Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Members?

British Members?

How many British members or on here and how do you find acceptance? I am in Glasgow area and don't find it too bad

Really? I hear a lot of negative things about Glasgow in terms of acceptance, but of course that won't apply to everyone there. I'm way down south-east and people are pretty accepting overall, rarely come across anything bad. There are area's very nearby that I wouldn't dare go to dressed though (generally I try to avoid them in general too)
    Bi-Gendered, Goth/Metal Fan, Atheist, Artist and British

not quite silver yet Emma Leigh's Avatar
    Would,nt chance it in Yorkshire but Manchester and Canal Street is only around an hour or so away with all sorts of trangendered goings on there including Cascade for crossdressers, have,nt been yet though I keep meaning to

Quote Originally Posted by xdressed View Post
    Really? I hear a lot of negative things about Glasgow in terms of acceptance, but of course that won't apply to everyone there.
    When I say accepting, no-one has ever looked at me weirdly or questioned me. I do tend to keep myself to myself tho, so maybe people don't realise I don't know lol

When I have visited Glasgow, I have felt uneasy and felt it was a bit redneck there.
    Another place is Liverpool.
    More of a harsher climate when walking into pubs than other places.
    I must admit that most of the pubs I have been in have usually been in the countryside and they are very different to city pubs.

I do like shopping in London, I felt at ease and the Way Out Club was an interesting venue one saturday night.
    Every town has a Farmer Brown and he has not always been receptive to strangers of any kind.
    Last edited by Beverley Sims; 08-05-2013 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Last para edited.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

It really is all about location. Having been born and brought up in the Glasgow area, there are areas of the city that I would avoid both in drab and en femme, just like any major city you could name. Beverly, to label the place as a ´bit redneck´ is a bit over thet top, don´t you think?.

Having lived in Hampshire and Somerset, both of these counties seem generally accepting, Bristol especially.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I'm an hours drive east of Glasgow, in central Fife. On the whole things aren't too bad here.

I live just outside Glasgow, when out dressed I've not noticed anything negative, but that's not to say what they say when they get home and talk about seeing us.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    I think in general, every place is a danger or trouble spot if you meet the right moron.

Have to say Bristol has fond memories for me, as it was home to me for a couple of years and the people are the friendliest I've met. Love the place.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

I live in Devon.

Self acceptance is the most important bit. Hard I know as it takes many years.

You must learn to be yourself, instead of caring what others think.

I think there are lots of UK members on this forum.
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

Aspiring Member
    I live some way north of Glasgow and travel a lot in Scotland completely dressed and sometimes just as a man in a skirt. People rarely react, let alone comment,and the few comments I get are ALL positive. I pass at a distance but not to anyone people watching or directly interacting with me. I have been to York lots of times and everyone was lovely except for one shop owner who wanted me to try things on in her storeroom - and she is no longer in business. I have met lots and lots of lovely people when out dressed - ones I choose to interact with. If you smile and are nice to people you will find they are nice back. I have my favourite shops where they welcome me by name and know what things will go with items I have already bought. Even Debenhams in Ocean Terminal in Leith say how nice it is to see me again if I have not been in for a while.

Judging by the comments on this Forum from the other side of the pond, we have it pretty good in the UK. I see two people have said it is not too bad. I think it is great.

I'm near Preston, Lancashire. I think I pass fairly well usually. I've only been going out in public with any regularity since May last year, but I've only ever had one comment - and I think the bloke was confused as to my gender. There was no animosity in it. So far I've been shopping en femme in Preston, Chorley, Lancaster, Bolton, Blackburn and Southport - all with no problem whatsoever, including travelling there and back by bus.

I've had several nights out on Canal Street, Manchester and have been to 2 Sparkles, in full Kathy mode of course!

Emma - you have hit the nail on the head with self-acceptance. Once you've reached that stage, and can go out knowing that you have just as much right to be there as anyone else, it makes a huge difference in your being accepted by others. Or, probably more likely, they stop seeing you because you no longer stand out as a frightened person.
    **-* Kath *-**
    Let them see that their words can cut you and you’ll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can’t hurt you with it anymore.
    ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Banned Read only
    I live in Manchester, and lived in London for a number of years also. As to how many British members that are on this site, I have no idea.

