Thread: Secure Employment Vs. Stress of Blue Collar Southern Industrial Environment

Secure Employment Vs. Stress of Blue Collar Southern Industrial Environment

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum, but it seemed the most appropriate one to me since I'm looking at employment as the most major issue for me as far as transition (have relatively supportive friends and family already)

My situation is that I'd like to try and begin hormones in a year, two at most, but being young at 25 still, I seriously have to consider employment options in advance. I've been working for almost a year as a nuclear mechanic at a shipyard, but with no previous mechanical experience before that. I have a BA in History and previous work experience only in fast food and a movie theater. My employment in this job would have at least seemed secure except I'm pretty sure mothballing of vessels is going to lead to big layoffs where I am in a couple years at most. While I actually like working with my hands and find what I do interesting, I can't see myself doing it long term due to the social environment anyway.

I have a couple benefits right now to where I work, and I'm looking for honest opinions from other people on what they think I ought to do based on realistic outlook on employment for a young and mechanically inexperienced transgirl:
    1. OVERTIME. As a nuke worker I can make a lot of money which I will need to pay off school debts and pay for things essential to transition as well.
    2. Building experience. I can continue to build experience as a nuclear worker, or maybe another job might pop up eventually at the company, which might be something to consider because of the third benefit....
    3. Full Education Tuition Reimbursement. I can only select one course of study which has to be relevant to the company. Given my time constraints and look at the credits, the possibilities include....

a. Associate of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology, focusing on courses relevant to power generation (turbines, renewable energy, fluid mechanics, etc.) in order to be able to look for jobs with utilities as a technician with nuclear or renewable energy sources. There are certain nuclear technician jobs I can possibly get into and get trained in now without the associates (Radiation Protection and Test Engineering)

b. 2nd Bachelor of Arts, probably in Communications, since already having a Bachelor of Arts in History means it would take about the same number of credit hours as the Associate of Applied Science in Mechanical Tech. This might be able to work out since I am trying to write well researched historical articles to write for the company relevant to our business.

c. MBA. Seems like it would be the most difficult to get, and I thus far have no job experience in marketing, finance, or management. Some of the articles I might write though might fall under marketing experience.

You have a lot of interesting decisions on your plate. You are also working for a very large ship builder, which I think is still owned by a larger conglomerate, which means other companies in the overall family that may be open to allowing you to transfer to work for them in the future. I attended a winter christening of a nuclear sub from the yard way too many years ago, maybe before you were even born. Let's talk first about careers. If you are interested in the industrial sector and also have an interest in the technical side, then stick with that Mechanical Engineering side. There is a vast shortage of good and young engineers of most disciplines in the USA and that shortage is also forecast to grow. That sounds like some great job security and a chance to be in demand. Also with that current hands on tech maintenance experience you will bring a unique experience to the office and technical environment that a lot of new engineering graduates can only hope to duplicate. The company you are working for, if it is the one I think, is big enough to have some great benefits, including insurance, is primarily a Government contractor (yes, one of those with the $800.00 toilet seats) and thus required to fallow very strict employment and anti-discrimination rules and regulations. That may come in very handy later when you may want some insurance coverage for some of those special procedures that will help you along with your transition.

To me it sounds like an interesting place to hang you hat for the mid to long term in order to complete your technical education with them contributing to part of it. Not too shabby.

Your communication education also brings an interesting and useful dimension to your employment growth. I have an MBA. I waited to get it after I had been working a few years, and I started it just up the road from the shipyard in Williamsburg, the second oldest university in the USA. So, for me, I think it will also add a lot to your pedigree and ability to rise within the organization. Now, I am not saying that you spend your whole life there,. If you perform up to your educational training and skills, you may be a very salable talent later in the open market.

One thing I would seriously consider and plan for is to try to eventually get that full BS ME degree. Just make sure that your technical courses are as applicable as possible for that degree, if you want to work on that later.

Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy one of the best areas in the USA that I have ever lived.

If you hang with what you got until the bitter end (assuming one comes), you get unemployment. Don't forget that part.

In the meantime, I'd look for trans-friendly companies. When/if the axe finally comes, you'll have two choices: 1) Look for a job in the field you've been working in, or 2) look for a completely new job. If, in the meantime, you find a trans-friendly company that is reasonably stable, your problems are solved.

But with the mothballing of ships comes another problem: how to deal with the nuclear material. You'll continue to be able to work in this field, rest assured, for quite a few years. The gravy train will run out sooner or later, but it's not as soon as you think it is. And I'm guessing that when that mothballing happens, you'll be in a better position to out yourself where you work because while competition may be fierce for your job, you be the best at what you do and nobody will second-guess it. I've seen that personally, and wish I'd taken advantage of it when it was there. Different field, but the "best at what you do so who cares what you wear under your pants" dynamic plays into it.

It will be extremely difficult for you to transition in that type of work place,doing that type of work. Like Danielle suggested,a move toward engineering would give you a valuable career with far less physical demands,and far more accepting coworkers. The blue collar work world of a shipyard is not kind to those of us that are different. And that advice is coming from someone that has a lifetime on the waterfront...
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Platinum Member
    I would stay where you are to build a wok history and pay off bills before endeavor g towards higher Ed. Then, If a year or two from now you still are interested, B is a non starter. C requires a lot of undergraduate study, and MBAs are not all the same. the value of the MBA will spend on choosing a field that is more demanding than say, marketing.

I was thinking tonight while out rollerblading...If they take lunchboxes to work,you don't want to transition there!

An AS in Engineering is WORTHLESS. I have one, and I'm turning wrenches in an auto repair shop that I worked in before I stepped foot in school. It is WORTHLESS. You will have people say you're overqualified or underqualified for the job, and you won't get a damn job. Unless you lie about the degree, which is a reasonable course of action.

I think an AS in Engineering has got to be the most worthless degree you can get. You're not qualified to be engineer, but at any other job they think you're going to jet as soon as a better opportunity comes, but none such opportunity is forthcoming.

So, don't get the AS. Either commit to the four year degree which allows you to work under another engineer as an apprentice, or do something else. If you don't want to be an engineer and just want the degree, then consider your post-graduate options.

But the AS won't pay for transition in any way, shape, or form. Trust me, I make minimum wage most weeks because the shop is slow and that's my base (I'm a commission mechanic).

Procurement and expediting, sometimes going hand in hand can be a good career path in larger companies where they will pay you for your skills and work efforts. Smaller companies tend to pay less and have less job security. I always worked with very large engineering and construction companies where they had large stand alone procurement departments that also did expediting and in plant inspections or coordinated them.Supply side planning and procurement analyst specifically I am not to sure exactly what they are. May be similar or totally different. New age and new terminology. Looking at the titles that you used, it sounds like scheduling the procurement and deliveries in a "just in time" way to minimize early cash flow and high inventories subject to loss, theft and damage. You may want to study industrial engineering where they analyze work processes in order to maximize them.

Any engineering degree will be gained through mathmatics. It is almost all math, because there is no other way to explain things. If math is a weak subject then I would recommend to really brush up on it or seek another route if it is too daunting.

I do not think an AS is worthless but it is certainly not as effective as a BE or BA. That said the real thing that gets you the job is having experience. To gain job security, learn to do something few others know how to do.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Crazy Lady
    An associates degree in mechanical engineering technology doesn't get you out of the shop. An associates degree in engineering indicates you are working toward a full ME degree. It still will not get you out of the shop but it does indicate your career direction. A BS in ME Technology did not help several of my friends advance above being a drafts person until they had years of experience, and I am talking about 10 or 15 years in design. But an MET does open up doors away from your present line of work if you want change. Mechatronics is an up and coming MET area, but I do not know job prospects at this time. Mechatronics requires a higher level mechanical technician capability.

You sound as if you are old and have no time left. Even if it took you 10 years to get a degree. You would still only be 35. God I wish I was 35 again. Find something you like and have passion for. You find a career with those 2 criteria, I guarantee you will never feel as if you are work another day in your life. Explore different career options. You have much more time than you think.

