Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween question...

Halloween question...

OK, I need some opinions here:

For a closeted crossdresser, it's pretty easy to get away with dressing up once for Halloween, but I've always figured trying to do it again might start to arouse some suspicions.

But, is there a "statue of limitations?" That is, the first time I crossdressed for the annual Halloween party was 2008...has enough time passed that I might be able to do it again? I expect there might be a few wisecracks, and that I can handle.

Amusing aside: my wife and I were trying to come up with some costume ideas tonight, and she said (jokingly), "I'll go as Robin Thicke and you can go as Miley Cyrus!"

Oh, ha ha, funny!

I honestly don't think you would have anything to worry about, especially if you made an effort in whatever direction you went in.

You would be surprised in how people actually think.

I'm an ex-Chicago resident myself, but for two years only. I love the town.

I would say go for it! I don't know if there is a statue of limitation per se', but enough time has certainly passed. Girl it up and enjoy it.
    "Oh my God, I realized, it's not that we're screwed up; it's just that we've been trained to thnk so."
    ~Rick Novic, Alice in Genderland

Banned Read only
    Hey Rudy Guilliani has done it multiple times, and no one really questions his masculinity. I guess it depends on how you present en homme. Are you the manly manly man that everyone got a kick out of seeing you dress up? If so do it again, and cite how THEY enjoyed it as part of your decision. Work is tricky. I'm in the same boat. I would love to go to work in my sandals and some cute shorts, but I work for a conservative newspaper that employs many fundamentalist Christians and social conservatives. You want to make money and be you. If anything, do it this year and see how it goes. If it goes well, then just keep doing it year after year. There's always the excuse that you are borrowing clothes so it is a cheap "costume."

On a personal note my ex wife had that attitude. One Halloween I wanted to dress up again, and she was against it. She claimed you do it anyways, so people will know you are just dressing as you (as if that should be a problem). Good luck and much love girl. Keep us posted. I want to use Halloween to get a nice French maid outfit for when I clean.

Great question, one I agonized over for many years...until I learned to not give a... but the answer is no problem (only if you make it one). Just do it. Don't feel the need to explain beyond ...its fun, I did it before and it was enjoyable, so why not? ...besides you all ready have the makeup!

...and my advice is based on doing it at least 1/2 dozen Halloweens in a row. People don't really care. If you have a great costume and you have a fun attitude they will embrace it.

I am talking about public parties and friends here, not at work. My view on work, you want to go as something boring and mundane as possible because you want people to remember you for your skill not your costume.
    Last edited by Chickhe; 09-02-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    Chickie

It has been observed the Halloween is christmas for crossdressers! Dress as you wish and enjoy the evening!

Concerning the "statute of limitations," if you find a good costume why not stick with it and perfect it? Every year your costume will be that much better and people, if they remember, will look forward to seeing the improvement.

I do agree with Chickie about work. It's not the place to get too far off the wall.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Banned Read only
    I hope you realize that your coworkers already talk about you just as soon as you leave the room. No matter what your hobbies are or whether they know about them.

Which is more important. How they treat you or what they say about you?

Wear what you want. If they decide to TREAT you differently because of your costume choice for Halloween, they are obviously not very bright.

Are they? I have a feeling you are MORE worried about one of them "confronting" you about your choice. There are a # of responses you could make to put them in their proper place.

I'll GIVE you one easy excuse. I'm betting you 5 bucks you won't do it. And/or, consider it a dare.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    I think you'll be OK, Arianna. Dress as you please and enjoy yourself!

That reminded me...when I wear my witch costume to work for the costume contest in October, I'll still have to have my security badge on hand! I had thought that, since the dress has large bell sleeves, I might have to sew a little loop of cord inside one of the sleeves, right on the seam, that I could clip my badge-holder (one of those retractable ones) onto. As it turns out, no such sewing is necessary; I had forgotten the dress has a back tie, and, with it tied, I can clip my badge holder onto that, and it's easily accessible yet inconspicuous there (with my arm at my side, that big sleeve covers it). I'm pretty sure my GG coworkers go through this same trouble in deciding how to wear their own badges.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Blondes Have More Fun Jennifer Kelly's Avatar
    I'm dressing up for Halloween this year as a goth chick. The last time I dressed up en femme for Halloween was 25 years ago when I was still in high school. So I think I'm good. I'm slowly putting together the pieces. I got a pair of knee boots w/ 3.75" heels off Ebay that should be here tomorrow. I can't wait.

If the last time you dressed was 2008, I think you're good not arousing too much suspicion.

Go get'em and have some fun Arianna!! Miley ought to turn some heads for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Once a year won't hurt anything. I dressed as a goth chick for Halloween last year. I think it was last year when I dressed as a woman for a celebration for Leslie who died. He was a famous CD who walked the streets of Austin, TX. I had everyone fooled. They thought I was a real woman.

Do it well and people will be impressed, they then look forward to see what you can do next year.
    In the meantime you might come out any way.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

There's another Halloween costume thread going and I posted to it so I'll just paste my response to that thread here:

The danger of going to the party as a female is that you will do a good job and people will figure out that you do this more than once a year.