Must be OK in Nottm, I saw a MTF CD today sat on a window ledge of a bank with a couple of other people, I clocked her straight away, but no one batted an eyelash
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

I'm from Leicester. Apart from being on sites like this, I'm well closeted, even though I accept what I am. If I did come out, or venture out, I'm sure most people wouldn't have any issues with me at all. I would still feel vulnerable though, with people seeing me dressed, or even knowing about my dressing. I look dog rough close-up as well, so it's not going to happen.
    C

The only time I ever went out dressed was about 4am on a summer morning, many, many years ago .. I took a "turn around the block" in a print cotton summer dress in suburban North Leeds .. god only knows what I'd have done if I'd have met anyone .. run like mad, probably! I was barefoot if I remember right.

I live in Cornwall now, it wouldn't cross my mind to go out dressed in Camborne or Redruth, but I've definitely seen one M2F CD, and probably two others going about their business in Penzance without any apparent worries
    It's complicated, then again it's simple ... where did I put that skirt?

Hi amanda,

I live in London and most of the time I only dress in private. But now and then I go out to a TV club. In general, people in London are very tolerant. But you do have to be careful because there are unpleasant people wherever you go. A bit like Brenda, I remember going out fully dressed for the first time very early in the morning many years ago. Scary, but very thrilling!

The Village in Birmingham is really good, it's the gay village, but they are accepting of everyone. Me and my SO had a blast last time we were there Manchester is great, especially when sparkle is on, met a lot of people there
    Administrator

Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

I have been to lots of places in the uk and never had a problem

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Perth, Carlisle, Newcaste, Bardford, Hull, Liverpool, Manchester, Southport, Brighton & Bristol.

I have only recieved about 5 comments which where not nice in all of that time. A lot of these times I was on my own which can be seem by some as more difficult.

As long as you dont do stupid things then you should be fine.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

And you've been to my house Shelly, albeit in drab
    Administrator

Amanda,
    It was an easy expression to use, "redneck" certainly not the US kind.
    I have only had stimulating differences of opinions with people in Glasgow.
    No aggression whatsoever so I will retract my statement.
    To Emma, about Devon, I have an old school girl sweetheart down there that I visit.
    I would not want to disillusion her by being sprung.
    Yes my wife knows her and thinks she is strange.
    A nice friend though.

Tamara,
    Nottingham has to be okay, they put up with Robbing Hood in tights for years.
    Last edited by Beverley Sims; 08-06-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Last Para.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Just spent a weekend in Yorkshire at Harrogate, no problem with acceptance. Went out to afternoon tea at Betty'sfollowed by shopping in Debenham's. Found a lovely dress in the sale and two pairs of evening shoes. So parts of Yorkshire are not that unaccepting,but it was not Bradford.

I live in Ayr, Scotland but of course I'm here as a friend/associate who wears kilts all the time. That in itself is quite unusual as most of the Scots here will probably agree as kilts are mainly worn for special occassions and not so much as everyday attire. I like wearing a kilt and so I have 5 and wear them most days where I can. Ive always found that people accept that in good part though its not the same. I think in the main parts of Glasgow and Edinburgh most girls would be accepted and lets face it people talk about anyone really. I get a lot of people who ask me why I'm wearing a kilt and I just say because I feel right in it. They usually just say'well fair enough'

Quote Originally Posted by Kiltie View Post
    I think in the main parts of Glasgow and Edinburgh most girls would be accepted and lets face it people talk about anyone really.
    My first ever venture out in public was an eyeopening weekend in Glasgow. All weekend (shops, bars, restaurants) with only once a frown - that was in the Apple shop and on the way back out, the same sales girl smiled apologetically. (She saw I'd bought something from a colleague).

Just look as if you own the place and you'll be fine.
    love

Cat

I'm British, but live in San Diego, CA. They are pretty nice here, but some people can be rude about it. I'm curious how accepting they are in my home town of bishops stortford...