Thread: I told my mom!

I told my mom!

I walked through the door and my wife asked me “How did it go?”. I replied with “How did what go?” and I flashed a smile. She had to run out to complete an errand and said she wanted to hear everything when she got back. I went upstairs, turned on some music, and put on the new dress I bought to commemorate the evening. I had been trembling all week. My hands still shook as I applied my eyeliner.

Soon my wife returned and we poured some wine and I told her about telling my mom about my crossdressing.

It is now Sunday evening. A little more than 24 hours from the big talk. I sit at the keyboard, having a glass of wine, wearing a long, summery nightgown listening to Taylor Swift still trying to soak in the conversation.

I arrived at my mom’s last night and we chatted for a bit. Finally I started to talk. I told her why I was telling her. The reason for the revelation. The truth is I would like to have a better relationship with her. I want to more open with her. It seems silly in a way that my wife, my sisters and brother know the whole me, but my mom doesn’t. I can’t tell you how many crossdressers told me that they wished that they told their mom but now it is too late. I don’t want regrets. My mom will not live forever, and I want to tell her everything.

I rambled on about this for a bit until I announced “I’m a crossdresser.” She almost lept back in her seat, completely shocked.

“You mean, wearing women’s clothes?”

“Yes.”

I wish i had recorded the conversation so I could tell the story better, but it went well. Really well. All week I had prepared for the normal questions. No, I am not gay. I don’t want to transition. No, I am not a woman in a man’s body. Yes, I love being a male.
    But in the end, those questions were never asked. She was…awesome about it. She asked who else knew. She asked if I went out. She didn’t ask when I started, but I told her I’ve been dressing all my life. We talked about when I dress, we talked about my wife, and our girls nights.
    She felt bad that I was so burdened by this. I told her I didn’t feel burdened by my dressing. There’s never been shame or guilt or anything. No, she felt bad about my withholding it from her for so long not knowing how she would react. We talked about Hannah, and her life.

She told me she loved me and that she loves Hannah. She hugged me.

It was a very short, lively conversation. I shocked her with the reveal, as she hadn’t a clue about it. She shocked me with her reaction. There was no hesitation of love and acceptance.

I was stunned. I still am.

I saw her again today and she said she is still digesting what I told her. More questions and talks will arise, I am sure. I hope in my heart that her love and understanding is still there after this sinks in.

I am lucky to have the life that I have. To have the family and wife that I have.

I am lucky to have people reading my blog and offering me support and encouragement.

I am a lucky man. I am a lucky girl.

Love, Hannah
    www.hannahmcknight.org

Hannah,
    You are blessed to have a mother that is accepting and supportive of you. I wish I could tell my mother. She grew up in a different generation. I don't know how old your mother is,but I bet she is just a few years older than I am. I grew up in a more accepting generation. Being born in the 50's and growing up through the 60's and 70's. Cherish your mother. She is a treasure. Cherish your wife also. She is also a treasure, being an understanding wife. You are a lucky girl.

Robin

Thank you for sharing your story. I have been thinking about coming out to my mother as well. This gives me a lot of encouragement.

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for you! Thank you for sharing this. I love reading stories of love and acceptance. I don't understand how any parent could react differently. I know many do, but I sure don't understand how.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

My family has also been great and said that if that makes you the wonderful person that you are, then that's good
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    So happy that you have so much love and support!

Very happy for you and your whole family

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    This is great news, Hannah! It's much the same as what happened when I told my own mother, only I did it over the phone. (I thought it was especially important to do so, because she's responsible for my name, and I wanted her to know the name finally had a home.)

I think, in many instances, our mothers are the one person we can count on to love us no matter what happens. Your mom and mine have certainly proven that!

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Thats great Hannah, good on you and your mum for being such a loving and accepting woman. Love reading stories like this...

Hannah, that is such a nice story, I am so very happy for you.
    Stephanie

Hannah,
    I am pleased it went well.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Was really glad to read this on your blog - glad it went so well for you!

Platinum Member
    Hi Hannah, I'm so happy for you I just know that it will be a great relationship with your mom.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Awesome story Hannah, Great to have that off your mind.

I told my mother long before she passed away. And her reaction was very nonchalant
    We were talking about an ex-brother in-law at the time, My mother was more surprised that my
    wife could keep the secret.

Anyway, nothing changed between my mother and I, we were very close and could talk about anything.
    I am glad that all worked out well for you.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Very happy for you Hannah, you've done the right thing because sooner or later those closest to us usually do find out. Mine did in the 80s through pics I had to have mailed home from Korea by the developer when I had to leave earlier than expected. That's another story but suffice it to say the pics beat me home and my mom opened them, needless to say what they contained. Well I was out not by choice, and even though things eventually turned out ok it would have been so much better if I would have told them....
    Link to my flickr photostream:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kandybarr

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Hi Hannah,

Absolutely fantastic news that your mum (UK version) was so, how can I say,......tickety boo about it all! . I've been following your posts and blog on this subject, so really pleased that your life appears to be going from strength to strength. Long may it continue.

I could never have told my parents so I have no regrets there.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Platinum Member
    another hearty congratulations, Hannah.

Hannah good for you for telling your mom.She will accept you no matter what happens from this day forward.I know cause my mom accepted me from the time i was little and wearing my sister dresses.As i got older she would help me out with what ever i needed to be more of a woman.Just give your mom time to see where it leads 2.

Gold Member
    Yea Hannah! I am glad it was a great reveal. In the end we can always count on our mothers.

Thank you so much girls for your kind words! I also appreciate all the advice and encouragement you offered me over the last few weeks. I am so touched by it.

Love, Hannah
    www.hannahmcknight.org

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Such a great Mom you have I'm really happy for you.

that's awesome. i'm happy for you. my mother would disown me and my stepmother would make fun of me. my dad would come to accept me over time i think. i am always glad to read positive stories like yours.

amy

Congrats on telling your mother and her acceptance! Must be a huge relief! Someday I plan to do the same I think she may have an inkling already lol. Good job girl