In this day and age there is no such thing as job security. Learning a skill not many know can help, but not a sure thing.
    Last edited by stefan37; 08-17-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Silver Member
    You are very blessed to have such a job without any college degree or previous experience; I know plenty of folks with college degrees who are earning only enough for a minimal existence and never got to even use their degrees. I would not pass up such a golden opportunity and stay the course, with the hope of something more accommodating to you down the road. It is so much better to get on the right career track when you are young, your odds of success increase with experience, but do not increase with age, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 08-18-2013 at 03:18 AM. Reason: political rant removed

Your work experience may take you places you never imagined. Explore your options, find something you have passion for. That will guide you to success. Money is important no doubt, but not as important as happiness going to work daily. You can can make lots of money in a job you hate, however you will never be happy or have satisfaction.

You are young and have your entire life in front of you. I have an employee I used to work for and he now works for me in a trade he would never have imagined 3 years ago. He is 54 and having a blast. You never know where you may end up.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

It sounds like what is termed "a hostile work environment" and your first need, IMO, is to find another job before anything else. You are in a much better position to do so if you are already employed. As has been already stated, in theory, the larger the corporation, the more likely they are to have a non-discrimination policy in place; realistically, there are always ways to get someone gone who doesn't "fit in". If you don't plan to stay there much longer, you can usually rope-a-dope (if this confuses you, see Muhammed Ali) them to give you the time you need for other arrangements (although it helps immensely to have a union, even a not very good one, to assist you).
    If you are relatively young & unattached, consider moving to a different locality; this will give you a much wider choice of employment. Make sure to check out potential employers thoroughly before accepting an out of state offer and keep at least enough money in the bank to get you back home, just in case. Government and health care appear to be the only things close to growth industries these days, so proceed accordingly.
    Good luck,
    Donna
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

No bodies job is safe in this era. Fine take the office job. Will you be happy working in an office?
    Stay the course for now make as much as you can. Then move on. If you truly feel you need to transition get some therapy, and start hormones. You can easily hide any physical changes for at least a year. Gives you time to find options. If that work environment is as poisonous as you suggest. Transitioning in place will be the wrong move. You really need to dig down and ask yourself. What do I want to do and what would make me happy? Find those answers and you are on your way. There are many career paths available. Passion for the one you choose will make the difference between happiness and misery. Making a lot of money but deploring what you do is a disaster in the making. It is fine shouirt term, but poisonous to your well being long term..

Why can't you reach out to that person in the other part of the yard? Are you restricted by clearance regs? If she has transitioned in place and is respected then it can be done. But know this. Transitioning in any job anywhere will be no picnic. Not in a company with strict antidiscrimantion rules or not. Transitioning in place takes a tremendous amount of self confidence and resolve. You have to own what you are doing. It will not be easy. Maybe you should make and save as much money as you can, find another profession, transition and then find a job.

There are no easy answers. Only you can determine your path and how you want to proceed. Your huge advantage is your youth. The world is yours. Go out and grab your share.

Do you have a lunchbox,too? lol Your "history degree" is only proof of being educable,nothing more,in the "heavy industries" like the shipyard world. However,your ability to study and retain info,can be put to better use in the "shipyard office" if you really see a future for you there. Rules and regulations,product guides,MSDS sheets,safety procedures,all have to be read and retained by management[project managers,etc]. Many people are good working with their hands,have great mechanical sense,but are unable to comprehend written material as they don't have the "educational experience" that you may have. You won't survive transition with a lunchbox in your hand in the shipyard world, so change course a bit. I work for myself in the commercial marine world and "just can't do it" in a dress.

Generally, the closer the physical location to the management, the better chance you have of some protection, so if there is a way to transfer to another job within the organization it may be safer for you. It also helps to befriend some of the lower echelon workers in those offices in order to keep your ear to the ground. Office gossip can give you early warning of any changes in the weather; but you'll likely never hear the one that gets you, as it may be worth someone else's job if you are told.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Wish you well, any employer can get rid of some one if they want even with a union which can only help so much and the good old boys are tough to tolerate, I know, done it for years. I got my A.A.S. when I turned 24, military reluctantly came first(draft). You are young enough believe it or not, even at age 60 I'm still not to old to do all the things I want to do. You do have any number of choices in front of you, but in the end it is entirely up to you. If you can manage a good gender therapist, psychiatrist will be some help. Good luck.

All I can tell you is that as our national economy continues to ever more integrate into the global economy, Global Logistics Companies (think FedEx, UPS, DHL, and a host of others) all continue to grow, expand, and become ever more lucrative. So getting a degree in Supply Chain Management is certainly not a bad idea, and quite likely, as has already been pointed out in some other responses to your post, your company (being a very large govt contractor) would probably have a number of positions open for a person with a Supply Chain Management degree and previous good company work experience.

Your shipyard work, (even though it is a manual job), does require quite a bit of technical aptitude, which you have demonstrated you were able to successfully grasp without having any previous formal training in it, and, because you work on US Govt nuclear propelled ships, it shows you can pass the requirements for a security clearance. Both of these attributes, combined with the right degree are quite desirable these days for any person to have who is looking to go work for a government contractor, and trust me, govt contractors are looking for folks with these attributes also.
    Last edited by Sarah V; 09-02-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine

Just Do It

AK girl, does that mean Alaska girl? Just had to ask.

I have some engineering degrees. Yes, lots of mathematics, and most importantly, lots and lots of hard work. But first - as a young person I was a commercial fisherman on the north Pacific off the Oregon and Washington coasts. My friends were losing fingers, breaking arms, and falling overboard into water so cold you have about 20 minutes to live. I figured there wasn't much of a future in that life, so I went inland to a community college to become a motorcycle and diesel mechanic. I didn't know math from english. I just knew I wanted to live a long life and have a good job where I could find work anywhere.

I took one math course, just on a lark since I needed to be good at tolerances, torques, things like that. Algebra 101. I did well at it. I kept on wrenching. I took another math class, this time Trig. I did well at it, too. Rinse and repeat that four or five times. All the while getting Very good at mechanic work. By the time I thought I might have something going with this math stuff I asked a professor what he'd do if he was me, getting good math grades, but for what? He suggested I look into engineering. Indeed. Now I have a bachelor of science in engineering (BS), and a master of science in engineering (MS), and pursued the PhD until the lure of real money pulled me out into the world. No more wrenching on bikes though, if you know what I mean.

The message is, don't let the math scare you off. It's like stacking blocks. Pay attention, do your homework, and give up all pretense of a social life of any form. You can play like a kid later. BTW, a bachelor's degree is kind of not worth too awful much now a days, and a BS is pretty much the equivalent of high school in the field of engineering.

Get your BS in mechanical if that's interesting to you. I'm a civil, and I love it. Mechanical (ME) is a great field, very interesting, and not so esoteric that you cannot relate it to real life, real things. Get a job and work for a licensed professional engineer (PE) who will accord you with "responsible charge experience." You need four years of that to be able to take your PE test. If you get a masters degree, then you only need two years of responsible charge experience to take the test.

Do this while you are young. 25 years old is Young, trust me. Just the sheer fact of a university education (Oregon State) opened up an entire world to me that I didn't have a clue that even existed. My life was totally and irrevocably changed for the better. It can happen to you too. But be aware, the only thing so far that is tougher than getting those degrees and licenses is being transsexual. If you can handle being TS, you can handle anything. No kidding.

All the best, Ann Louise, P.E. (LOL)
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

Aside from everything I previously mentioned to you in earlier posts,Norfolk/Hampton Roads is a very difficult area to get any professional support for your transition.I have a penpal in transition there that is really struggling and seaching for what seems to be nonexistant support.You really need to think over whether you really want to stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogina B View Post
    Aside from everything I previously mentioned to you in earlier posts,Norfolk/Hampton Roads is a very difficult area to get any professional support for your transition.I have a penpal in transition there that is really struggling and seaching for what seems to be nonexistant support.You really need to think over whether you really want to stay there.
    Norfolk is easier than the Peninsula where I currently live and am stuck if I stay working where I am. I do have a group of friends here who are all supportive of me knowing my plans to eventually transition, and they're great friends, but they're all guy friends and I can't really do a lot of girl stuff with them and they're always friendly but don't really understand a lot also. So yeah.... it's definitely hard to find support. I would far rather live in Norfolk than where I am right now.