Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piercing Insight (looonnnngggg)

Silver Member

Piercing Insight (looonnnngggg)

Two is NOT the same as one!

Clarity is less threatening than opacity!

The pain you get is less than than the pain you fear!

What am I talking about? Getting my ears pierced!

It's true that many males have pierced ears these days. Some have holes large enough to install those things you put in doors to see the Jehovah's Witnesses before you open the door. But did you know that the difference between piercing one versus two ears still makes the ground tremble for some people? And that's odd when you think about it, because after all, one is unbalanced and pirate-like. Two apparently, instantly, and permanently casts you out of the manly manhood club. Who knew? Had I known THAT, I would have done it years ago.

Except I wouldn't and didn't. I was too afraid of the manly man club blacklist. People snorting and choking, stifling their laughter after passing me in the hall. Being turned down for promotions ... "We just can't DO it, Snidely - those earrings!!!"

You can carry it off if you are cool, artistic, gay perhaps. Everyone knows I'm not cool or arty. I don't think anyone thought I was gay in the past, though hormones do have a way of changing your looks. What else might they think???

"OMFG! HE'S A TRANNY!!! Mabel, Rose - c'mere ... the new guy is a TRANNY!!!"

So fear might have something to do with it.

All right, Lea ... you're in transition. Gotta start doing stuff. Self, how do I finesse this one? I know - glass studs! Invisible, right! So down to the piercing parlor I go. (This after 3 drive-bys over 3 days ...) Very tribal place. Dark walls. Masks. Cases filled with things that plug into God Knows Where. But clearly they know the piercing business because the people that work there are bristling with metal, bone, bits of feather, etc. ... and that's just in the holes that are FILLED.

18 Gauge, 16 Gauge, 14 Gauge ... Gauge? Whattaya mean gauge? Gauge is for railroad tracks and plate steel specification, not earrings! What am I doing! Visions of railroad spikes and hammers occur to me. The manager shows me 18 gauge stuff. In a moment of bravado, I decide to go with 16 gauge. I'm wondering if that's gonna hurt more, but don't ask. I'm fully prepared to spill my guts as to why I'm doing this, but they don't care. They DO "sir" me constantly ... leaving me to conclude that it would have been better to spill my guts.

I swear as God is my witness that the tech did more thorough sterile process than what went down in my last OR visit. Repeated glove changes, multiple wipe downs of surfaces with different substances. Multiple swabbings of my ear. Sterile draping. This went on for almost 15-20 minutes! For pierced ears!!!! They AUTOCLAVED the needles (which were also disposable) and the earrings. But we swapped stories about little girls and sewing needles at sleepovers. He told me why it's a really bad idea to pierce baby's ears. And the placement of the piercings was tested, rejected, assessed, and measured 2 dozen times with digital calipers. We settled on the right spot - after which the manager came in to render her verdict. Someone else came in, too, that I think just happened to be in the store, but that was OK. It's not like it was at the mall kiosk.

Then, breathe in, out slowly, big breath, breath out slo... "OUCH". Hey! Not bad! Wait ... geting worse. No ... OK. Then the setup line: "Sometimes one hurts more than the other!" Thanks a heap! Same breathing drill, and ... "ow". Good - that was the BETTER one!

So, earrings installed, little baggie of special H2Ocean piercing spray in hand, off I went with glowing red ears. Oh, that invisible thing? Seems that depends on the light and angle. Dead on straight, you can't see them. But they look RED from the side! And they catch light and sparkle! Sigh.

And in a moment of fear returning, I had a brief panic attack. "I DID SOMETHING NOTICIBLE! PEOPLE ARE GOING TO SEE ME! THIS IS ALL A MISTAKE! RUN!!!" And as I got over THAT, I wondered how SRS might go ...

First reactions were all over the map. My wife noticed them INSTANTLY. Another said "you can hardly SEE them ..." And the third said "Red!". Sigh ... and I thought using glass studs would be my first excursion into stealth. So much for cleverness.

