Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fakers, False Identities, Pretenders et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post

I would love to say that I always knew and I wasn't surprised, ...but I didn't and I was. Thankfully April uncovered her ruse.
    Her history always sounded too real to be true but I had the impression you had met her in person, that is why I bought her tale
    I had few exchanges with this person trough the time I've been on this forum, mostly about the attraction to guys, these were very harmless and innocent.

I can only imagine how the girls that confide on her intimate and personal stuff must be feeling....play with people feelings is utterly disgusting

Silver Member
    Why keep refering to this person as her it was all a great big lie some guy with a messed up fantasy

I don't know, I guess I try to assume there was a reason for everything.
    *shrug*

The whole thing seems a bit too in-depth for someone who isn't at the very least somewhat TG.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    ...One other personality does need to be addressed. There are people who through disability aren't able to actually do the things they talk about....
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    ...Yep. Go ahead and tell me that you know for sure that the person you are so busy trashing and whining about wasn't a quadraplegic confined to a wheelchair, taking hours, maybe days, to painfully type her posts out using a mouthstick. Or maybe she was a victim of a transsexual beating left paralyzed from the neck down, just trying to live out an online life that was her last shred of happiness.

Are you prepared to prove otherwise?
    Thank you, Persephone, for understanding what I was attempting to say.

Before there was the internet, there was amateur radio. Back in the '80s, at a hamfest, I met a person that I had chatted with quite a bit on the air. I was rather shocked to find that this person was in a wheelchair and only had limited use of his hands. For this person, the ability to interact with others without the stigma of his handicap was precious. I don't recall if this person had misled me about his personal activities or not, and furthermore I really didn't care. I was just happy that I could brighten an unfortunate person's day a bit.

Now, should a "faker" of this variety give advice about transition? the answer is probably "no", but many TS people seek out (and pay for) advice from a lot of people who haven't and won't transition. If the advice is valid, it doesn't really matter where it comes from.

I see more danger in the malicious fakers, the ones who do it just for the kicks of seeing others fall for their spiel or the ones who give intentionally false information including too-rosy transition stories. Those are the ones we need to guard against. If it sounds too good, it's probably false.

I have said, on several occasions: "Lies do not Become Us". Direct lies are one of the things that can set me off. But I know how lying and deception can become habitual in transfolk. And then some use lies for various reasons.

Some will try to get higher status in the "pretty hierarchy" by photoshopping models and whatnot.

Some will try to achieve higher status by saying their transition started younger than it did, or the knew at a younger age...because as we know "Younger is Better".

Or someone might say they've told their wife that they're Transgendered and deep in their hearts want to transition and that they're supportive...when their wife doesn't even know that they "dress" at all.

And there's self deception of various kinds, by CD's and TS's.

Not much can be done for it, except to keep one's eyes open....there are "signs" to see for those that can see them. It's why I'm harsh sometimes, some transfolk are too quick to take the easy path of deception, either in part or full.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

I never envied her. I don't envy anyone if I'm being honest. Persephone's post is a red herring and a straw-man at the same time. Perhaps she's in communication with this person and is being fed a whole new personality in preparation for a contrite return.
    Wow, Melissa! You and I have had occassional correspondence and have often been on the same side of issues so I'm a little surprised and hurt that you would hurl wild accusations at me. Perhaps the arrows I shot landed a little too close to home?

No, I am not currently in communication with this person. She and I did have a few PM conversations about private matters and, in truth, I had a few suspicions about some of the things she wrote because it didn't always add up, but my feelings about it were those that I posted previously, in the message that you responded to.

And just for the record, all of the pictures and posts that I make are true. I do not Photoshop pictures. At most I may crop them and use some of the automatic "enhancement" tools to improve the clarity of the final photo. Same with my posts. Sometimes I alter a name or a date in order to protect the identity of others, but that's it. The activities and events are real, my participation in them is real, and there are several people here on this forum who can vouch for that.

I have always admired a great deal of your apparent honesty and straight shooting, Melissa, and I would like you to extend me the same courtesy.

Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

If the faker was the person I think it was, then the photos were clearly not legit, and I thought everyone knew this. The profile pic was a face P'shopped onto a body, quite badly, and one of the avatars had Christiano Ronaldo in the background. I just didn't think it was polite or would go down well on the forums if I pointed it out. I didn't know much about her backstory though. She did contact me via PM on one occasion but I was reluctant to start up a conversation.

