Thread: Working Girl

Lost in trans-lation Carrie Ines's Avatar

Working Girl

Hi

Not been on here for a while, I tend to frequent this place when lost and looking for the knowledge only the sisters can provide but today is a little different and had to share!

The irony of this world is a beautiful, wondrous thing.

I work in marketing and today my work told me that I should pretend to be a girl online to entice our mainly male clientele.

So I am literally getting paid to be a girl! lol!

Platinum Member
    Did you tell them you need to dress the part to be convincing?

And, do they have any openings?
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Same question - can you suggest to them a test - you want to try to dress for the role? Maybe ask for a "costume?" Suggest an experiment to help you get into the role?

Good luck Carrie.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdress View Post
    Same question - can you suggest to them a test - you want to try to dress for the role? Maybe ask for a "costume?" Suggest an experiment to help you get into the role?

Good luck Carrie.
    Lol, i'd be crucified, I can soooo imagine everybody's face. But there may be an option to work from home x

Platinum Member
    Hi Carrie, That's a win/win if you can work from home no travel time and dressing.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Now there is a different slant on working as a girl.
    Put on the costume and get into character.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    For some reason "to entice our mainly male clientele" seems a little dishonest to me. I wouldn't like that done to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Marie View Post
    For some reason "to entice our mainly male clientele" seems a little dishonest to me. I wouldn't like that done to me.
    I agree also, that doesn't sound very ethical.

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

Banned Read only
    Nice work if you can get it! I love to see your boss' face if you ask to dress in character for maximum realism.

Aspiring Member
    Sounds good, but I agree it borders on the ethics of mis-representation. If the boss wants you to do this, remember that the boss is the boss. Outright refusal could lead to termination. That's another fine line. If you have no problem doing it, then do it.

When I was in purchasing I had many vendors and some were women. Yes, they did use their femininity to persuade me as sales reps. I could see the cues. One would even close my office door behind her and then give me a hug.

Just my 2 cents.......

Cheryl

Carrie -- not mis-representing -- just being your self, I know you will represent well !! .....................Debra

Yeah well it happens, but I agree its a little dishonest, but then again what is'nt these days, plus if you think we always on here talk about pretending to ourselves and being dishonest to people really quite a lot when you think about it, we are all not being 100% truthful in some ways.

Not really had time to get into that role anyway, too busy on other projects :-/

That sounds a little bitchy reading back, wasn't meant that way
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 08-21-2013 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Merged- please use the edit button

Personally, I wouldn't touch this one with a pole at any price. It raises ethical questions about both you and your workplace.

If the business goes under as a result of this, you could well be out of marketing permanently for a breach of ethical conduct.

I don't wish you to give any information damaging to you, but for the life of me I can't think of any scenario where someone can pretend to be female to entice male clients....well I can but that's probably not the field you are in. ?

Silver Member
    Unethical? Hello, didn't she say she was in marketing? Isn't that where you can say or do anything you need to do in order to get truthful answers from your target audience?

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    You should! See Mel Gibson's movie "What Women Want" for tips on how to make it seem like a perfectly logical request.

I find it a bit amusing that some of the girls who are questioning your ethics probably feel perfectly fine signing on as women on gaming sites and dozens of other places, maybe even a few dating sites.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Sorry, Persephone, that claim doesn`t describe me. I don`t have any membership on dating or gaming sites.

My bias is from engineering. Ethical breaches are not well tolerated in this profession.

Suzanne, if someone did what Carrie described in her opening post to get information from me, they would be waiting a very long time for a truthful response, if they get one at all. I tend to get a little suspicious when information is requested but the requester has no legal entitlement to the information, particularly if the request is the first contact.

I really could not work for anyone who wanted me to be blatantly dishonest. If they are so willing to be so dishonest with customers how do you think they will treat you?
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

If its marketing... can see how its dishonest compared to any other thing...nothing is as it appears in marketing. But, you are going to need at least a headshot to go with your persona...ask them to pay for a professional makeover and photo (would be a great teambuilding exercise!) I would draw the line at using a fake identity though once people are actually start doing business and there are probably laws agaist it....not to mention the damage to the company if word got out from an angry customer who felt defrauded.
    Chickie

Nice you have a great job

DDee

Personally I think it's great...Carrie, you should ask your boss for a stipend so you can get the proper clothes to get fully into the role.

Someday, I hope to wear a dress, nylons and heels to work and be the woman I really am.