But I marched into work the next day confidently, fully expecting ... something. Looks, questions, remarks, smirks even.

NOTHING. Nada. 2 of the barest glances. And that was that. And now I'm thinking "Hey! You're SUPPOSED to notice these!" Life is perverse.

This was a non-event. A non-event like every other emotionally-loaded non-event to-date. And yeah, I'm older, so you can blame all the drama because of earrings on THAT if you want. But all this thinking and angst and what-ifs and panic and second guessing and hand-wringing is typical of every step. I think I'm supposed to learn that lesson and get over it, but the next step comes and the same thing goes down every time!

It's fun to have pierced ears after decades of longing for them! They feel like they belong!
    Lea

Really it is funny that you posted this, because I have been thinking so hard about getting my ears pierced too. I will probably go with stainless or silver because I cannot even wear gold. If 24 ct gold turns my neck or arm green what would it do if poked inside of me?

I was concerned about work. As I work with electrical troubleshooting my company has some pretty strict safety rules. We are not supposed to wear rings or watches. But I have seen several others wearing an earring so I guess I can wear two.

As far as what people seeing them think, well I really do not care anymore. I am beginning to look ...well....not so much like a man anymore anyway. I could hide it better but it is just too much work. I don't care if I look like I am "light in the loafers" because I probably do when I am at work.

I may just get them done at Southern Comfort. You know, something to remember it by!
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Congrats Lea. I had one ear done like 20 years ago attempting to be a manly man. That didn't work out too well so about 10 years ago I had the other one done. Long before I came clean to myself but truth be told the only reason I wanted two was because all the other women had two so why shouldn't I. Now I have 4 in one lobe, 4 in the other lobe and two in the cartiledge at the top. I love them all. Except for the first two my friend Michelle did them all with a sewing needle.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

That's funny Lea, and I liken to it. No problem if we are twenty to almost forty something, but get in the older generation and it is a really big thing. I've brought it up to my wife several times lately and she is not comfortable, mainly because she sees it as a tranny thing. She insists that clip-ons can be as effective, to which I disagree. So last week she goes out and buys me two sets of clip-ons which to my surprise, really are attractive.

I took advantage of it Saturday by wearing them around her all day long -- as Teresa.

I have a lot of clip ons, but they hurt after a while and to tell the truth I see so many really nice earrings for pierced ears that I want. Yeah I am going to do it.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Chicafriend!!! Are you ok?!! Has someone nabbed your user id and password??! Perhaps you suffer from a high fever this night, or have contracted the plague??! I mean, I don't recognize this writing style from you at all!!! Where are all the big words? Where is the efficiency of thought? Why have you gone on and on and on??!! You seem almost folksy even!! It's almost as if someone else altogether has composed your OP. As familiar as the style seems, though, I just can't quite put my finger on who it reminds me of . . . .

Today I ordered, among other clothes, two sets of "convertable" clipons. Now I can buy earrings that only come in pierced --- with these
    convertables one simply attach them to the pierced kind and wear them as clipons. Best of both worlds or does that only apply to CDing?
    Come in gold and silver
    Julie

Welcome to the world of stepping out of your comfort zone. In no time you will feel more comfortable and find people really could not care at all. Congratulations. Transition is all about going public and stepping out.

Good Job
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

To nobody in particular- you're growing boobs, and wondering what people might think of your earings?

Quote Originally Posted by tgirlceleste View Post
    To nobody in particular- you're growing boobs, and wondering what people might think of your earings?
    EXACTLY!!! Funny that you mention that, because I told her the exact same thing on the phone last week!!!

Hmmmmm . . . .

Let's see . . . .

Things people will notice . . . .

Boobs on someone they think (erroneously so) is a dude, or invisible glass earrings??!!

Quote Originally Posted by tgirlceleste View Post
    Celeste, You beat me to it! Wait till the boobies start to sprout! What are you going to do then?
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Leap
    as u transition u will notice that every body is to busy with their world, to be worrying about you! when I came out at work after 26 years my workers said they never suspected it after transitioning in front of them for over ten years.

