Thread: Va

Aspiring Member

Va

I am at the VA for an appointment. Is there anything I should know?
    I came underdressed but it was hot outside so I removed the bra and forms and put them in the inside pocket of my coat.
    Considering I will be transferring to the California VA soon, should I mention my transexualism? I am being assigned a new doctor either way.

Update:

I just got home from the VA. They mostly talked to me about the high cholesterol. I didn't really mention my transsexualism because I am moving to California on Saturday and have to be assigned another general practitioner so I thought I should wait.
    What they did not allow me to wait for was the appointment with the dietitian.
    Does anyone know if high LDL has any effect on transitioning?
    Last edited by vetobob9; 08-29-2013 at 07:04 PM.

I'm not a dietitian, but I know my transition doc is always concerned about my levels. I think hormones can increase cholesterol readings, so if they are already high, that could be a concern.

Aspiring Member
    Veto, What are you waiting for? Is the VA just supposed to discover that you are a transsexual by running a few tests? You should have told them. You must tell them. Then you can start getting on with your life. Leanne

If you want to start hormones, you will need to keep the cholesterol and triglycerides under control. Estrogen can cause blood clotting, and if you have other clotting factors such as high blood pressure, high LDL, and/or obesity issues, the doctor will likely require you to get those under control first.

Keep in mind that the testosterone blockers and estrogen will also make it more difficult to lose weight. At weight watchers, I had to give up my extra 10 "boy points" because I was gaining weight otherwise.

You want to be a girl, so you might want to start eating like one. More salads with lots of leafy greens, more lean meats like turkey, chicken breast, and lean ham, and so on. Consider doing a program that can help you create a healthy food plan.

Things you should avoid are starches, sugars, most red meat, and anything high in saturated fat. Have you had your blood sugar and A1C checked?

There are medications the doctor can give you to help counteract clotting, but it's likely that the doctor will want you to get things under control with diet and light exercise first.

And you should let the dietician know that you are planning on transitioning as well. This will help her to adjust your diet for the lower metabolism once you start the HRT. If you have already started the HRT, you absolutely should tell your doctor ASAP. You need to have hormone levels checked to make sure that you are not wasting your time & money, and to make sure that you are not putting your health in jeopardy.

It wouldn't be much fun having nice pretty breasts if you also had a stroke, were paralyzed on one side, and couldn't talk or process language - now would it?
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

I think waiting may be a good idea; if you are only going to be there a short time. It also may be that California would be more representative and helpful.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbieL View Post
    If you want to start hormones, you will need to keep the cholesterol and triglycerides under control. Estrogen can cause blood clotting, and if you have other clotting factors such as high blood pressure, high LDL, and/or obesity issues, the doctor will likely require you to get those under control first.
    That is what the doctor prescribed.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 08-31-2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Please do not quote the whole post to add a few words