Thread: offered a (remote) job in California

offered a (remote) job in California

Hello,

in real life I am a software programmer. I work mainly at home, using my internet connection. In these days I am doing some interviews with a software house in California which is interested in my skills.

I would have to work full time, with web cam and conference calls (mostly for me during the evenings, for the time zone difference).

The fact is... I am on the beginning of the transition. Should I tell them during the interview phase that I am transitioning, that I am on gender therapy and in the coming months I may start HRT to become female? Also if I am remote there is the web cam and I may present myself in female clothes... I would be "Marina", a "she", not more a "he".

Well, I am already "en femme", but for the interview I changed clothes because my profile in the job agency still is with "male"... with a male photo.

I know that this may be a silly question, but ... I ask to you because the firm is in California so you may know better and suggest me. The job is good and the pay is also OK (maybe for you it is not so OK, but for me in Italy is), so I would like to take it

(for the meantime I may save the job in Italy part time, because I am friend of my local boss, but I need money for transition so I would very like to switch as the new job gives more money)

I think that I should be sincere and tell him before he decides to hire me or not... in Italy usually during the interview phase some personal questions are posed (married or not, hobbies, etc...) but for now we have only talked technical issues so I don't know if for you it is custom to ask (or tell) personal information during the job interview.

Thanks.

It's not relevant to what you're doing so don't say anything. When it comes time to transition then do it. They won't care and it will very likely be a non issue on all fronts.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

thank you. I won't say anything.

Good choice. The day you can't pass as a man , then tell them. If you are good at you job, they will accept your femme self with open arms.

Anything that gives you more money for transition, DO IT!
    Good luck!

As long as the code is good they won't care either way. Don't complicate the issue!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Quote Originally Posted by bas1985 View Post

I think that I should be sincere and tell him before he decides to hire me or not... in Italy usually during the interview phase some personal questions are posed (married or not, hobbies, etc...) but for now we have only talked technical issues so I don't know if for you it is custom to ask (or tell) personal information during the job interview.

Thanks.
    I am pretty sure it is illegal here to ask some personal questions like if you are married, sexual preferences, and quite a few other things. I would volunteer nothing that doesn't pertain to the skills needed.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Quote Originally Posted by almostalady View Post
    I am pretty sure it is illegal here to ask some personal questions like if you are married, sexual preferences, and quite a few other things. I would volunteer nothing that doesn't pertain to the skills needed.
    that's another world. Here in Italy it is common to ask personal information, children, married status... especially to women (they want to know if you want to have children in the near future, to know if you will be absent from work for pregnancy).

I think that is exactly why it is illegal to ask those questions, it is a sign of discrimination in hiring.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Luckily, California, particularly the northern half (where Silicon Valley is), will most likely be pretty accepting, although you may be better off proving your value to them beforehand. Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)