Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, I'm thinking about work and....

Ahh this makes sense then. I would check on the laws in your state. Then, assuming your protected by law, I would contact your H.R. dept. one doesn't want to go off half cocked as it were.

I wish you all the best on your journey. May it be all fair ends and following seas. When the storms do come I hope you have the supports in place to weather them.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

"Luke, I've got a bad feeling about this"
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

My uneducated guess is that if you meet your company's dress code, your boss won't say anything. Unless your attire causes issues at work, like, everybody standing at the water cooler talking about your clothes rather than working.

Deedee
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    Great, throw gas on the fire and watch for the fallout!!!
    She can always get another job after she looses this one.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    Great, throw gas on the fire and watch for the fallout!!!
    I think what Sara and all of us are saying is this:

We get it. We want people to know our "little secret" because we want acceptance. We want to share our fun with the world. The problem? Many in the world just aren't ready. Many in the world run the gamut from "couldn't care less" to "grab the pitchforks and torches!" Do you really want to take the risk that your boss is one of the Pitchfork Brigade?

What if he or she doesn't keep it between you? What if he or she is so disgusted that they find a reason to fire you? Think. And then think again.

Kathi

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by arbon View Post
    I think it would be great if there were more open CD's in the work place.

you should do it.
    Outings are always good for the cause but rarely for the individual. As a practical matter, I would not want anyone representing my business that made my customers uncomfortable. Now, before I get ripped with a "What if black people or women or Irish made your customers uncomfortable," attack. It's clearly different with a cross dresser. Someone in transition is another case. Customers can "understand" that. They may not like it, but they can process it. The "normals" can't process cross dressing on a wide scale.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 08-10-2013 at 06:19 PM.

What Jennifer said AND: I work for a very "accepting" company. We very recently had an employee announce he was transitioning. No problem. He will present full time female from now on. The company supports that. If, however, an employee said they want to kind of, sort of, maybe gender shift on occasion . . . . well, the rules are't so accommodating. It's far too disruptive to the other employees. Maybe one future day acceptance won't be so limited.

I certainly agree with Jenniferathome - why the overwhelming desire to out yourself to your boss? I cant possibly see the benefit of it and the potential negatives are way too serious want to risk.

I think it depends on the cut and style of the pants, whether they're recognizable. I wear khaki pants and chambray shirt for my job (sort of an unofficial uniform). The shirts are provided by my boss, I buy the pants at a local thrift store. I wear a size 31/29 which can be difficult to find in a men's size (small waist and stubby legs). I have found khaki pants in the womens section of the store that are a perfect fit. The only difference I've seen is a shorter zipper on the front fly and as long as I wear my male belt, boss and co-workers haven't noticed.

My advice is to give it a try and see if there's any negative feedback. If the pants you're referring to are noticably feminine, there may be some double takes but you'll never know until you try.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Jenny:

If you're with a rank and file hotel company, or especially if its a smaller or family owned chain or business - be very careful. However, if a larger, quality chain, they will likely have progressive personnel policies - policies that are supportive of, and mesh well with, their customer satisfaction policies.

The Marriott Corporation simply amazed me with their corporate diversity policy and the accessibility of their management to customers with concerns. My first time ever (I'm 62) traveling en femme was earlier this year. I was going to Florida for business, traveling from home, thru airport and TSA to Fla, then rental car to hotel and Hotel checkin - all dressed up. Marriott's web site has a huge section on diversity, ad all that they do for the LGBT community. I wrote them in advance asking if all that was real and could I count on being received as a woman if I presented as one. I didn't tell them in advance where I'd be staying. I got a great note back assuring me that they stress gender diversity in all areas of their enterprise and assured me that all would be well. They were right, and I told them so after the trip was over. I got a nice handwritten note back from BILL MARRIOTT, thanking me for staying with them and for taking the time to express my concerns and trepidation - again assuring me that they truly and seriously care about our community.

I write all that to assure you that there are enlightened employers out there in your chosen field, and to suggest that when you transition, you will likely be able to find good work in a workplace that respects you for who you are.