People just want attention I suppose. You have to wonder whether its the result of loneliness, or some kind of fetish. The fact that this person came onto a trans forum would perhaps suggest they were an admirer, but this is all just conjecture, I'm thinking aloud.
    Pursue happiness, with diligence

My blog: A Circular Square

I dunno, there's tonnes of material out there for an admirer that require less work.
    I've spoken with her in PMs a few times and noticed nothing unusual, the avatar was obviously not her but then again tonnes here have drawn ones or whatever so it's not like an avatar has much weight anyway.

Edit:
    Hell, it took 4 years before I got one.
    Last edited by whowhatwhen; 09-02-2013 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    If the advice is valid, it doesn't really matter where it comes from.
    Really?

It certainly matters if the person has passed themselves off as a someone who has faced the same demons as you when in fact they have not. How would you feel if you and I had become friends (huge stretch) and I was telling you stories of how I handled my crossdressing with my wife, and you were asking my advice on certain things and I was happy to give you my opinion on how to handle various situations.

After a couple of years it comes out that I wasn't even married and in fact I wasn't even a crossdresser. How would you feel after chatting with me for hours on IM? After telling me intimate details about your relationship and your fantasies?

It's absolutely bizarre to me that some people don't seem to care about integrity or authenticity, but this time I can definitely say I'm not really surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

I don't think it's a matter of not caring so much as actually verifying it being problematic.
    Unless people meet IRL then how are you supposed to know?

All we have to go on is text and maybe whatever pictures we decide to post.

Banned Read only
    It's absolutely bizarre to me that some people don't seem to care about integrity or authenticity, but this time I can definitely say I'm not really surprised.
    ROFL. I have no sympathy for liars, and in NO WAY do I condone the actions of the person in question, but really, it seems to me that the person in question dared to differ with the party line of this site, which is:

1. Transition is a horrible idea. You CDers stick with your wives and don't even think about it!
    2. Every transition is a nightmare - it is the worst possible thing you can go through!
    3. Anyone who posts anything positive is probably lying.
    4. Most of the CDers who transition ultimately did this to themselves. They should've chosen differently!
    5. What's GD? We won't give you a straight answer - but remember, as bad as we make transition sound, it must be worse than what you are going through right?
    6. You aren't a transsexual - no not at all. Back to the CD forum with thee!
    7. I know you are asking a desperate question - but I'm going to use your thread for my own personal soap box, and if what I say in reply sounds bad for you, tough shit, I wasn't talking to you.
    8. Don't fall into the easy trap of transitioning when you don't really need to! It's a slippery slope and easy to just kind of stumble into this! (Docs must just give this stuff out like candy, I guess.)
    9. You'll be miserable - this is hopeless.

I believe there are a lot more people than just the person in question who post untrue stuff - it's just theirs follows the party line, so nobody calls 'em on it. The amount of hogwash here is unbelievable sometimes.

Have a super-cool night believing whatever you want though!

<3

Anyway, overly positive bullshit isn't the problem here. Sure, it could be - but thanks to the diligence of the members and the party line here, well, I've been in emergency rooms that are cheerier places than the TS forum!

Just remember girlies - there is no hope!

PS. The only thing missing from this thread is the issuance of torches to the angry mob.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 09-02-2013 at 03:18 AM.

Untitled

Moderation note

This thread is beginning to take a turn to "them and us". That stops NOW. There is some interesting discussion taking place and I would hate to see such a worthwhile topic closed down because it turns into a battle of one side against the other.

Keep your comments in relations to the OP, if you want to discuss CDs v TSs take it to PM.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Much of the commentary on this person sounds pretty self righteous to me. Maybe if you considered for a moment that how you claim to feel is how most of your contemporaries have felt when you told them you would transition. And don't tell me it's not the same thing. Whatever the motives are for someone to make up such an elaborate story online, I think that person likely has lost something as a result of being "outed" here. Whether she is a man or a woman I would venture to guess a pretty lonely human being who was seeking a way out of her loneliness. She wasn't just there for a hoot, if you remember, she frequented this place almost daily for a very long time. And mostly she was intelligent and kind to those she communicated with.
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

You are absolutely right Katherine...many of us enjoyed hearing from her and shared a lot of ourselves. What is kind of amazing is that "back in her early days" not one of the more "local"[West coast] girls ever met up with her,yet communicated freely with her via PM's. Being so "stealthy" back then[single,etc] wouldn't have held water as an excuse for not meeting up,yet it seems that no one here actually tried doing so.Sort of amazing in itself!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Platinum Member
    Ok....very slow on the uptake here. I think I figured it out. Am I disappointed? Yes, do I think, there but for the grace of God, go I. Nah. Maintaining a hoax takes a good deal of effort, just keeping the story straight. But supplementing with pictures takes greater hubris.

