Thread: Awesome Doctor

Awesome Doctor

I went to the doctor today for my quarterly visit. I have some chronic issues so I have to see my doctor every 3 or 4 months for a re-check.

So, after the exam, my doctor (a woman) wanted to know if anything else was wrong. She said I looked sad (read depressed). I told her about some normal stresses I was going through at home (read marital) and left it at that. She went out for a few minutes to get some paperwork for me, and while she was out, I thought to myself, what the hay.

So, when she came back in with the paperwork and turned to leave, I jumped in and said there was something else. I said this is "ears only" it doesn't go into my permanent record. And then I blurted it out. I'm a crossdresser, and my wife is having a problem about that. So we talked about how long she knew, and how long I've been doing it. She said you have to do what makes you happy. She said it's not a disease. She asked me if I had any pictures, and I said no. Then she broke protocol and walked over and gave me a hug. And thanked me for trusting her with this secret.

Right after she left, I remembered that I must have some pictures on my phone. OK, now don't laugh. My phone is a dumb phone, a flip phone. Anyhow, I went into her office and showed her the pics. I only had a few face photos (when I was trying on wigs), and a lot of pics of my painted nails. She wanted to know if I painted my own nails. Fingers, mostly yes, toes no. And she wanted to know if I did my own makeup, Mostly yes. And she told me I needed to bring in larger pictures next time.

Awesome doctor, or what?
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 09-05-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

girly girl
    the awesomest! It's SO nice to have someone that really cares as your Doctor.

Platinum Member
    Very much so. And she's right, it's not a disease nor a crime.

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    I want THAT doctor!

That's awesome Steffi and yes, so is your Dr. I bet it felt good to come clean with her. Now you wont have to worry about removing your toenail polish when you go for your exams!
    Link to my flickr photostream:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kandybarr

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Sounds good to me.
    Now lets just wait for negative conspiracy types to chime in.

That's great, Steffi. I have to do a physical next week and plan to discuss HRT and transitioning with her. I hope I get half the respect you recieved.
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Made me smile...

I don't have a GP so I see 7 different doctors for my ailments (good insurance). I have told two of my doctors about Miki. Neither gave me the reception Steffi got (WOW!!!), but neither expressed disgust or anything negative.

I believe doctors, like anyone else, want to have human contact; not just a hands-off professional relationship. They are bound by their professional ethics not to become too friendly, but every once in a while some, like Steffi's doctor, steps up and reacts to real problems like a human, rather than an automaton.

Good for you Steffi (make sure you pay your bill!)
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

I opened up to my Doctor about 10 years a go, and that was the best thing I ever done, he has helped me understand that I'm OK and not a weird o. I have been to appointments dress as Rita, his hole staff and I have gone to lunch together, it was one of the best things have done is to open up to my doctor. he has also helped me with my hormons.

teffi,
    Sounds like a great therapist to boot.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I went to my annual physical recently fully dressed and completely shaven, sans makeup, wig, and nail polish. (OK, before I get lambasted on what I call fully dressed - I mean not a single thread of male clothing. Panties, cami, navy blue short shorts, a new Kohls woman's baseball jersey, and sandals.)

At one point the nurse asked me to take my shirt off as she prepared the EKG machine. I took my shirt off, then my cami. She never noticed. It was sure nice being hairless for the EKG adhesive strips. Usually the nurse would have great difficulty making the pads stick to my chest and legs. Not this time . As she finished her portion of the evaluation she asked me to take everything off except for my underwear and handed a paper gown to drape across my modesty before the Dr. came in. For better than 30 minutes I sat as he examined and talked with me. Numerous times he had to see my Warner undies while checking my skin for melanomas, etc but he didn't skip a beat.

Aside from the day spa I occasionally visit, this was the first time I dressed knowing everything would be seen. No big deal! Another barrier demolished. No I didn't get a hug from my doctor but I didn't want nor expect one. I didn't actually "come out" and say that I cross dressed. I was just going about life in casual clothes I enjoy wearing.

some of them are rather awesome aren't they!

Just as a sidenote - usually you are led to a room and told to remove your clothes; DON'T DO It, at least not until the Doctor is there or nearly so. The exam rooms temperature is 5 or 10 degrees too cold for disrobing, so it is a good idea to keep it to a minimum.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Your Doctor sounds awesome, your phone not so much.

I too have to see my Doctor every three or four months and I told her that I was having some gender issues: I did this through the health care private messaging system. My Doctor then called me at home and asked if I would be willing talk to the Counselor who works in her Family Medicine module, and I said yes. After a pleasant two hour session with the Counselor I was referred to the Psychiatry Department and a Licensed Therapist. This all happened a little over two years ago and ever since then whenever I go see my Doctor I’ve worn sandals and my toenails have been polished.

I don’t know what all the nurses, and the other people waiting to see their Doctors, think, but my Doctor is cool. She explained that she wrote a thesis on crossdressing while in Medical School and she is feels she is more familiar with the aspects of crossdressing than your run of the mill Physician. She generally compliments I choice on nail color. We have talked about the pros and cons of my going on HRT, my Therapist has recommended it for mental health reasons, and my Doctor says she will refer me to an Endocrinologist when I’m ready to start as she sees some physical health benefits (I’ve had BPH for a number of years). However my Wife is totally against HRT regardless of any health benefits.

Yeah, it's nice to have an understanding Doctor.
    Babs

Stef:

I'm overjoyed that you had the freeing experience. This opens a whole new avenue to you - having a confidant who is a medical professional - who also seems to be truly and naturally understanding. Wow!

I've often thought of telling my GP, but can't get a read on his likely reaction. I do know that if I did, like you I would also not want it put on my permanent record.

Best regards,

Rhonda

Aspiring Member
    At my last physical (at Ft. Meyer) the civilian GP asked about my relationship with my long term GF (she was expecting that we would be married by now). I told her there was one issue that we still have to resolve, and then I told her about my Gender Dysphoria. She asked if I needed to see anyone and I declined, saying for now I am happy as I am getting out occasionally as Kelly. That was the end of it; no alarm bells or drama. If you can't be open an honest with your GP, you are putting your health at risk. If she noted it in my file, I am not concerned. At this point in my life "I am what I am".
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    I She wanted to know if I painted my own nails. Fingers, mostly yes, toes no. And she wanted to know if I did my own makeup, Mostly yes. And she told me I needed to bring in larger pictures next time.

Awesome doctor, or what?
    She may end up asking you for some tips. Be Ready

Banned Read only
    I agree with MysticLady, maybe the Doc. is curious and maybe she just might be more than curious. Should we all change to female Doc's ??????