All he best,
    Rhonda

Jenny, I didn't see anything in this thread about you being on HRT, which I've noticed elsewhere. As your breasts continue to grow and other body parts change, the talk with the boss will be inevitable. That's assuming you intend to continue on this path. Perhaps waiting until more development takes place, then you could consider transitioninng at work. Whatever you do, I'm on your side. Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

I have been wearing womens jeans to work for a long time now.. no one has said any thing.. well not to me.. of course most see me as fem anyway I think due to the long hair and nails.. with clear polish.. and the thinned arched eyebrows.. but other the that no one would think anything... well the shaved legs and arms might make some people think..but besides that ....lol

Starr, other than the uniform I have to wear (Wouldn't want to ruin my own clothes, anyway!), you've described me! The guys are always joking around, but I take it good naturedly. Anything to keep them guessing!

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

There are people that will need to know and people that do not need to know.
    My boss is one of those people that does not need to know.

He has voiced his opinions in the past of Transgendered people and I will not go there with him.
    I have given him my opinion without outing myself, and I will leave it at that.
    I will not have any of these types of discussions with him.

This and politics are off limits at work.
    for me anyways.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

I did just that, well tried. I worked at Cintas Document Management and had a Customer Service award a few months before I told them I was going to transition and work. I started out by telling the HR person and she said No Problem, so I told my Boss and gave him a two week notice. I worked for the company 2 years and 2 months to the day they fired me. It was two days before I was going to start dressing at work (dressing meaning Underwear, wig and makeup, we had to wear uniforms) that I was fired. They said I had a customer complain that I was rude. I was not rude only stating company policy. I was in 7th heaven, I was not rude I was finally going to be able to be myself at work and home, I was very happy and treated everyone with a big smile and greetings. Being rude to a customer usually would have been just a talking to, but they went to extreme measures, even when I tried to explained that I was just stating company policy.

Then my Lady of over 1 1/2 years left me as she said she wanted a "Man" not a woman.

It is alright to be a female and dress like a male, it is alright to be Gay or Lesbian, but for a Male wearing female clothes, the world come to a complete stop, the world is ignorant as Hell!!! Oh, but if you look good enough to pass and no one can tell, then that is OK. I had a friend crossdresser, she now has nothing to do with me and is living a wonderful life as a female. She can dress as a female and no one will ever know she is male unless she tells them. Even her voice is female, yes, she is on here that is how I met her. I believe the main reason she wants nothing to do with me is I stick out like a sore thumb, everyone knows I am a male dressing as a female, and it's not because I don't dress good, as I dress better than many females.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

That's not a possibility for me as uniforms are the required dress code. That being said, my closet is 90% women's pants, slacks and jeans with an odd pair here and there for "male" occasions such as yardwork, part of a suit and such. I'm not looking for anyone to notice and begin a dialogue on my choice, it's simply what I prefer to wear.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Well, now I had no choice. A co-worker outed me. I had the conversation with my boss and admitted everything. He said he hired a male, not a female. So, if I wanted to start coming to work as Jenny... I'd have to find another place of employment. The co-worker that outted me, I thought was my friend. He's bi and he says he's been thinking of dressing too. I even let him borrow some clothes. We've gone to gay bars together. I never told anybody about him. Why did he think it necessary to tell the boss? Oh, well... I know who NOT to trust.
    Change is inevitable...

And Jenny, now you know how your boss is going to react, I guess as you get closer to transition you are going to have to find another job. Start looking early, sounds like Marriott's might be a good spot for someone in you industry.
    Good luck going forward.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny CD View Post
    Oh, well... I know who NOT to trust.
    Yes - everyone.

Sorry, but something this "juicy" is just too good to keep to yourself. So again, although it might seem like a good idea, as you can see, it may not be.

Kathi

Yeah, I want to go full time at some point in the mid-future. Paul thinks I should now. Settle down, fella! Think I'll start looking for work that is possibly more accepting. Besides, I work so many hours... for little pay.
    Change is inevitable...

talk to your boss. Trying to be subtle isn't going to work. Is it important to you to reveal his? As state if you are a crossdresser with no plans to transition then don't even play with the notion. What you do on your time is your thing what you do at work is theirs. But if you think it is necessary to come out, tell your boss do not "surprise" them
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,