But I confess...that's not me on either my avatar or profile

I talked to her privately 4 or 5 years ago and called her out on her perfect story and fake pictures..

By PM she explained in details that her pictures did have some "touch up" and then regaled me with stories about her fiancé..

I had many private conversations where she bragged about her success and used it as a wedge to argue her POV..

she drove one of the best people this forum ever had off this forum

good riddance...

Amazing Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    But I confess...that's not me on either my avatar or profile
    I would like to confess here and now, that the unattractive photos of me posted here, were not real; only the atractive ones were, LOL.

I think I already confessed years ago, that I had fixed by blurring part of the face in one of the photos I posted, (using GIMP, hey its free, not Photoshop), because the bandaids I had carefully cut out to cover my moustache, did not do a totally effective job of that. But I looked so good in that tan skort, I just had to post it, that and others here wanted to see a photo of me, and that was the best I could manage at the time. (Obviously the attempt to brake my crossdressing by growing a moustache and even a beard, did not work I went 24/7 a year later.)
    Last edited by Beth-Lock; 09-02-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Long live google image search. Make-believe is all fun and games until people really start to trust your fake you. I feel sorry for the ones hurt by all of this.
    Last edited by Nigella; 09-02-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: That is a step too far, this is not a witch hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Martin View Post
    She wasn't just there for a hoot, if you remember, she frequented this place almost daily for a very long time. And mostly she was intelligent and kind to those she communicated with.
    I agree with this... I made friends with her over the past year and didn't really question her being real or not. I mean she was a long time member here. Any struggling TS would like to live her life as it seemed ideal and the stealth part seemed believable. I had lots of laughs with her and found her to be non judgmental with me and looked at her as a mentor. I too shared personal info with her as I felt comfortable with her. I still believe she is of good character and would protect her friends. In fact I saw her protect her friends here. She made my time spent here more fun.

I can also see where people would be angry by feeling conned by her. Many others seemed to have shared personal info with somebody that they found they can't trust now. I think in her quest to remain stealth she got carried away with her charades. That's what I think but maybe I'm just too naive?

Quote Originally Posted by whowhatwhen View Post
    4 Years?!
    Do you guys have a file on everyone or something?
    Not a file, I just have a very long memory... and every single email, PM etc since I joined the forum

It's one thing to join the forum using a false name, you have to know Tamara isn't my real name, but still, everything I share on this forum is true, people know me, I've met a few of them, I've even been to the States and stayed with Sharon for a month, she can vouch for me

But those that have poured their hearts out to people who have made up such stories, who the hell knows what they are doing with this information? People get hurt, it sets them back. As for the paraplegic comment, seriously... that was uncalled for!
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Untitled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post

... you have to know Tamara isn't my real name, but still, everything I share on this forum is true, people know me, I've met a few of them, I've even been to the States and stayed with Sharon for a month, she can vouch for me
    and once met, never forgotten
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

You cheeky madam Nigella

Anyone wants to know who it is can PM me.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    You know this thread reminds me of other famous fakers. I really liked a Comedian by the name of Mike Warnkey, I loved his story and some of the aspects really resonated with me, His comedic outlook on life also inspired me. It was a sad day when it was revealed that most of his story and his life was either a fake or highly exaggerated.

The hard thing about fakers is ultimately there is a grain of truth about them, but they want to be 'the story' and to fit in so bad that they build an elaborate fiction , when they would be just as welcome as themselves .

The other thing about fakers is that when they are finally discovered , people in general fall on them like a pack of ravenous wolves and tear them apart, instead of giving them a chance to fess up , apologize and restore them to the community.

So what is worse the fakers or the people who tear them apart afterwards ?
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Silver Member
    The fakers.......................

Amazing Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly DeWinter View Post
    So what is worse the fakers or the people who tear them apart afterwards ?

Quote Originally Posted by arbon View Post
    The fakers.......................
    Or is it just a matter of two wrongs don't make a right.