Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: denial and acceptance

Silver Member
    It's one thing to have ideals and beliefs, another to confront them. You could be married to a liberal activist who has supported trans rights, and STILL hit the wall at home. Just the way reality works.
    Lea

Peoples attitudes on gender and changing gender kinda has that effect.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

A nice thread to read. Everyone's contributions were terrific.

Arbon, I know you started the thread with a comment on the bit of recurring self doubt, and it set a nice tone for others to follow up on. Sometimes those old negative self acceptance issues play for me too. You reviewed who has and who hasn't accepted you, and I think I get some of what you are saying. Last week a very good friend unfriended me and called off our weekly couples dinner plans that have been ongoing for years. I'm taking it hard; makes those old self doubts recur.

Kelly, nice analysis, I think your perception and explanations have matured nicely and sensibly. PM me if you have footnotes, and if you can clarify "we can change sexual identity." I mean I agree, but I think you left us (well at least me) hanging on the explanation. :-)
    Hugs,
    'lissa

"The second life isn't like the first one, is it?"
    "Sometimes, it's even better."
    ~ Elektra Natchios & Stick, Elektra (Movie) 2005, R. Metzner, S. Zicherman, Z. Penn

I think the denial comes from the fear of humiliation. That is what causes the denial FEAR. Fear of ridicule, fear of embarrassing family members and friends. Knowing that after you "come clean", which is what I perfer to "coming out" because while you are coming out to the world you are "coming clean" to yourself and it is very cleansing, you will most likely lose some family and friends as collateral damage. The day you come to grips with not worring about the humilation the fear is greatly lessened. The self-doubt will still be there, at least it is for me, it too is greatly lessened.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 08-28-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: The god bit belongs in the Religious Discussion forum
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell