Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What gender are you? This is NOT a poll!

Regular cis dude here. "Gender-nonconforming" is apt but I don't think of that description as its own gender.

I live in the Portland, Oregon area, with my (now) 18-yr-old daughter.
    So, for my part... my thinking patterns are typically male: fix things, understand how things work... However, I also enjoy shopping. So, to echo some movie theme - why does it have to be "or?" Why can't it be "and?"

Lee

Instead of multiple choice, maybe it should have been fill-in-the-blank.
    For me, typical male (who likes to dress up occasionally).

I guess my response to the question What gender are you would first be to find out why I'm being asked. If it's the government that wants to know, why my driver's license says I'm male, so there you go. If it's a psychologist I'd say how much time do you have and do I have to pay you? If it's about having sex I'd need to know what roles you wanted me to be. I don't actually ask that question of myself because to me it's pretty clear that I am what I am and that attempting to define myself as this or that has nothing to do with reality. I know I'm not a noun. But for the purpose of this poll, on a forum where the responses are quite varied and in many cases don't fit the terms offered, I would have to take Other. If that makes you giggle, frederique, I'm happy to have brought pleasure to your day

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post

Male
    Female
    Transgender – MtF
    Transgender – FtM
    Other
    I am, all of the above and none of the above. Sorry, for confusing you, again

Girl want-a-be......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams

Now that I spend more time dressed, I have to laugh when I fill out a questionnaire or a form that asks for gender and gives as options Male and Female. How about adding "Depends on the Day"? Or "Varies with Mood"?

I'm a boy who enjoys being a part time girl. I was thinking about the term bigender, I Googled it and of course it is yet another label we could use. I kind of like it, but what do I know? Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Well, let's see. My birth certificate which was issues in New York has an M next to the word sex. My current New Jersey drivers license has an F next to the word sex. So, since my drivers license is newer and more current I guess I am female, according to officially issued government documents.

As some have already said: there are plenty of other gender identities (or non-identities) to warrant an 'other' option in that poll. It might have been more funny/interesting if they had asked for your sex instead of your gender.

I don't know how I could pick anything other than 'male' (in Reine's poll) by the way. Cross-dressing is a rather shallow form of gender-bending (literally) at least in my case, and a few 'feminine' interests don't make you female.

Just a Brazilian Girl :) natalialimapoa's Avatar
    Appearance Context: male
    Brain Context: mixed male and female
    Soul Context: mixed male and female
    Just another brazilian girl.

Lets see:- Male X
    Female X
    Transgender M t F X
    Transgender F to M X
    Other X
    Must be Don't Know Then.

What a BIG room!
    Be careful what you ask.
    Crossdresser here. American.
    Do not assume you know so much, read and learn.
    Expect push back. You know jack.
    [SIZE="3"]Amy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Marie View Post
    Male alien!
    Good one LynnMarie. Put 'em together and it makes "malien". Think I'll use that in the future.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93
    I would remind everyone that there are 'other' gendered people, born with outward manifestations of both biological sexes...and more intersexed children are being born each year.
    OK, but wouldn’t you say that there are TWO genders, and pretty much all people have outward manifestations of one or the other gender? Also, isn’t “intersexed” the state of all children, and they grow, naturally, into their gender awareness through social interaction, peer pressure, and a need to belong? Perhaps this isn’t the place for THAT discussion, but it seems to me that there cannot be a pure M or a pure F – this site demonstrates that quite nicely, even though the vast majority of people pay scant attention to their inherent gender-fluidity…

Back in art school we had to do an interesting exercise in paint-mixing. Bear with me. You, the student, the fledgling painter, had to take two complimentary colors (such as red/green, blue/orange or yellow/purple), and mix them incrementally to create a range of hues (or shades) between the two colors. The idea was to show the student how many colors could be created from only TWO basic pigments…

I chose complimentary shades of red and green, and I mixed them carefully, say one drop of red with 23 drops of green, 2 drops of red with 22 drops of green, and so forth, painting a little swatch with each mixed color, plus pure red and pure green. When I got done, I had 26 swatches – bright red on one side, bright green on the other, and a range of 24 mixed shades in-between. In the exact center, the two colors neutralized each other, since they were exactly complimentary. Some would say that this grey color (for that’s how it appears) would be neither red nor green, but it was created from BOTH those colors and thus was made up of both colors. Also, this neutral color didn’t suddenly have a new name – it’s merely a “grey” mixture, or an “interesting neutral” in painter’s jargon, with reddish green on one side, and greenish red on the other, ready for more mixing. Those “other” shades also don’t get new names, or labels, since they are only mixtures created from the two original colors…

