Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best and worst CD movie survey

Best? Undoubtedly, Just Like A Woman. Despite being from the UK, I had never heard of it until recently, then found it and downloaded it. Cried my eyes out at it because it could easily be me, but it was a very warm story with a nice ending.

Just Like a Woman (1992). I was surprised it took so long to appear on this thread. It was one of the first movies I saw Julie Walters (Mrs. Weasley from Harry Potter) in. Don't confuse it with the recent film which I don't think has anything to do with crossdressing.

I have looked but I personally think the best transgendered movie ever is called different for girls, it is an English film and a very heartwarming story, I don't think it is available anymore, but if you can find a copy it is well worth a look.

In my view the ultimate best-ever CD film has to be "Some Like It Hot" (1959 with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon).

Although I am also partial to Transamerica and Felicity Huffman.

The ultimate worst is "Killer Drag Queens on Dope" (2003, with, believe it or not, Alexis Arquette as "Eva Destruction"). The title is the entire plot. BTW, I believe Alexis Arquette recently played a boy in something or other.

And Neil Patrick Harris is scheduled to star as Hedwig in the Broadway musical "Hedwig And the Angry Inch," scheduled to open in the Spring of 2014. His comment, "Hedwig is a woman, so I've got to learn to walk in heels."

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    Last edited by Persephone; 08-26-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Anybody has seen "La Cage aux Folles"? It's not strictly about CDs but gay drag queens. But a funny comedy.

Saw LCAF at the Pantage's many years ago with Gene Barry in the lead. Great stage show. I have also seen the movie version.

For those who loved Julie Waters in 'Just Like a Woman', see if you can find a film of hers called 'Personal Services'. It is a very funny film with Julie as a woman unable to make enough money to pay the bills doing a "normal" job so a friend of hers talks her into taking on fetish clients as a domme. She ends up with quite an array of kinks, a French maid TV, a little old woman housekeeper/assistant who turns out to be a little old CDer, some light B&D, etc. Really is funny with all the officials of the town who get involved as customers.

Silver Member
    Tootsie and Mrs Doubtfire were biggest hits.

Most CD movies rate poor grades.

I'll add, the Hot Chick here. Hilarious movie, although probably more about body switching than crossdressing, but it was funny!

Not exactly a CDing movie per se, but Billy Elliot has a storyline that many of us may relate to, and there is a bit of CDing as well. (Highly recommended!)
    There is a newish Swedish movie called Cockpit, about a male pilot that has to "become" female to get/keep his job, but I have not seen it. (The cover showing his male and female persona is intriguing)

Aspiring Member Dawna Ellen Bays's Avatar
    Netflix streaming has "Ticked Off Trannies with Knives," which DEFINITELY doesn't help our community, but it's supposed to be "tongue in cheek." I hated "Too Wong Foo...", especially the scene where Stockard Channing goes into her "I'm a Drag Queen" monologue like she's giving an Academy Award worthy performance.

"Silence of the Lambs" is one of my favorite movies. I know the average CD/TV/TS-hating moviegoer would lump all of us in with Buffalo Bill, but the story clearly separated "us" from "them" by explaining that Bill was NOT a real transsexual, and that most are "passive" people. I never let that portrayal bother me. Interesting side note: Ted Levine, the guy who played "Buffalo Bill," has had a very successful post-"Silence" acting career, mostly playing "good guys."

I just watched about twenty minutes of "Just Like a Woman" on you tube, and i DOES seem to be the best movie about crossdressing

Has anyone mentioned (WHAT WOMEN WANT). Mostly moral worldview of a chauvinistic man who learns how to be caring toward women.

not really a crossdressing film so much though eh? ^^

but man that scene where his daugter catches him in pantyhose and he covers himself up with the bra

haha!

great stuff

and the maid (?) saying [IN HER MIND] so now he's a CROSSDRESSER?

My fave is Ma Vie en Rose, a Belgian film (in French) about a young boy who wants o be a girl. It is very transgender-y in nature.

My least fave is the 80's sitcom Bosom Buddies, which starred Tom Hanks.

...and one particular scene in Silence of the Lambs scared the living daylights out of me....which lots of other scenes in that movie did also

there was a semi (quasi) american remake (but not really?) of ma vie en rose which was... not so good!

can't remember the name of it... anyone know?

as for bad not much can be worse than white chicks (shudder)

I've been through the entire thread, and I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Almodóvar's "The Skin I Live In".

a couple that come to mind for me that i didn't notice mentioned are "flawless" with dinero and philip seymour hoffman, which i thought was an interesting premise but i don't really remember how the crossdresser was portrayed, and as a child of the 80s i really remember "just one of the guys" because i couldn't stop thinking about the scenario of starting at a new school fresh as the opposite gender like the main character did--we can dream right?

