Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculed.. Is this legal?

Ridiculed.. Is this legal?

The other day I was walking dressed from a bar in the gay neighborhood along with a TS. We passed across four guys sitting outside their hostel. They started shouting "beautiful boys" "hey boys" "come on guys" etc loudly. We just kept walking past them.

Later we saw a cop car pass by and we were wondering if we should have waved to stop him and tell him about the incident. Was what the four guys did legal?

There is probably some statute or other that they violated, but the question is whether the cops would be interested in figuring out which statute it is and then tracking down the guys who were yelling at you, witnesses, etc. The probable answer is "no" since all the guys would do is deny saying anything.

Ignore the idiots. Don't let them determine whether you are going to have a nice evening or not. You might also take your business to a better neighborhood where such behavior is frowned upon.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Actually, They were still standing there when we saw the cop car at the end of the block.

Silver Member
    Sara - Sorry for you that it happened. You did the right thing by ignoring the creeps and walking away.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    You did the right thing, Sara. If those young men have so little happiness in their lives that it amuses them to make catcalls like that at a couple of ladies who are minding their own business, they don't deserve even the attention you'd give them by reporting them.

If they had threatened or endangered you in some fashion, though, that'd be something else again. Don't hesitate to throw the book at actual assailants!

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Is it illegal to call out to someone? Did they threaten you? Did you tell them to stop? ...all things that matter when the law is concerned, but does it really matter if its legal? Leave the police free to catch more serious criminals and just move on, get away as quickly as possible.
    Chickie

Essentially they were exercising their right of free speech and it is extremely doubtful that the police could do anything about such behavior unless they were causing a public disturbance or they threatened you. Even then the police would be powerless to do anything unless they actually witnessed the guys causing a disturbance or heard the treats. Except in rare cases, such as domestic violence*, police have to witness a misdemeanor before they can take any action. In your case even if threats had been made it would come down to your word against their word unless there were witnesses.

I suspect that if those guys continue to harass passers-by the police will eventually notice and stop and talk to them, pointing out that such antics might not be the safest form of entertainment in the Hillcrest area.

In any case your wisest and safest thing to do is to completely ignore them and just walk on by, not always the easiest thing to do I know. Now if you possess a Black Belt in one of the martial arts and your confident you can take these four low-life idiots then go ahead and tell them that you consider them pond-scum that couldn’t fight their way out of a paper bag. Once you’ve dispatched said low-life’s you simply explain to the police that you are sorry for the disturbance but you were attacked by these four thugs while walking along the sidewalk minding your own business and you consider it your own good fortune that you took a self-defense glass.

* Domestic violence is a special case because in California police are required to make an arrest if there is physical evidence that domestic violence has occurred – scratches, red marks, bruises, etc.
    Babs

The winner always turn their heads and look at the positive side! You did good!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Everything they did was perfectly legal. If it were me I'd have lifted up my skirt. Grabbed my crotch, given them the finger and blown them a kiss
    Be whoever you want to be. Screw what others think. It's their loss....

Best to ignore them. If you wanted to make an issue of it or press charges, you would be in the spotlight, unless that doesn't really matter to you. Just a thought.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Sorry for the experience, Sara. But you did right, best to ignore. Speech is proceed up to the point of theats of violence. The law also considers the physical actions of the people.. moving toward you in a threatening manor, blocking the sidewalk, etc. Police can also use "disturbing the peace" charge for any disruptive behavior they witness. But even though these people probably weren't breaking the law, I wouldn't hesitate telling the police.. The name calling could lead to more serious acts, so they'd want to know. xxx

Pay no attention and just keep walking...no harm meant,so no harm done..Police would just laugh...
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

I am sorry Sarah,
    I know it is embarrassing and disturbing, but as others have pointed out...
    "Tell someone that cares."
    We do, but it is a hazard we live with and a fact of life.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    It is unfortunate that there are people out there that go past the point of just taking notice to someone they see as different or not quite the norm. More unfortunate is there are those that have to speak and remark on it! As far as legality goes, although you might have been intimidated or embarrassed it did not seem as though anything went past the point to be threatening. Ignoring things like that and not being defensive or confrontational is the best course of non action. It was best you did what you did! Ignore others ignorance.

You got read by some louts who thought saying something out loud was appropriate. Yeah, it's legal. Unfortunate, but still legal. Brush it off.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

You are in the USA. If you were black and they were white and if they had used any racial slurs, that would probably be illegal. As a crossdresser, you have no such protection.

GGs sometimes have to endure the same sort of unwanted attention and comments. All you can do is continue to walk away. They may grow up someday, they may not.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Sounds like Free Speech in action and unless it's totally derogatory or obscene you probably would not have any legal issue here.
    Best just to ignore the oafs and continue on your way.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Suck it up and keep on walking. It is a fight not worth having. (You might break a nail.)
    joank
    Southern California

(some) boy's will be boy's - the ridicule is there for the asking and unless you are so convincing to present your self as 100% female it can/may/will happen -- ignoring the blokes was the proper action...............................Debra

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    Sounds like Free Speech in action .............
    Ask Paula Deen how that "free speech" thing works!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Think I'd have gone over and see what they wanted.... Maybe they just wanted to know where you bought your purse? or got you makeup done?
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    What they did was wrong but not breaking a law.Best to walk on by and not pay any attention to them.

Speech cannot be held illegal by the state unless such speech advocates imminent violence. In particular, "the constitutional guarantees of free speech and free press do not permit a State to forbid or proscribe advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action" Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444 (1969)

So the quick answer is making any comment, while perhaps boorish, cannot be held illegal. So even if California wished to make such speech illegal, the constitution protects the individuals right to say almost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    Ask Paula Deen how that "free speech" thing works!
    She exercised her right of free speech, and was held accountable for what she said. The Constitution doesn't say there won't be consequenses.

Being rude isn't illegal and neither is being offensive. I think you'd need to reasonably fear for your safety before any question of legality would enter into it.