For the sake of argument, let’s say that that the genders, male and female, or female and male, are complimentary, and there are an infinite amount of “shades” between the two genders. IMHO, there cannot be an “other” gender, just in-between states, of varying degrees, just like my little swatch exercise described above. “Somewhere In Between” would be more accurate that “Other,” and it covers “undecided,” “gender-queer,” and “two-spirited.” Gender-fluid is also in-between M and F, but is perhaps (as the label infers) subject to change, or caprice. Try as I might, I can’t understand a term like “non-gendered.” It makes NO sense…

In the case of the “poll” I refer to in the OP, “Other” is nothing more than a convenient catch-all for those who are betwixt and between, for one reason or another…

Quote Originally Posted by Julie1123
    Freddy, I always get a bit excited when you post something new.
    Thanks! I get excited too, but for different reasons. Like I said in my last thread, I’m always skating on thin ice

Quote Originally Posted by MysticLady
    I am, all of the above and none of the above. Sorry, for confusing you, again
    You do it so well

Platinum Member
    Freddy, I would see the two genders as merely the opposite ends of a spectrum...if we're to use the color analogy, green really is a certain frequency of light which to us (generally) appears green...a slightly higher or lower frequency elicits a different response in our eyes. Color, and gender, don't have to be either-or.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm flaming so I'm not on the list.

I think "other" would be appropriate gender choice for many of us; or maybe "both". I think it is Australia where "other" is now a legal choice. IMHO "gender" and "sex" should not be interchangeable.
    Hugs, Carole

OK, but wouldn’t you say that there are TWO genders ...
    Have a look at the "Genderbread Person" diagram.

There are four different layers that comprise the total concept of "Gender": gender identity, gender expression, biological sex, and sexual orientation.

The members of this forum can be anywhere along any of those four lines. It's not as simple as saying there are just two genders, unless you are thinking of just the biological sex aspect but even then, there are people who are intersex.
    Reine

I personally do not like labels. I find that they create containers for bigotry. But, for the sake of the thread, I will say that every single person can be put under the heading of "Gender Tourist". It is then up to each individual to decide to travel or not.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93
    Freddy, I would see the two genders as merely the opposite ends of a spectrum...if we're to use the color analogy, green really is a certain frequency of light which to us (generally) appears green...a slightly higher or lower frequency elicits a different response in our eyes. Color, and gender, don't have to be either-or.
    Yes, I agree, and the genders that are sequestered at either end of the human “spectrum” can be perceived differently, depending on what one’s level of perception is. In the case of my color analogy (similar but different), I should’ve mentioned color-blindness – is there such a thing as gender-blindness? More importantly, when does all of this apart-ness break down, and we all become simply human beings?

BTW, I had another analogy ready to go, but I put it back in my purse. Maybe later…

Up front, I do not know a lot about labels. It seems all of my life there has been a feminine side to me, which I unfortunately (or not) kept very private about. I have lived my life as a male, so perhaps that is what I am and nothing more. But, that seems too easy. Being human and multi faceted allows for so many variables, and in this society, variations. The other person who resides inside of me might disagree, sometimes she does, but we mostly get on just fine. I like the term someone else used bi-gender, but confess I do not know its meaning and so will find out. I am me, he and she.
    Regina

i identify with being dual-gendered, i enjoy being a man, but i also enjoy being a woman
    You Don't Have To Be Female To Enjoy Being A Woman

I should’ve mentioned color-blindness – is there such a thing as gender-blindness? More importantly, when does all of this apart-ness break down, and we all become simply human beings?
    Totally agree. I have gender-blindness, which at times is a detriment when I post in this forum. I've never felt that male and female roles should be different. It is perfectly OK, in my view, to be feminine AND work on a truck or wrestle, just as men do not lose their man-cards when they join quilting bees or do some scrap-booking. I think that well-groomed men (the metrosexuals) are sexy, just as I think that a woman with no makeup on who wears pants is beautiful.

On this board though, there are many people who like to maintain a rather wide gender divide and distinct gender roles with specific looks assigned to each gender.
    Reine

i would say im male unless dressed up then im female so i would have to say other i think.