Like Christine said, the only one of these movies that depicts a heterosexual crossdresser in a decent light is "Just Like a Woman". But it's hard to make a movie out of a crossdresser. Face it, most of us don't challenge large corporations while posing as a woman, so the movie stretches reality a bit. The problem is that most of us are just average people, not real exciting, no cataclysmic events to speak of, so unless you have some far-fetched plot twist, we'd all make for lousy movies.

The rest of these movies show people who HAD to crossdress for reasons beyond their control (Doubtfire and Tootsie) or drag queens (Kinky Boots, Priscilla, Too Wong Foo, and Angry Inch), or transexuals (Transamerica, et al). The movies like "Switch" aren't really about crossdressing, since the main characters actually ARE women (even though they're men). Much of the time, as in Angry Inch, the main characters, the transgendered ones, are dealing with heavy mental problems. Some of us, admittedly, deal with things like that. But the vast majority of us are just regular guys who like to be girls some of the time. And the only movie I've seen like that is "Just Like a Woman".

I agree...."White Chicks" is horrid. No one, but NO ONE, would assume these clowns are really women.

Honorable mentions to "Normal" and to "A Girl Like Me", but it's really sad.
    Last edited by TGMarla; 10-05-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

it IS depressing... i thought of making a topic about it that every time a movies & tv shows depicting crossdressing comes up it's always the types you say... doing it for a specific reason or drag queens or the worst using it as some sign of mental illness or serial killer / pervert tendencies!

bleh!

and then on tv it's always done as a joke... ALWAYS... always joked about

bah!

I've been through the entire thread, and I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Almodóvar's "The Skin I Live In".
    !!!

shocked more that someone here even knows of that movie! loved it! and love almodovar! ...

that one is def. a very different beast... and almost a horror movie!

though i'm sure for some it would be quite the fantasy!

the woman they chose was super attractive

but man what a twisted movie!

When I saw 'Just Like a Woman' the first time I really liked the fact that it is based on a true story. Most of us can identify with many of the issues that faced Gerald; the ridicule from someone he loved, the ridiculous psychobabble from supposed experts, the fear of being clocked while going out in the daylight, the eventual pink fog, the romantic dreams of a wedding gown on that special day, etc.
    In Ma Vie En Rose, I identified quite a lot with the little boy and relived some of the hateful actions against him by family and family friends. In the Gwen Araujo story (A Girl Like Me) even though I am not TS, I hurt for her character so much. I wanted to be the knight in shining armor to rescue her and protect her and love her for who she is.

I think the recurring them that many of these movies touch on that WE can see is that the vanilla world seems unable to comprehend that we have feelings, that we can be emotionally hurt, that we want to be loved just like everyone else and that we are not pervs or monsters.

I have gotten into several long discussions etc on FB when someone posts a story about a TG child and the hatred and vitriol that spews out from some of these folks is unreal. Because of that, we need to have more realistic portrayals of all realms of legit TG emotions explored. I think we are saturated with murderous drag queens, child molesters etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mink View Post
    there was a semi (quasi) american remake (but not really?) of ma vie en rose which was... not so good!

can't remember the name of it... anyone know?

Bruno with Shirley MacLaine, Gary Sinese, Joey Lauren Adams, Kathy Bates, and so on. Pity the script didn't live up to the casting.

I, too, am not such a big fan of Rocky Horror. I mean, here's a movie that purports to be one where you should feel free to be an individual and your own self, whoever that may be, and yet, as an audience member, you chant programmed responses at the screen like one of Pavlov's dogs. That duality always depressed me, kind of like that scene in Life of Brian where Brian shouts out, "You are all individuals!" to which they respond in unison, "Yes, we are all individuals!!!" and I feel like that one guy who mutters, "I'm not."

Although it may sound trite, Tootsie had it's moments where it showed it is not easy for some of us to makeup our male mugs to a point where we can try to pass.

I just Love being a Gurl! bobbimo's Avatar
    I vote top honors for To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar.
    But I recently watched "Peacock" (2010)
    Very disturbing movie, but it has some amazing CD moments
    Bobbi
    Aint nothin gonna happen that aint supposed too!

I think Silence of the lambs and the rocky horror picture show are the kind of negative image that cause our people to be marginalized by society.
    On the other hand I absolutely love Too Wong Foo!!! It portrays us as being the normal every day people that we are. It gives us a good public image. Yea ok; the drag show at the top was a little over that top but it's all good. When Vita led her merry band into the real word they were real everyday people and I find that a very positive example

I would have loved to see more of Peacock, the movie didn't give closeure.