I agree with Anne. I actually understood this posting.

I've been wearing leverbacks since forever. In my case, they don't go through any hole...they pressure fit between the two ends.

There are all kinds of designs, including danglies.

I'm a chicken with blood.

-stephani

Quote Originally Posted by Rogina B View Post
    Celeste, You beat me to it! Wait till the boobies start to sprout! What are you going to do then?
    As usual, Rogina, you are behind the curve. Lea is a good, ample B cup already. She is WAAAY past "sprouting." Which was the point of both my post and Celeste's. It's a perspective thing, intermixed with an innocent splash of humor.

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Congrats on the courage to take this step!

To anyone and everyone: Really, pierced ears on men are no longer a "thing". No one will care and few will notice. Want them, get 'em.
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

When you pierce your nips, THAT will be news : P
    Jk have fun with your new earrings!

Silver Member
    I loved my pierced ears when I got them, what a great feeling
    that outward expression of who you are, and people can see it

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    If I recall correctly, my mother asked me why I got my ears pierced; I said I felt like it, and that was pretty much that. No-one else has asked in the several years now that I've had them. I've gotten some nice complements on some of my earrings, and I do not recall even one instance where someone pointed them out in a negative sense.

I do admit that I still feel socially awkward if I am in borderline mode and I am wearing my down-to-the-shoulder 4 inch hoops. But dangles... smooth going.

Oh yes, except that my wife was disgusted that I continued to wear my 2 inch chrome-look hoops after the chrome wore off exposing the brass underneath. I was required to replace them with silver hoops.

In the Italian forum I follow about TS they say that all these details (earrings, long nails, also nail polish, long hair) are a "no issue" until you come out publicy, until you say "I am a ma'am, not a sir". Regarding boobs, I suppose that also that may be a no-issue, as some medications may give them so people would not too much assume anything...
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 08-29-2013 at 05:48 AM. Reason: PM sent

(Sigh) If you what people to notice your piercings .. you need to wear hoops the size of saucers .. not invisible studs .. every girl knows that .. but seriously each new step is fearful. Congratulations on this one.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilrain View Post
    When you pierce your nips, THAT will be news : P
    Eeyow! That is so not happening! Although ... never mind.

I did encourage Anne to, though, as EVERYONE knows it promotes miracle breast growth.

[edit]

The change from wanting these to be stealthy to suddenly wanting them noticed was a surprise. Just a little bit of that wanting to come out coming out, I think.

Arbon, you nailed it. I'm sitting here at the coffee shop and I just feel good.
    Last edited by LeaP; 08-29-2013 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Added comment
    Lea

In one of my denial phases, I joined a motorcycle club. Think Sons of Anarchy, without the gunrunning. It was normal for a biker to have his ears pierced. I usually wear hoops, often smaller ones, okay, wearing two inch hoops right now. Can't wear any earrings at work, due to working with food grade materials.

I know so many males with pierced ears, many with multiple piercings, that it's a nonissue.

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

I am so happy for you Lea. After starting a thread on this a while ago, and receiving great support and information from the girls here, my family shot me down in flames. Alas, no ponytail (I thought it was cool), no ink (not sure I'm a tattoo person anyway) and NO earrings (eye patch and parrot not withstanding).

So be glad you could do what you have wanted to.

Hugs, Robin

It's odd that my wife took so long (30+ years) to accept my femme side, but back then she urged me to go with piercings, then she did it for me.

Go figure.

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Ears just don't hurt, at least non cartilage piercings which I assume you're talking about. Now, the navel is pretty painful as there's a lot more flesh to push the needle through, no guns outside of the ears, but surprisingly the most painful thing I've had pierced was my nose... for some reason that hurt a ridiculous amount considering it's *really* not a very thick bit of your body to stick a needle through! though from speaking to friends the tongue is pretty bad Congratulations though, it's nice to be able to finally wear whatever you want in your ears
    Running, jumping, climbing trees, putting on makeup when you're up there, just like the army, except for the talking squirrels.

Facebook