear rings as Andrea.

Love it.

I had wanted to do it for years and then my nephew who was about 15 wanted to get his done and asked me to take him. I decided that this was my time and did mine as well. At first it was just one ear, then I got the other done and said it was because I felt "imbalanced". Then later I had them both done again. Now I wear diamond studs in the uppers all the time and wear small gold hoops in the lowers when not working and whatever my mood and outfit dictates otherwise.
    People asked why and I just said because I wanted to.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Iam,
    just don't go swimming unless you have 60 water tight plasters handy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Haha unfortunately I don't get out swimming enough for that to be a problem!

I got mine pierced just out of high school. I just wanted to do it so I did. Now I have 7 piercings in my ears, 3 in one ear and 4 in the other.

I had my first ear done when I was twenty and then my nephew had both done so I used him as a excuse to do the other one. The funny part was when I did the second one I went to the mall, the girl there told me I had to wait for the girl to come back from her break, when the girl finally came ended up being the girl who lives 2 door down, she was surprised at my age I wanted to do the second one.

I have thought that it would be fun to have nice earrings at times.
    But I am not one for self imposed pain, Not so sure I could go thru with it.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Gold Member
    I certainly didn't do it while in the Army. But 4-5 years ago, I had already started growing my hair out and I kept joking with my wife about getting my ears pierced. My youngest daughter was around to hear it too. My wife knew about me and my daughter didn't, yet anyway. It happened to be just before Christmas, so they pushed me over the edge on deciding by buying me a gift certificate to ear piercing at a tattoo parlor. I don't know that I have heard much of anything about my ears being pierced. I hear more about my hair and that isn't a lot either.

I got my first piercings the day after i got out of the Army - single piercing in each ear. About year later, i got a second piercing in each ear.

That s # 1 on my bucket list right now...

I pierced my left ear back in the mid 80's sitting by the swimming pool playing dominoes with some friends. The right ear I just had pierced six weeks ago. I let my wife pick me a pair and she chose a pair of pink peace signs. I haven't gotten as much as a single comment about both ears being pierced.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

I first pierced my ears when I was 15. At that time it was just a single piercing in each ear with small gold studs. Around the age of 17, I added a second set of piercings so I could wear both studs and danglers at the same time. I have since added three more piercings on each side for more studs. One warning. Never get triple piercings into the cartilage per side at the same time. OUCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Raychel View Post
    I have thought that it would be fun to have nice earrings at times.
    But I am not one for self imposed pain, Not so sure I could go thru with it.
    Raychel, the pain is minimal if any. For me the click of the insertion tool was more prominent than the sensation of the stud going in.

I watched a little girl, perhaps 5 or 6, getting pierced today in Icing. They did both of her ears at the same time and she didn't show any sign that it hurt at all. She was smiling and laughing with her mom and friend. She smiled more when she looked at her pretty crystal studs in a mirror!

I wore clip-on and magnetic earrings before I had them pierced, and the discomfort from wearing them for an evening was much greater than that of getting pierced. It is so great to be able to wear any earrings I want and to not feel an ache after wearing them all day!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Im had my left ear pierced since high school, over 25 yrs ago. I finally decided a little better than a month ago to have the other done. I mean why buy earings if you can only wear one, right?
    Well a few days later my son questioned me, then two weeks later my ex-wife looked at me and questioned it. Now just today actually my mom brought up the subject. But oooo she kinda brought it up in a fashion of not why, but what was the REAL reason. Ive never been good at asnwering questions so I just shrugged my shoulders and didnt say much. Moms always have a way of figuring things out. I guess we will see where it goes.
    Erica