If you don't want them to suspect that you are a crossdresser, wear a guy costume. Or, do the "woman thing" but really badly. Stuff a bra with socks and make sure it's too high on your chest. Wear a really cheap wig, leave a beard shadow and wear too much makeup and do it poorly. Wear a pair of flashy heels but stumble around in them. Wear a too tight for your age miniskirt and fishnet stockings. Paint your nails badly.

Halloween isn't really the "crossdresser's holiday" it's made out to be. It's fine for a beginner, but I wouldn't be happy doing what I posted. Now if you want to go out on the town where people won't know you, it would be a great holiday because people won't be sure if you're a GG or in costume. If they read you, fine, you just did great with your costume.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

If you go as Miley, you won't need a wig. I say go for it.

If I intended to stay in the closet, I wouldn't do it more than once in many many years. So think long and hard about this before you take the step--it might be a step toward coming out, which is fine if that's what you want to do.

Back when I was actively dressing up, I enjoyed Halloween as a time when I could go out in public without worrying about being read. I wouldn't do it anywhere where I would expect to encounter people I knew, though. There's a different mentality in people's minds about how people are dressed on Halloween. I was close to passable, but not 100%, so normally I could let myself be seen from a distance (and enjoyed doing so), but not close up, especially in daylight. On Halloween, I enjoyed walking around freely and going into stores and such, because there was less risk of hearing hurtful remarks or of being harassed. Many people who saw me no doubt realized I was a guy, but hey, it's Halloween ... no problem. Some guys would look at me and smile and/or give me a thumbs-up or whatever, and I'm sure they knew I was a guy, but Halloween freed them up to enjoy the way I looked.

Yes your time is up, get all dress up and have fun, I have dress for the last couple of years and my SO told me I can't this year, living in a very small town and area, there would be so questions but on the other man I really dont' care anymore, if t was not for still having a daughter in high school I would go out everyday, or at least at Halloween because these cowboys around here are still living in the cookie cutter for what males have be like, special in the big city you will have a wonderful time, besides women really enjoy us dressing up as women on Halloween have fun, hugs.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

I've done femme 3 times to work over the last 7 or 8 years. Usually as someone, the first time was as an old office manager and the women I worked with "talked" me into it and did my make-up and my wife and them helped me with my outfit. The next year I did the hippie chick look. then I skipped a few years and did Mimi from the Drew Carey show about 3 yrs ago (blue eyeshadow, loud dress and hair). This year I'm debating what to wear.

Thanks for all the advice. I don't really have any desire to dress for work. I think that would just be awkward. So I'm talking about a friend, evening, no-kids type of party.

Of course, I suppose were biased here!

Platinum Member
    Hi Arianna, Just dress up and go for it.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Silver Member
    I think that the main thing different about dressing on Halloween is that we feel more comfortable. For the most part, who really cares what other people think about what we wear? We should have the confidence to dress as we want all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AriannaRenee View Post
    OK, I need some opinions here:

For a closeted crossdresser, it's pretty easy to get away with dressing up once for Halloween, but I've always figured trying to do it again might start to arouse some suspicions.

But, is there a "statue of limitations?" That is, the first time I crossdressed for the annual Halloween party was 2008...has enough time passed that I might be able to do it again? I expect there might be a few wisecracks, and that I can handle.

Amusing aside: my wife and I were trying to come up with some costume ideas tonight, and she said (jokingly), "I'll go as Robin Thicke and you can go as Miley Cyrus!"

Oh, ha ha, funny!
    Arianna, I think 5 years is plenty of time. I say go for it!

Myself, I plan to crossdress on Halloween for the first time this year. I bring it up because my costume is the character in your avatar.

you may get some static on it but think about this Halloween comes around once a year, take advantage of the acceptance of it.

also know the guys that try to look like clowns in a dress, will be forgotten. the people that are serious about crossdressing, could be made as a CD or TV because of the extra effort, they know your serious.

I look at the fact I am serious about looking female what better time dress up time is there? at least on halloween, your somewhat excepted.

go for it, or you will miss the moment.
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

My experience is the ONLY people who notice are married women who have husbands who cross dress. No one else really pays that close attention to what costume you wear on Halloween.

In my experience, if the guy dressed up is wearing a bra that comes even close to fitting - it's his. And the more demure or sophisticated they look, the better quality the wig, the more serious they are.

I graduated from college and started working and for Halloween a co-worker suggested I go in drag: her husband had done so the year before. I was so closeted at the time it startled me, but basically I haven't stopped since.

I've also learned from interesting experience that you must make sure you remove all the eye shadow before work the next day! And the surgical glue used to bond breast forms to your skin will aleays fail at the absolute worst possible time. Also that if you are not drunk and have your license, most police officers at a drunk driving checkpoint could care less whether you are in jeans or an LBD. Your best GG friends will always do a better job on makeup than you can, not to mention picking accessories. A smile and a joke will defuse uncomfortable situations 99 out of 100 times. Etc. Have fun! But - Miley Cyrus?

I say go ahead and enjoy. Maybe your so will enjoy it enough to want to see more of your girly side

Quote Originally Posted by Msora View Post
    I bring it up because my costume is the character in your avatar.
    Nice! I've thought the same thing! Be sure to post some pictures.

I think one of the keys to making it work is having an actual costume, rather than just going as "a woman." Have fun with it! Death, Elvira, Wonder Woman, even the good old sexy witch. As long as it's a costume, it's more fun!